Where after Chad?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by DeV View Post
    RGJ some of the reasons why formed units can't be generally deployed overseas have been outlined in this thread, I've outlined on at least 2 other threads some other reasons:

You are now dragging yet another thread off topic! The DF do (and have always done) excellent work overseas, despite being "ad-hoc" units. Just because the British Army does it a different way doesn't mean that it would work here. We work within the constraints and operate the missions assigned by Government, we may not like it but we get on with it and do a good job.
    drag this to a new thread then.

yes you do a great job but now you are telling me that you can't deploy dedicated units because of an IS threat that is NOT unique to you and is now very low key aswell as the fact that some barracks would be empty - so do what everyone else does - employ a 'Rear Party' to look after the home barracks when your 400 or so men are deployed.

Originally posted by Craghopper View Post
    I agree there Dev.. Any where we go we do a professional Job, regardless of how our Units are made up..so we must be doing something right.

you are doing lots right and you do do a great job because you are great individuals - but imagine how much better you would be if you weren't just great individuals - but great UNITS going out and coming back from these operations.

I've been on courses with guys I've served overseas with but haven't seen in ages and they could be based in Cork or Donegal. The course goes in much quicker because of this..We do it our way and regardless of what you think, our system works..We wouldn't have dozens of Officers from across Europe( UK included) coming into the UN School to learn about UN Operations..
    why would not seeing a guy in ages make a course go quicker? i don't see that as relevant or even a factor in this. i'd much rather be on a course with lads from my own battalion. yes your system works but it could work alot better sending formed units rather then sending out an ad-hoc battalion leaving gaps all over the place at home. and you are experienced in UN operations that's why you teach it. we don't go there because of how the Irish DF is structured - no Army comes away from there thinking "you know what? feck the battalions we already have - i'll just make one up for the job in hand" - this is something we all know is not good.

as APOD pointed out - when contracts change and you can do what most armies do and order soldiers to go overseas (as part of a designated unit) then things will no doubt sort themselves out but the other excuses of an exclusive IS threat and ATCP tasks like no other are feeble - we all have those threats and tasks.

anyhow - we already know the Irish DF will do a great job in the Lebanon later in the year.
    RGJ

...Once a Rifleman - Always a Rifleman... Celer et Audax

The Rifles

Comment

• Heard talk today of the West and DFTC heading out on the first trip, with the East heading out in the winter.

Hopefully it's true, sooner I go the better.

Comment

• The matrix is made out for the next four year. Based on the concept of bde going from a recruiting/training phase (reorg) moving to a readiness (standby) and then deployment every six months. From a training meeting I was at it will be west and then the south as of the start of Dec. Unless there has been some horse trading since then.

Comment

• that's good news holdfast and seems well planned.

it will be great to have some of you guys out there.
          RGJ

The Rifles

Comment

• Any ideas on whether this may affect the mission?

Lebanon's year-old unity government collapsed Wednesday after Hezbollah ministers and their allies resigned over tensions stemming from a U.N.-backed tribunal investigating the 2005 assassination of former Prime Minister Rafik Hariri.
            To close with and kill the enemy in all weather conditions, night and day and over any terrain

Comment

• Doubtful. The Hizb'allah government was not very effective anyway. Just more islamic than past ones.
              However the fact that those who step down want a new government to take power, rather than allowing a power vacuum to take hold, is quite positive, for the region.

WSJ are saying it is the worst political crisis in Lebanon since 2008.

The problem is the Tribunal is expecting to name names that Hizb'allah would prefer weren't named.
              Hizb'allah want the Saudi/Syrian backed solution to the crisis instead of the western one. No points for guessing who the saudi/syrian solution wouldn't be blaming for Hariri's death.

I look forward to hearing what Bob Fisk has to say about the situation.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

• Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. Margaret Mead

Comment

• I didn't realise Walid Jumblatt was still alive. (Or Wally Drumlad as he was sometimes called on RTE.)

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

• Originally posted by HavocIRL View Post
                    Any ideas on whether this may affect the mission?

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2011/01...-deal-lebanon/
                    i don't see how it would - you are going out there to do the same job regardless.

it will probably just lead to a more intense action packed tour for those deploying.

should make it a whole lot more interesting, and hopefully your lads will manage to stay safe.
                    RGJ

The Rifles

Comment

• Originally posted by holdfast View Post
                      The matrix is made out for the next four year. Based on the concept of bde going from a recruiting/training phase (reorg) moving to a readiness (standby) and then deployment every six months. From a training meeting I was at it will be west and then the south as of the start of Dec. Unless there has been some horse trading since then.
                      Athlone troops are to be among the first to return to Lebanon later this year when a battalion of 440 troops will be stationed in the Middle Eastern country.

Comment

• Bump!

So where after the Leb?

Comment

• We'll be like Goldilocks, waiting for something not too hot, not too cold.

Comment

Working...
                          X