No announcement yet.

Potential Officer's Course

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Most of the course were Cpls and it was run by the 7bn.

Comment

Well then I must have met "your friend". As far as I remember there was only 2 Cpl's there as students.
      "I have never accepted what many people have kindly said, namely that I inspired the Nation. It was the nation and the race dwelling around the globe that had the lion heart. I had the luck to be called upon to give the roar"
      - Sir Winston Churchill, Speech Nov. 1954.

Comment

A person (including a reservist) who is in possession of a university degree or diploma or an equivalent qualification, or who possesses other special qualifications of military value, may, subject to the existence of a vacancy in Establishments for which his particular qualifications are appropriate, be nominated to be appointed to be an officer of the Reserve Defence Force ...

Comment

Originally posted by The Joker
          Who ran your course, it wasnt the BTC was it?
          The BTC are the PDF unit, the reserve element the BTC (d) were too busy training you...
          Over the centuries, mankind has tried many ways of combating the forces of evil...prayer, fasting, good works and so on. Up until Doom, no one seemed to have thought about the double-barrel shotgun. Eat leaden death, demon...

http://www.iamawesome.com/

Comment

So Terminator, how does your "friend" like it as an officer.

Comment

Interesting stuff :

I take it that's the same style of uniform that the normal Cadets wear.

. Reservists pass out from Sandhurst course
              08 August 2013
              The first Army Reserve Officer Cadets graduated this weekend from a new eight week commissioning course being piloted at the prestigious Royal Military Academy Sandhurst.
              One month on from the Reserves White Paper this pilot course demonstrates the new focus on growing the Army Reserve. These young Officers will be part of a new era for the TA as the new Army Reserve, with improved training, benefits and equipment, and the Officer Cadets cannot wait to get stuck into Army life.
              The pilot course requires the Officer Cadets to immerse themselves in Army life for eight weeks, learning all the basics of military skills and the art of leadership, from weapons handling and drill to command and tactics.

Selfless commitment
              The core values of the Army are instilled into Reserve Cadets at Sandhurst in the same manner as their Regular counterparts. The same standards of selfless commitment, respect for others, loyalty, integrity, discipline and courage are expected. The aim of the course is to enable recruits to fast-track their officer training which would usually be spread over the course of a year or more.
              Speaking at the passing out parade, the Chief of the General Staff, General Sir Peter Wall said: “Those who volunteer to serve as Reservists in the British Army are, in my opinion, unique. It is not only the level of commitment and dedication required, but also the willingness to deploy on operations that sets them apart.
              “These are exacting but also exciting times that will see some of the biggest changes to the Regular Army and the Reserves for many years.”
              One of the Officer Cadets graduating on Saturday was Second Lieutenant Matthew Osment (26), who is an auditor with PriceWaterhouseCoopers, and he was full of praise for his employer and the TA: “It is a big commitment for my employer to let me have eight weeks off to take part in this new commissioning course, but the leadership skills I have learnt at Sandhurst have given me confidence and assurance I can take back into my day job.
              "I have learnt how to manage and lead teams effectively under pressure and these are key skills for me to progress in the Army Reserve, which can only benefit my civilian career.
              “I have always wanted to be an Officer in the Army Reserves. It has been tough but really enjoyable and the other Officer Cadets on the course will be friends for life.”
              Second Lieutenant Osment is commissioning into the Royal Signals and will soon be leading soldiers to set up and manage communications systems on training and on operations.
              The course is part of the new package on offer to Reserves. In future Reserves will be better paid -including contributions to a military pension - better trained and better equipped, as they play a greater part in the Army’s role to secure the nation in an uncertain world.
              Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
              Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
              The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
              The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
              The best lack all conviction, while the worst
              Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

Sorry- purloined from - http://www.army.mod.uk/news/25668.aspx

Comment

I'd question the wisdom of that single FTT module, many of those will not have any previous TA experience.

They have not experienced what it is like to have to complete training on training nights and weekends and now will be expected to organise it for others without being able to relate to the problems their sub-ordinates problems.

Comment

Not having experience in something doesn't automatically mean you wouldn't relate to it, I am sure the training covers it- we have lads who never seen the Golans but pretty soon they will be patrolling them, I have never stepped on a rake causing it to hit my balls but I can relate to it and I therefore am cautious of rakes.

Comment

Originally posted by DeV View Post
                      I'd question the wisdom of that single FTT module, many of those will not have any previous TA experience.
                      Some may substitute "experience" with "corruption". The TA is only really coming online as a viable Reserve component of the BA in the last decade. They're having to weed out their tea drinkers as we are (albeit with more success through operational necessity).

Comment

Originally posted by SwiftandSure View Post
                        Some may substitute "experience" with "corruption". The TA is only really coming online as a viable Reserve component of the BA in the last decade. They're having to weed out their tea drinkers as we are (albeit with more success through operational necessity).
                        Difference is the BA uses its reserve and looks after them (well compared to the DF)!

Comment

Originally posted by hedgehog View Post
                          Interesting stuff :

I take it that's the same style of uniform that the normal Cadets wear.
                          It is the same as the regular sandhurst uniform. The TA have been taking in officers directly for years now - this is just a new training programme.

Comment

8 week course...I take it this covers in one block what it would have taken a TA Officer Cadet a couple of years to achieve previously.

An interesting comparison (I think anyway) is that regular Professionally Qualified Officers (Doctors, Dentists, Padres) only do a 10 week course.

My Nephew did something similar the year before last as a TA recruit...did the whole training package as one block in Ballykinlar...5 weeks.

The other route was to spread his training out over a year or so of weekends / drill nights...followed by a two week course in England.

He was off on his summer holidays from school so suited him...
                            'History is a vast early warning system'. Norman Cousins

Comment

Working...
                            X