L.E Eithne visit to Argentina

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• L.E Eithne visit to Argentina

I just saw on the 6 o clock news that Eithne is set to depart for Argentina.
    This is another big milestone for the ever evolving Navy.
    I know a few guys onboard so best of luck to them and all the crew.

Admiralante Brown, the founder of the argie Navy was an irishman, I think.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Thats why they're going over, The Argentinian Navy is 150 years in existance this year.
      In 2004 a group of Argentinian delegates visited Foxford (the birthplace of Brown).
      http://www.irishseamensrelativesasso...rch%202004.htm

Comment

Comment

She's one robot in fairness to her.

Comment

Hi there
            What value is to be gained from this trip? Is it just a waste of budget? What possible experience will the crew get, that they could not get in home waters? How does it affect the existing patrol/leave rosters for the stay-at-homes? Will they pay a courtesy call to the RN at Port Stanley? Be a shame not to after going all that way?
            regards
            GttC

Comment

You find that these trips, like the Hong Kong visit of Niamh some years ago, are used by irish industry, and the Irish enterprise board to promote irish business abroad. I wouldnt be surprised if there was a resupply/stopover in Liberia along the way too.

Comment

Hi Goldie
                A bit of peaceful gunboat diplomacy? I hope the wear and tear of a 20000 mile trip don't lead to it's premature retirement.
                regards
                GttC

Comment

She's one robot in fairness to her.
                  ... but you'd still give her a good smack on the arse.

Every year you/I tend to see a group of foreign naval personnel milling around the top of Grafton Street. They wear short tunics/jackets and carry ceremonial daggers/scabbards - are these Argies?
                  Cannon to right of them,
                  Cannon to left of them,
                  Cannon in front of them
                  Volley'd and thunder'd;
                  Storm'd at with shot and shell,
                  Boldly they rode and well,
                  Into the jaws of Death,
                  Into the mouth of Hell
                  Rode the six hundred.

Comment

Naval uniforms..short tunics...that narrows it down....NOT.

Comment

GttC,

If a foreign nation feels it needs to honour an Irishman as a national hero, I'd be well pleased.
                      If you have to do it, you always have to do it right. Either it makes a difference, or it’s good practice so that when it does make a difference, it gets done right.

-Me.

Comment

Originally posted by GoneToTheCanner
                        Hi there
                        What value is to be gained from this trip? Is it just a waste of budget? What possible experience will the crew get, that they could not get in home waters? How does it affect the existing patrol/leave rosters for the stay-at-homes?
                        regards
                        GttC
                        Its all training - I assume a number of cadets / officers under training will be involved (as was the case with the Asia trip).

During the last major Browne celebrations (1950s/60s) the Argies offered to train a number of Irish cadets.

I also assume that like the Asia trip there will be a large number of people looking to go on this trip.

Comment

Goldie, how many naval officers/senior ncos carry scabbards when walking out? I must admit I have confused myself, because in the exact same spot i have seen the argie rugby team milling about.
                          Cannon to right of them,
                          Cannon to left of them,
                          Cannon in front of them
                          Volley'd and thunder'd;
                          Into the jaws of Death,
                          Into the mouth of Hell
                          Rode the six hundred.

Comment

Originally posted by eelmonster
                            Goldie, how many naval officers/senior ncos carry scabbards when walking out? I must admit I have confused myself, because in the exact same spot i have seen the argie rugby team milling about.
                            What makes you think they are argentinian? Many Navies visit irish ports regularly every year. They all have their own Uniform regulations and I am not an expert on any of them. Perhaps there was some sort of ceremony nearby that required them to wear swords(government buildings are not far from grafton St, could have been making their way back to the quays)?

I may be mistaken, but I understand a number of Irish cadets got the opportunity to take part in the Tall Ships race aboard an Argentinian Sail Training vessel a number of years ago(maybe last year).

Comment

What makes you think they are argentinian?
                              They were sallow-skinned and spoke Spanish ... could have been Spanish, or from any Spanish-speaking Latin American country. Perhaps I had already linked the Argentine sailing vessel to the lads with the daggers, but the connection has since been severed. They all looked like officer cadets.
                              Cannon to right of them,
                              Cannon to left of them,
                              Cannon in front of them
                              Volley'd and thunder'd;
                              Into the jaws of Death,
                              Into the mouth of Hell
                              Rode the six hundred.

Comment

Working...
                              X