No announcement yet.

Irish going to Liberia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes Ihave heard of Balubas, so has the army and they've since learnt After Barret and Smallhorne at least) no tto send out isolated underarmed groups, when the Balubas attacked they found a section minus who'd left their Bren on the transport and wandered casually over to the roadblock.
    It's unlikely that vehicles will be going anywhere alone, never mind the fact that almost every vehicle being sent will carry at least a mag on a pintle, that the Irish soldier is a lot wiser about ambushes and that the standard weapon is a thirty round automatic.
    Bravo, you're talking about this as if it was something happening in Chatham street flats (it isn't fifteen year olds are still making do without firearms) this is a military operation.
    Unless you expect the DF to restrict itself to keeping the peace at tea parties there's always going to be people willing and eager to try and kill peacekeepers, the fact is that stoned teenagers are less capable of harming a ready unit than straight thinking adults, claiming that they'll be some super dangerous force when they have no means of support other than exercising violence over the people the UN force will be protecting is just a little bit alarmist.
    I hardly think the army is going into this thinking that a little hug and a talking to will neutralise the militias but the fact is the force being put in place will be more than able to surpress them.
    "It is a general popular error to imagine that loudest complainers for the public to be the most anxious for it's welfare" Edmund Burke

Comment

Is this going to be peace keeping or peace enforcing.....and what would the rules of engagement be? (or do the UN set them differently for the circumstances of each mission?)

Comment

I hope its mission by mission
        "It is a general popular error to imagine that loudest complainers for the public to be the most anxious for it's welfare" Edmund Burke

Comment

Barrett and Smallhorne were Leb victims not Congo victims. And my point with regard to 15 year olds with small arms was to indicate that it is a lot more dangerous than people think as you are dealing with unpredictable people.

Comment

Come-quickly - ever heard of punctuation?
            I don't believe in love - just friendship + sex

Comment

Earhart ever heard of daytime call charges.
              I never said that Barret and Smallhorne wer in teh congo and since I've discussed that case with you in person you should have known that I was not so ignorant.

Comment

That was just a lesson in effective communication, only the fact that I know you it does appear that you were confusing the Leb with the Congo.

Comment

did I hear a humour that a platoon of rangers are going out as well?
                  There is no problem that cannot be fixed with high explosive.

Comment

Yeah it was in the papers that 40 ARW personnel would accompany the Irish contingent in the initial "settling in" period.

Comment

Seem that the new peace force has begun to make itself known to the people there.BBC Link
                      Only the dead have seen the end of war - Plato

"Where there is no guidance the people fall, but in abundance of counselors there is victory" Proverbs 11-14
                      http://munsterfireandrescue.com

Comment

It's cool to see the rangers being deployed again. I suppose the situation in the north has freed them up more for overseas deployments. They are getting better PR too, was a time no-one had heard of them now their in the papers all the time. At least they're something in our military we can be proud of!

Comment

The Ranger Wing Platoon is being deployed in order to provide provide protection to the Engineer work party who will be travelling out shortly to set up the Irish Camp/Base.Upon completion of this task they will return to Ireland!
                          Live long and prosper!

Comment

Maybe its better off that the ARW doesnt get noticed. Look what the whole Bravo Two Zero episode did for the SAS
                            Religion is like a puddle thinking that the hole in the ground that it sits in is so perfect for it that some higher being must have created it

Comment

Different ball game entirely!!
                              Live long and prosper!

Comment

ns

a naval service ship is being deployed in support, for the arw to land in liberia. standby for more info

Comment

Working...
                                X