This is the sort of stuff I'm thinking about:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/1616598.stm
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/1619828.stm
    http://www.hrw.org/press/1999/dec/nig1222.htm
    http://lists.sn.apc.org/pipermail/po...ch/001930.html

Leave a comment:

• Goldie fish
    replied
    Was there not a Ghanain unit in UNIFIL? Is that West africa? By all accounts they were pretty professional.

Leave a comment:

• Bravo20
    replied
    Originally posted by yellowjacket
    One possible scenario to consider:

Many/some of the contingents of UN peacekeepers in UNMIL come from other African countries. Some the militaries in these countries are not famed for their discipline or training.

Could a major ****up by one of these contingents (eg a contentious killing or two) result in the locals turining against the UN in general? This would be totally out of the control of the Irish contingent.
    Quite possibly, I wasn't suggesting that the Irish contingent was involved or could even possibly control it. However isn't our role akin to a rapid reaction force to support other UN contingents who get into trouble, so if situations like this continue you could see Irish soldiers getting involved more.

Is it likely that this could happen in your view? Have Irish troops ever worked with West African contingents on any scale before?
    I don't think we have.

Leave a comment:

• yellowjacket
    replied
    One possible scenario to consider:

Many/some of the contingents of UN peacekeepers in UNMIL come from other African countries. Some of the militaries in these countries are not famed for their discipline or training.

Could a major ****up by one of these contingents (eg a contentious killing or two) result in the locals turning against the UN in general? This would be totally out of the control of the Irish contingent.

Is it likely that this could happen in your view? Have Irish troops ever worked with West African contingents on any scale before?

Leave a comment:

• Goldie fish
    replied
    I guess it will put the recent surge in new tactical training,and improved equipment to the test.
    I hope it wil also make those who control the purse strings realise that modern equipment is vital to carry out our duties,and I hope this is realised before there are further casualties.

Leave a comment:

• Bravo20
    replied
    Looks like a baptism of fire for our guys

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Nine killed in Liberia clashes

10/12/2003 - 12:44:50 PM

Examiner Breaking News

Nine killed in Liberia clashes

At least nine people died in violent clashes in Liberia’s capital Monrovia today and police and residents said all but one of the deaths came in fighting between UN troops and ex-militiamen.

UN military commanders said at least one UN peacekeeper was wounded, but neither civilian nor military UN officials would confirm that UN troops had fired back at any point.

Any such UN-Liberian battle would mark the first engagement by international forces, deployed since early August in the run-up to an August 18 peace deal between rebels and fighters loyal to warlord-president Charles Taylor.

The fighting comes amid three days of rampages by Taylor troops demanding immediate cash for giving up their guns under a four-day-old UN disarmament programme.

US, UN and Liberian leaders condemned the violence as gunfire continued today, demanding in repeated warnings on state radio and in statements that fighters lay down their arms.

At daylight, journalists saw eight bodies lying in the streets on the capital’s eastern side.

The bodies appeared to be those of government-allied militia fighters, dressed in civilian clothes.

Hundreds of Taylor’s forces surrounded the dead men, looking at them in disbelief.

Residents and police officials said militia fighters had challenged a 10 p.m. curfew imposed to try to stop the rampages.

A UN commander said one UN commander from the West African nation of Benin was shot in the leg when his men tried to arrest militia members at a checkpoint.

Extra UN forces were out on the streets Wednesday, and schools were closed.

Taylor, a Libyan-trained guerrilla fighter, launched Liberia into conflict in 1989. An estimated quarter-of-a-million Liberians died in the 14 years of bloodletting that followed, until Taylor fled into exile in Nigeria on August 11.

West African peace forces led the international deployment and the United Nations took charge of the peace force two months ago.

Leave a comment:

• FMJ
    replied
    Irish soldiers are flying out tonight-trouble in Monrovia

LINK-RTE

The first main group of Irish soldiers are flying out from Dublin tonight to join the EU mission in Liberia.

Meanwhile, for the first time in recent weeks there have been reports of a number of minor security incidents in and around the capital Monrovia.

They appear to have been sparked off over hitches in the mobilisation process of former rebels which started yesterday.

advertisement

advertisement
    Units of the Irish Ranger Wing will be among the first to be deployed at any trouble spots.[

Leave a comment:

• FMJ
    replied
    Liberian soldiers hand over guns

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/3298955.stm

Liberian soldiers hand over guns

Many of Liberia's soldiers are children
    Hundreds of soldiers handed in their weapons on Sunday at the official launch of a UN-sponsored disarmament programme in Liberia.

More than 1,000 soldiers of ousted President Charles Taylor laid down their weapons.

UN forces are expected to oversee the disarmament of around 40,000 troops, including child soldiers.

As part of the programme, the soldiers will be given $300, counselling and vocational training.

'Last chance'

The UN launched the nine-month disarmament scheme on 1 December, although Sunday's handover outside the capital Monrovia was the official launch.

Kalashnikovs, grenades and mortars were among the weapons handed in.

UN envoy Jacques Klein said: "This is Liberia's last chance. Liberia must put an end to war, or war will put an end to Liberia."

Some of the soldiers who handed in their weapons were children, including 13-year-old Richard Jack, once an "officer" with President Taylor's feared Anti-Terrorist Unit (ATU).

This is Liberia's last chance. Liberia must put an end to war, or war will put an end to Liberia

Jacques Klein, UN envoy

Holding an AK-47, he said: "I started fighting at the age of six. I decided to turn in my gun because I want to go back to school."

The disarmament deal was drawn up after President Taylor's departure into exile in August paved the way for a peace deal between government forces and the main rebel factions.

That followed a 14-year civil war which killed more than 200,000 Liberians.

Disarming and reintegrating the fighters into society is regarded as crucial to draw a line under the bloody conflict.

Rebel fighters are due to assemble in camps before the end of the year to hand in their weapons.

A total of 15,000 UN troops are expected to form a peacekeeping force in Liberia to monitor the disarmament, although there are only 4,500 in the country at the moment.

Leave a comment:

• Goldie fish
    replied
    http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0...942386,00.html

TAYOR ARREST NOTICE

Interpol has issued a notice for the arrest of wanted war criminal and former president of Liberia Charles Taylor.
    The international police organisation said the notice - which is not an arrest warrant but can be used by national police to make a provisional arrest - was issued at the request of the Special Court for Sierra Leone.

The former warlord is in exile in Nigeria.
    Taylor is long seen as the mastermind behind years of intertwined conflicts in west Africa.
    He was elected president in 1997 after launching a seven-year civil war in his homeland which killed 200,000 people.
    Taylor is accused of arming rebels during Sierra Leone's long civil war in return for diamonds.
    The rebels became notorious for hacking off civilians' limbs, mass rape and the recruitment of child soldiers.
    He was indicted on June 4 for war crimes in Sierra Leone by the UN-backed Special Court.
    As with all its "red notices", a photograph of Taylor appeared on Interpol's website, accompanied by the caption: Taylor, Charles Ghankay. Born on 28 January, 1948. Nationality Liberian. Age today: 55 years old

Leave a comment:

• Bailer
    replied
    I've seen a copy of the Mission book that all troops get going over there. It's Clear what their job as FMR is in Liberia.

Todays (Fri-5) Star also has a 2 page article about the mission.

Leave a comment:

• Thorpe
    replied
    For those that are interested here is the mandate for UNMIL
    UN.ORG

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Hi there, another swede here!!
    I think that there will be a terrific opportunity to learn from each other on this africa mission and I am looking forward to the day my CO finally gets the go ahead signal.

So I where just wondering, does anybody know where in Liberia the Irish battalion will operate from?

Leave a comment:

• FMJ
    replied
    Sweden mission contribution

I for one am delighted that Sweden will be joining the mission.

In general all UNMIL missions are to some degree successful in alleviating the misery of the civilian population put under their protection. However, few missions are completely successful in fully carrying out their mandate due to various reasons, be it lack of resources, political will etc.

Woking with a country such as Sweden gives me a quiet confidence that we have a solid chance of accomplishing a text book Peace Enforcement Mission. Its not just the firepower they will bring with them. Swedish soliders are very good at UN duties and have a similiar history of involment and accomplishment as Ireland. basically in our concept of operation we think along the same lines.

Lets hope the Liberian mission is something that will be studied as a success in military colleges in years to come.

Leave a comment:

• Come-quickly
    replied
    Welcome anti-tank btw
    Good to hear we wont be in this alone

Leave a comment:

Working...
X