Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pay & Overseas

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    You are right APOD I am not a serving soldier... Thank god, I enjoy a more relaxed command structure now,less bull . hurry up and wait, and dont miss the co inspections ...and i dont do a great job only a paid job, but i try to be on the good guys side most of the time, the thing in DRC is no one knows who are the good or bad guys..

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by Jungle View Post
      Now doing a cost-of-living comparison :
      Between Canada and Ireland

      And
      Between Canada and the UK
      Jesus Christ! great link Jungle - now i see why the Irish DF may get paid more sometimes but it means those at home in Ireland (which is almost all of them now) are blatantly far worse off than we are when we are based in the UK:

      www - Go Compare UK & Ireland

      but Canada Rocks - especially with the money you are on Jungle!
      Last edited by RoyalGreenJacket; 8 October 2010, 02:27.
      RGJ

      ...Once a Rifleman - Always a Rifleman... Celer et Audax

      The Rifles

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by RoyalGreenJacket View Post
        but Canada Rocks - especially with the money you are on Jungle!
        Dude, you will not hear me complain... but I'm the equivalent of an E-8, so very close to the top of the NCM pay scale.

        My son is a Pte though, and he is doing OK; earning much better money then when I was there !!!

        The CF have been working at becoming an "employer of choice" for some time, and they are getting there. Our conditions and terms of service are very good. I have 10 years left, and I have been offered a commission, so I will likely finish my time as a Captain. The plan is for me to get the commission at the end of the upcoming tour in Afg.
        "On the plains of hesitation, bleach the bones of countless millions, who on the very dawn of victory, laid down to rest, and in resting died.

        Never give up!!"

        Comment


        • #19
          It might seem sligtly off topic

          but it is to do with pay and overseas-

          Jungle a freind of mine ( not the usual bullshitters I hang out with) who works in a fairly high civil service position told me that at a briefing he was told that when Canadian troops transit through Ireland

          their conditions are much stricter than the Americans- by conditions I mean that if they hit shannon
          they cant do this cant do that etc etc-

          I didnt think there would be any difference in the cead mile failte offered to Americans or Canadians-

          whats your say on this Jungle- urban legend or is it true.

          if its true its a crock of shit
          Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
          Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
          The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
          The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
          The best lack all conviction, while the worst
          Are full of passionate intensity.

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by hedgehog View Post
            I didnt think there would be any difference in the cead mile failte offered to Americans or Canadians-

            whats your say on this Jungle- urban legend or is it true.

            if its true its a crock of shit
            I have never transited through Shannon, but the times I have transitted elsewhere we did not have special restrictions. Normally, if we are in location long enough, we are free to enjoy the local hospitality; but there could be some restrictions I don't know about in some locations.
            "On the plains of hesitation, bleach the bones of countless millions, who on the very dawn of victory, laid down to rest, and in resting died.

            Never give up!!"

            Comment


            • #21
              reminds me of my mate from 2PARA who was travelling back to London in the early 90's from R&R in the US who had to divert to Shannon due to a problem with the aircraft.

              that would have been fine when the pilot announced the diversion, however imagine my mates dismay as he was sat there in a maroon t-shirt with the Parachute Regiment logo on the front and 2PARA printed on the back!

              needless to say he had to turn his t-shirt inside out before they landed incase he wasn't offered the usual cead mile failte!!

              sorry for going off topic - your fault Hedgie!
              RGJ

              ...Once a Rifleman - Always a Rifleman... Celer et Audax

              The Rifles

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by BANDIT View Post
                You are right APOD I am not a serving soldier... Thank god, I enjoy a more relaxed command structure now,less bull . hurry up and wait, and dont miss the co inspections ...and i dont do a great job only a paid job, but i try to be on the good guys side most of the time, the thing in DRC is no one knows who are the good or bad guys..
                Jesus it must be a blue moon or something but i am inclined to agree with you again.Funny old world eh
                "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by RoyalGreenJacket View Post
                  !

                  needless to say he had to turn his t-shirt inside out before they landed incase he wasn't offered the usual cead mile failte!!

                  sorry for going off topic - your fault Hedgie!
                  He would have been as safe as anything as most of the muckahs down that way

                  cant read-

                  and stop blaming me for your misdeeds
                  Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
                  Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
                  The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
                  The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
                  The best lack all conviction, while the worst
                  Are full of passionate intensity.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    yeah fair one Hedgie, i suppose he was probably more likely to have been stabbed in a random assault.
                    RGJ

                    ...Once a Rifleman - Always a Rifleman... Celer et Audax

                    The Rifles

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by hedgehog View Post
                      He would have been as safe as anything as most of the muckahs down that way

                      cant read-

                      and stop blaming me for your misdeeds
                      I must be the exception to the rule as i could read this bolloxology.Cheeky git.


                      Originally posted by RoyalGreenJacket View Post
                      yeah fair one Hedgie, i suppose he was probably more likely to have been stabbed in a random assault.
                      Cheeky git x2.What part of the UK do you live in exactly???
                      "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by Jungle View Post
                        The OPS allowances, and our pay, are not taxable during a deployment to medium or high risk areas.

                        And
                        Between Canada and the UK
                        Jungle you gonna be anywhere near CFB Suffield this winter?

                        i've just been told i'm posted out there for 6 months!

                        might be able to meet you for a beer or a weekend in Calgary?!

                        i guess i'll be experiencing this difference in cost of living pretty soon!

                        so long as the beer is cheaper i'm a happy man!

                        Canada rocks, eh?
                        RGJ

                        ...Once a Rifleman - Always a Rifleman... Celer et Audax

                        The Rifles

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          He'll be elsewhere.
                          Don't take it personally


                          Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            6 months in Suffield ?!?!?!! You will need therapy by the time you're done !!

                            Seriously, I will be in Afg from early nov to an unknown date, likely in july now...
                            "On the plains of hesitation, bleach the bones of countless millions, who on the very dawn of victory, laid down to rest, and in resting died.

                            Never give up!!"

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by Jungle View Post
                              6 months in Suffield ?!?!?!! You will need therapy by the time you're done !!

                              Seriously, I will be in Afg from early nov to an unknown date, likely in july now...
                              aww for fecks sake Jungle - you'll go to any lengths to avoid buying me a pint!

                              i guess i'll have to go exploring the Strip Bars in Medicine Hat and lose a few Loonies and Toonies along the way all on my own now

                              i think i am on an extra £45 per day just for being there to make up for the difference in the cost of living - apparently?! lol
                              RGJ

                              ...Once a Rifleman - Always a Rifleman... Celer et Audax

                              The Rifles

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Originally posted by RoyalGreenJacket View Post
                                aww for fecks sake Jungle - you'll go to any lengths to avoid buying me a pint!

                                i guess i'll have to go exploring the Strip Bars in Medicine Hat and lose a few Loonies and Toonies along the way all on my own now

                                i think i am on an extra £45 per day just for being there to make up for the difference in the cost of living - apparently?! lol
                                Dude, I will happily buy you a pint or six when we meet !!

                                An extra £45 /day should be enough to finance your happy times at the strippers !!
                                "On the plains of hesitation, bleach the bones of countless millions, who on the very dawn of victory, laid down to rest, and in resting died.

                                Never give up!!"

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X