Foreign Naval Visits 2004

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Foreign Naval Visits 2004

Dutch Submarine Dolfijn is back on Cork City Quays again,should be till weekend.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

RN vessels in Dublin

Saw two RN vessels tied up on John Rogerson's Quay today, a minesweeper and a survey vessel. I'd no camera with me so I didn't get any shots.
    "The dolphins were monkeys that didn't like the land, walked back to the water, went back from the sand."

Comment

According to the radio this morning there is a few German Naval vessels in Dublin Port. I didn't catch the entire announcement so I don't know exactly where they are, but I hear that they are open to the public today until 3.

If they're still here tomorrow I'll go looking for them & take a few pic for ye.
      "The dolphins were monkeys that didn't like the land, walked back to the water, went back from the sand."

Comment

Royal Navy Ship in Dublin

HMS Cornwall F99 is currently (Wed 11 Mar) in Dublin port. I saw her from the otherside of the basin so no info as to how long she is staying.

Comment

French Navy Tug in Cork at the moment was involved in a minor prang earlier this week,while making fast alongside Custom House Quay. She was manouvering between Asgard 2 which was tied up ahead of her,and Jeanie Johnson which was astern. It seems contact was made with a spar of the Replica Famine ship,causing some damage to her.
          Nothing serious though,apparently...
          Fail to prepare....prepare to FAIL!

Comment

Probably cost the tax payer another ten million though!
            Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Two Belgian Minehunters, the Primula and Aster,are due in Cork from friday May 28 to tuesday June 1.
              The Primula,which is based at Zeebrugge, was launched in 1990. Both Vessels are 51.5m lang and are ships whose design was based on a Co-operative project between Dutch and french navies. because they all have names of Flowers,this class of ship was called the "flower Class"
              Including officers there are 36 on Board the Primula, and 52 on the Aster.
              Both Ships are on a routine courtesy call and will be open to the public over the weekend. The ships are expected to arrive about 9am on the friday.

More Naval Vessels are expected next month. From June 14 to 16 a number of fast patrol boats from Germany are expected to make a Courtesy call to the city Quays. Details to follow.

Comment

French Navy in Galway

Passing the docks in Galway this morning saw 4 small French naval vessel along with the L.E Aisling. Only managed to catch 1name the "Leopard". 2 Officers on board armed with Famas looked very well it did.

Comment

Reminds me of a time when some french ships visited cork and someone told me of their presence. On inquiring of their names i got a confident reply.
                  "One was called Honeur another called Valeur......"

never mind.....
                  Fail to prepare....prepare to FAIL!

Comment

I saw a funny thing today while watching the Belgians depart(Yes I have photos...of course)
                    On the quayside,as well as an artic loading fuel(the ships carry a fuel reserve that is never touched..) there was a 50 tonne crane.

I spoke to the crane driver and asked him what was he lifting....
                    "Not sure "he replied sheepishly.."that ... I think" he said pointing to the gangway(Property of Port of cork)"and another between the 2 ships"

Thats right. A 50 tonne crane used to move a 50kg(max) aluminium gangway.
                    The liason officer thought it was a case of using a Jackhammer to break an acorn, or some such simile..
                    Crane driver didnt mind. He got paid for the 6 hours either way. I have a movie clip of this manouver in action if anyone wants to contact me for it..Its a biggie.... The sight of a 15 foot plank being lifted over the masts of this ship is impressive,verging on the sublime...

Comment

anything in Cork this weekend??

Is there any foreign naval vessels in Cork this weekend??:-patriot:

Comment

Germans as mentioned above are due monday,I believe..More details later.

Comment

From Monday to Wednesday a number of german "Mine warfare vessels" are due at Horgans Wharf.
                          The Vessels are the
                          Mosel (A512)(similar to Main that is mentioned earlier on this thread)

Hameln Class

Herten (M1089)
                          Kulmback (M1091)
                          Passau (M1096)

Frankenthal Class

Sulzbach Rosenberg (M1062)
                          Frankenthal (M1066)
                          Bad Rappenau (M1067)

Comment

Aa mentioned above,here are the belgians...and the crane.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Germans should be on the quays by now..Will try to Get photos later..

Comment

Working...
                              X