No announcement yet.

Memories of the 70 Inf BN

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lets have some fun here. The following pics are of an incident (pratical joke) that happened in B.Coy 70 bn. About a month into the trip a notice appeared on the bullitin board,looking for volunteers to go to Beirut to help with the "Orange harvest". I S**t you not. So, as usual there were the few unsuspecting soldiers(Read idiot) who thought that sounded just the job for them. After much debate by the CO, they were all selected(big surprise there). They were told to be outside Coy HQ the following morning in their best Whites, with all kit for said trip. They were inspected, loaded onto transport, waved goodby to all their friends who had turned out to bid farewell, and merrily set off on their big adventure. Unfortunatly for them they only got as far as the next village down the road.
    At this point the driver and NCO in the vehicle informed them that they were in fact the biggest F*****G idiots in the whole of the Irish Army, because they were now going nowhere except back to camp, where all of the Coy would be waiting to greet them on return.
    Check out the following pics for a clearer view of this barbaric act af heartlessness.
    1. The inspection prior to depature.Do you think the one on the end suspects something?

2. In fairness, how stupid can you be.

3. Return of the "Orange pickers".

4. Did they get slagged. Twas only a rumour!

Next time we will talk about the parachute course. This one involves some chairs and a "bit" of jumping.
    Attached Files
    Press Corp-"Say General the Folks back home would sure like to know where you got that pearl handled revolver?
    Patton-" P-P- Pearl? ITS IVORY-only a cheap New Orleans Pimp would use a PEARL handled revolver

Comment

Well just have to say i only saw the virgin parade while when i was lucky in the canner car going to Al Ya Gloom.Was never one of the "lucky" few who got to spend some "quality" time in BnHQ!I heard a rumour of a concert or two there meself as well.Although up in Anto Coy there was tell of one!
      On the subject of windups,what about parachute courses over the golan heights or hang gliding over the same & the same individuals falling for both or fishing in the dead sea!
      Live long and prosper!

Comment

The Leb was hard but at least we could relax in the Tibnin Castle Disco or a spot of fishing under Tibnin Bridge
        Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
        Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
        The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
        The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
        The best lack all conviction, while the worst
        Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

why is the minesweeper wearin wellies?

Comment

he is probably from the western command

Comment

Originally posted by Smiler
              why is the minesweeper wearin wellies?
              You obviously have never had to walk that road!
              Press Corp-"Say General the Folks back home would sure like to know where you got that pearl handled revolver?
              Patton-" P-P- Pearl? ITS IVORY-only a cheap New Orleans Pimp would use a PEARL handled revolver

Comment

why is the minesweeper wearin wellies
                during the winter on the early trip most of the time we were in wellies as the rain was so constant and the conditions were so mucky

you youngsters dont know how lucky you are
                Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
                Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
                The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
                The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
                The best lack all conviction, while the worst
                Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

Originally posted by jpb
                  he is probably from the western command
                  i was thinkin it but didn't like to say it!....

Comment

herr flick, I was on that tour also, remember Dickie and 7th heaven from Clondalkin !!!!

Some pics:

1) 2) A mast job I worked on at a hill outside Sidon.
                    3) Anyone remember this lady from Haddatah
                    4) Lower section of the Chebaa walk
                    5) Upper section of the Chebaa walk
                    Attached Files
                    Laoch
                    $unit =~ s/11cis/62cis/gi
                    Last edited by Laoch; 10 October 2005, 09:32. Reason: Some Pics

Comment

Some more pics

1) Yes it is Dickie Rock and the band 7th Heaven in the Camp Shamrock cookhouse
                      2) A photo of position 6-20 from 1991
                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Laoch
                        herr flick, I was on that tour also, remember Dickie and 7th heaven from Clondalkin !!!!
                        Yes I remember dicky being there, thank the Lord almighty I dident get to see him. I also recognise one or two from thee "sheeba" walk. Would that be the bould "Sledger" in the photo, and s******* from limerick?

Comment

Yes thats Garda S******* alright :-)

Comment

Sledge had a little more hair then!

Comment

Thats some mullet.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Hiya

I was in Israel a couple of years ago with work (am now civilian) and was invited up to Netyanya by one of the guys I was working with. Who should I see outside the Scotsmans bar (I think that was the name?) only the aforementioned Denise, still plying her trade. As already mentioned, she did in fact look out for younger members of the Bn while they were on a 60 hour.

I was also fortunate (??) enough to spend a little time in 6-28A, while with C Coy, 65th Bn. As I'm from Cork, and the lads I was with were from finner, we needed some guys from the midlands to translate for us! Can anyone tell me if the platform for the huge binoculars was still there in 6-28A? We built it in 1989, and put a sort of "time capsule" into the cement...pics of everyone who was in the OP when we built it, unit flashed, etc etc

Comment

Working...
                                X