X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

08 November 2006

Warships ‘not welcome’, say campaigners

By Eoin English
    ANTI-WAR campaigners protested in Cork Harbour last night over visits by American warships.

They also suggested that Cobh’s business community is “misguided” by thinking such visits are good for the town.

About a dozen members of the Irish Anti-War movement held a candle-light vigil on the town’s quay as the USS Mitscher, a guided missile destroyer which has been berthed in the town since last week, made preparations to sail after a six-day courtesy visit.

The 154-metre long vessel and its crew of 311 has seen service in the US-led invasion of Iraq and is armed with several Tomahawk cruise missiles.

It is the third American naval vessel to visit the harbour town in six months — the USS Sullivan visited in July followed by the training ship, the State of Maine.

Protest organiser, John Jeffries, said such vessels were not welcome in Cork.

The visits, and the continuing use of Shannon Airport by American troops, are a symptom of the Government’s abandonment of our neutrality, he said.

“The USS Mitscher is a warship from a belligerent imperial power and is not welcome in Cork harbour or anywhere in this country,” he said.

“There are some people in the town who think this is a great thing.

“Business people have a misguided idea that it’s good for the town. But at what cost?”

Mr Jeffries said people should remember the appalling casualty rate in Iraq, recently estimated by the medical journal The Lancet at over 650,000 people.

“We are not anti-American. We welcome American visitors to Cobh but they should leave their weapons of mass destruction behind,” he said.

A spokesman for the Port of Cork said port authorities are requested by the Department of Foreign Affairs to extend all normal courtesies to visiting naval vessels.

Almost 20 naval vessels from Holland, Germany, Pakistan, Britain, New Zealand and Australia, called to the port during the Cork 2005 celebrations last year.

The Kiwis were here? Bet thats news to them.....
    Indymedia takes over de paper. The photos in todays examiner refer to the ship as "USS Mitscher dog 57".

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

They made a big hoopla in Cobh because some aul ones couldnt go for there daily walk along Deep Water Quay..get over it I say.

Comment

The USS Mitscher is a warship from a belligerent imperial power and is not welcome in Cork harbour or anywhere in this country,” he said.

You'd swear by the sounds of it the ship was one of those Galactic empire Star destroyers with Darth Vader on board. First its these Galway Anit-war crusties, now these muppets. I think they should lay of the weed while watching Starwars, or at least stop trying to explain real world politics through the medium of George Lucas's films
        "The Question is not: how far you will take this? The Question is do you possess the constitution to go as far as is needed?"

Comment

If you saw this jeffries fellow, it makes the whole episode even funnier.

Comment

The Dutch Submarine Zeeleeuw is currently on the Quays in Cork. The Walrus class, with their distinctive X planes and Sail mounted fin are regular visitors to Cork.

Comment

Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
              If you saw this jeffries fellow, it makes the whole episode even funnier.
              I saw a picture of him protesting, he reminded me of Richie Kavanagh

Comment

Back when I was around 12, my father was contacted by an old ship mate of his from the dutch merchant navy. He was in cork and saw my fathers name when he was looking for some marine supplies. Turned out he was an officer on board the Royal Dutch Navy Submarine Tijgerhaai berthed in Cork at the time. Got to go on board and have a full tour of the ship. So wish I had a camera back then. Captain even gave me one of his leather note pads with the ships and Dutch navy insignia on it. Seeing Zeeleeuw reminded me of that great memory. Thanks Goldie!
                "The Question is not: how far you will take this? The Question is do you possess the constitution to go as far as is needed?"

Comment

Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
                  The Dutch Submarine Zeeleeuw is currently on the Quays in Cork. The Walrus class, with their distinctive X planes and Sail mounted fin are regular visitors to Cork.
                  Amazing, I was down there on Sunday and had to take the photos as it bucketed down on me. Despite the weather - absolutely horrendous - there was a biggish crowd there, maybe 10-15 people. And despite the Dutch ex-participation in Iraq, not a protester to be seen - not a squeek on indymania.... proves that the protestors are not anti-war, just anti American.

Anyway, here are my photos - Front, back and the X planes.
                  Attached Files

Comment

saw her sister boat the Tiger I believe, in Cork, must be 8 years ago, up close,cool looking.
                    Dr. Venture: Why is it every time I need to get somewhere, we get waylaid by jackassery?

Dr. Venture: Dean, you smell like a whore

Comment

• That class has no "Tiger". However an earlier type, the Zwaardvis class, had similar Sail mounted Fin but no X-planes, one of which was named Tijgerhaai. They were retired some years ago and the sale got complicated. I am unsure whether they were scrapped or Sold to Malaysia. Tijgerhaai was in Cork on May 28 1993.

see http://forum.irishmilitaryonline.com...5&postcount=99

Comment

• For the non-dutch speakers, Tijgerhaai means "Tiger Shark"

Just rememebered, while getting the tour, walked into the torpedo room. There the crew had a sheet strung between two torpedos watching some film through a projector. Just as I walked in (bear in mind only 13) the woman in the film popped a table tenis ball out from...... yup you guessed it. Funny as f&%k.

Every time i see "Netherlands", it reminds me of that little gem.

Recall the Chief Weapons Officer telling me all about how they're able to steer or humanly control the torpedo in the water. Same method as a TOW.
                        Last edited by ZULU; 20 November 2006, 19:10.

Comment

• And Zwaardvis means "Swordfish"

Comment

• Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
                            That class has no "Tiger". However an earlier type, the Zwaardvis class, had similar Sail mounted Fin but no X-planes, one of which was named Tijgerhaai. They were retired some years ago and the sale got complicated. I am unsure whether they were scrapped or Sold to Malaysia. Tijgerhaai was in Cork on May 28 1993.

see http://forum.irishmilitaryonline.com...5&postcount=99
                            wow, 93....I feel old now

thanks GF
                            Dr. Venture: Why is it every time I need to get somewhere, we get waylaid by jackassery?

Dr. Venture: Dean, you smell like a whore

Comment

• Looks like we missed out on a photo oppertunity in Waterford last weekend with two of the River class bing alongside the north wharf...HMS Mersey..and HMS Severn. Very poor picture in tye Munster Express..not worth scanning...but they were there.
                              Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Working...
                              X