Afghanistan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Afghanistan

When the Ranger Wing, [not the Irish Rangers, as labelled by the amateur television providers in Nuttley lane,] get to Kabul what will they be allowed actually do?
    Last edited by Turkey; 24 August 2021, 15:11.
    "We will hold out until our last bullet is spent. Could do with some whiskey"
    Radio transmission, siege of Jadotville DR Congo. September 1961.
    Illegitimi non carborundum

They have a very specific set of skills...
    Their former 2 i/c was on Morning ireland explaining where they will be used. Not unlike how they brought the Louth ISIS member home from Syria.
    For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

Unlikely to be outside the airport perimeter

Comment

Their role is like that of the rest of the SF units deployed. Provide CPT and a SASE for the DoFA pers to do their job

Comment

Originally posted by Fantasia View Post
          Their role is like that of the rest of the SF units deployed. Provide CPT and a SASE for the DoFA pers to do their job
          CP for UK foreign diplomats in high risk areas is done by RMP CP Teams or teams employed by the UK Foreign Office...armed civil servants.

US Diplomatic CP provision is similar.

We'll never know... but it would be interesting to understand what is going on around the country in SF terms.

Reports in UK media (albeit tabloids) that a load of ANA Commandos were lifted out of the desert in Kandahar Province with c20 SAS a few days ago.

The ANA SF were really really good operators.

Also reports that some of them have teamed up with the NA in Panjshir.
          'History is a vast early warning system'. Norman Cousins

Comment

I tend to agree with all the above, even the condescending one, but I do think it needs to be discussed.
            personally, I do believe they should have been deployed when this latest crisis first developed, but there was probably any amount of political considerations.
            "We will hold out until our last bullet is spent. Could do with some whiskey"
            Radio transmission, siege of Jadotville DR Congo. September 1961.
            Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Originally posted by Turkey View Post
              even the condescending one
              If that's aimed at me...I suspect it was...in no way was I trying to be condescending.

We're having an open discussion...I simply pointed out that the SF mission in that place at present is likely to be wider and deeper than we'll understand for now.

'History is a vast early warning system'. Norman Cousins

Comment

I read that Army were ready a week ago. but it took the arse scratchers that make up our DoD till now to .give the go ahead.

Comment

Originally posted by sofa View Post
                  I read that Army were ready a week ago. but it took the arse scratchers that make up our DoD till now to .give the go ahead.
                  DOD do not approve deployments. They are civil servants, employed to offer advice. The decision was a governmental one

Comment

Originally posted by Fantasia View Post

DOD do not approve deployments. They are civil servants, employed to offer advice. The decision was a governmental one
                    Who advise Government

Comment

Indo reporting Irish Forces set to withdraw from Kabul shortly.

Comment

https://www.independent.ie/world-new...-40789256.html

They've secured passage for some Irish citizens at least. The Dutch are leaving today and they've told their citizens to avoid the airport.

Edit: Russians on the way out too now
                        Last edited by Jaque'ammer; 26 August 2021, 11:28.

Comment

Poles also out.

Comment

US to focus on pulling their troops out in last 2 days

Belgian - last night
                            Dutch - today
                            France - tomorrow

Poland & Hungary - finished

I wonder is there a non-suicide bomber threat reason for telling people to move away from the airport?

Comment

Originally posted by DeV View Post
                              US to focus on pulling their troops out in last 2 days

Belgian - last night
                              Dutch - today
                              France - tomorrow

Poland & Hungary - finished

I wonder is there a non-suicide bomber threat reason for telling people to move away from the airport?
                              ISIS-K apparently. Taliban are too liberal for them. Already responsible for a massacre at a Maternity ward in Kabul last year.

Comment

Working...
                              X