Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My Fitness Logs.

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by na grohmiti View Post
    I'm also lucky to live a short hop from a nearby amenity walk, options are a loop of 2k, 3K or 5k. With 3 dogs to exercise, none of whom will travel together, we have the routes well marked by now.
    Problem I have in the current shutdown is my runners are toast, and feet are starting to suffer. (my spare pair are in the office under my desk) I can't do online purchase of trainers. I have to try before I buy.
    Hopfully shoe shops will reopen soon.
    Could you get the exact same ones online?

    Comment


    • Nope.
      For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

      Comment


      • Before the lockdown, I used to run into and out work (about 22km a day). Since the lockdown, I've been working from home and I've become lazy - only doing a 12km run in the morning (Mon-Fri).

        During the day, every time I go for tea, I put on the kettle - then do 10 hammer head pull ups, 20 squats, 80 pushups, 40 situps. By then the kettle has boiled, I make my cup of tea and then do a final 10 hammer head pull ups and 20 pushups.

        The problem is that I go for tea at 8, 10, 12, 2, and 4. The easiest solution is to drink less tea

        Comment


        • In January I was the heaviest I’ve ever been 90 kg (now 83.9kg).

          in fairness have been doing fairly well on half marathon training programme (involving 20-50 km a week of generally slow running).

          but game changer was minimum carbs, I’ve have porridge for breakfast but very little carbs apart from that. I’ve a very sweet tooth so still indulgently ate sweets, chocolate etc.

          massive improvements in weight quickly, more energy, found the cravings manageable

          ITs
          push ups - grade 4 (not my strong point)
          sit ups - grade 1
          run - grade 4 (disappointed in that but on the track with the corners)
          part 3 - grade 3

          Comment


          • Originally posted by DeV View Post
            In January I was the heaviest I’ve ever been 90 kg (now 83.9kg).

            in fairness have been doing fairly well on half marathon training programme (involving 20-50 km a week of generally slow running).

            but game changer was minimum carbs, I’ve have porridge for breakfast but very little carbs apart from that. I’ve a very sweet tooth so still indulgently ate sweets, chocolate etc.

            massive improvements in weight quickly, more energy, found the cravings manageable

            ITs
            push ups - grade 4 (not my strong point)
            sit ups - grade 1
            run - grade 4 (disappointed in that but on the track with the corners)
            part 3 - grade 3
            Well done Dev, lock-down has been difficult for everyone. I went from occasionally using the stairs in the 5 storey office & walking most lunchtimes to spending the last 18 months going no further daily than from bed to kitchen to home office, in a house with ony 4 steps, 2 at front door and 2 at back back door.
            Having a large garden mean's the pups don't need the walk they used to before we moved, as they are generally chasing each other around and hunting rodents all day.
            But we persevere. I plan to walk the 5k as part of the An Cosantoir virtual event. Have managed (with dog) 3km in 45 mins. Would be hoping to complete my 5k (without dog) somewhere under 50 mins if possible. 10 years ago i did the 8k walk in Baldonnel in about 1 hr 40 mins. Problem then was I had been used to 6 k regularly, and once I passed 6 k my legs just seized up, having become accustomed to no greater distance. The last 2 Km were a pure nightmare, and the drive home to cork after did no favours either.

            Best advice I got was never skip breakfast. Last job saw many very early starts, no breakfast, then going for the petrol station breakfast in the late morning. Dietitian advised to eat as soon as possible after you wake. Ideally a banana, it will put most cravings to rest. Otherwise, your body has not been refuelled, usually since early evening the previous day, primal instincts tell it "NEED FOOD!". Early breakfast keeps primal man at bay. Ignore primal man and by late morning primal man is screaming at brain "WE MAY STARVE! FEED ME NOW BECAUSE I COULD DIE!" So we fill up on whatever passes our eye then. We become like the dog gulping down all the food in his bowl because he fears he may never eat again.

            Processed Sugar became my enemy 2 years ago, so savoury snacks have become the norm since. Swings & roundabouts.
            For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by na grohmiti View Post

              Well done Dev, lock-down has been difficult for everyone. I went from occasionally using the stairs in the 5 storey office & walking most lunchtimes to spending the last 18 months going no further daily than from bed to kitchen to home office, in a house with ony 4 steps, 2 at front door and 2 at back back door.
              Having a large garden mean's the pups don't need the walk they used to before we moved, as they are generally chasing each other around and hunting rodents all day.
              But we persevere. I plan to walk the 5k as part of the An Cosantoir virtual event. Have managed (with dog) 3km in 45 mins. Would be hoping to complete my 5k (without dog) somewhere under 50 mins if possible. 10 years ago i did the 8k walk in Baldonnel in about 1 hr 40 mins. Problem then was I had been used to 6 k regularly, and once I passed 6 k my legs just seized up, having become accustomed to no greater distance. The last 2 Km were a pure nightmare, and the drive home to cork after did no favours either.

              Best advice I got was never skip breakfast. Last job saw many very early starts, no breakfast, then going for the petrol station breakfast in the late morning. Dietitian advised to eat as soon as possible after you wake. Ideally a banana, it will put most cravings to rest. Otherwise, your body has not been refuelled, usually since early evening the previous day, primal instincts tell it "NEED FOOD!". Early breakfast keeps primal man at bay. Ignore primal man and by late morning primal man is screaming at brain "WE MAY STARVE! FEED ME NOW BECAUSE I COULD DIE!" So we fill up on whatever passes our eye then. We become like the dog gulping down all the food in his bowl because he fears he may never eat again.

              Processed Sugar became my enemy 2 years ago, so savoury snacks have become the norm since. Swings & roundabouts.
              Cheers

              be somewhere else if Dev hasn’t had breakfast!

              Any exercise time is never wasted

              Comment


              • Thats interesting ref. breakfast...I'm the opposite I've binned it as I've gotten into the old intermittent fasting...16/8 routine.

                So I only eat in an 8hr window between 1200hrs and 2000hrs.

                The very rough science being that the body goes into a fasting state after 12hrs without food...and uses fat reserves for fuel.

                First week I did it I had an SCR first thing in the morning...dry retched after the 2km best effort run... but apart from that I do PT on an empty stomach every morning with no problems.

                I use MyFitnesspal to track what I eat and my exercise (PT in the morning / walk for about an hour in the evening) and most days have about a 1000 calorie deficit.

                That said I drink a bottle of wine and a couple of beers at least one night over the weekend.

                I've lost 6kgs in 6 weeks aiming to lose another 6kgs before Christmas.

                I struggle to keep weight off...have done since my early 30s...but this seems to work and will hopefully be something else to stop me yo-yoing weight wise.
                'History is a vast early warning system'. Norman Cousins

                Comment


                • My finess: Im 56 and was 16 st, 10 last year and began using a local gym and did three months straight, three sessions a week of an hour each, to get fit(ter) as I found that I was puffing a bit in work. I had cut out breakfast cereals and did some serious thinking about keto, to the point where I even made keto bread, cut out margarine and cereals, white bread and a few other things. I had previously done the Ring of Kerry cycle in -19 and -20 and was well shagged out after the second one. I needed to reset my fitness. I also started the couch to 5 k last October, but linked up with two running neighbours, who are seriously experienced runners and chucked the Cto5 routine and just went for it, doing 5 kms locally. My very first run achievd 4.3 km without falling dead!
                  The result is that I'm a stone lighter and routinely do 6 or 7 or 8 km, two or three times a week and am aiming at a 10 km locally in September. I haven't run 10 km since the An Cosantoir 10 km when I was 21! Now, I'm not helping myself because I still eat chocolate and still drink pints at the weekend but I am now at the stage where a random 6 km run is easy, not daunting and I like it very much! I hated exercise as a young lad (being shit at sports) and usually scraped through DF fitness tests. So, if I can do it, anyone can and it's highly recommended for the mental and physical satisfaction it gives.

                  Comment


                  • Well done

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by GoneToTheCanner View Post
                      My finess: Im 56 and was 16 st, 10 last year and began using a local gym and did three months straight, three sessions a week of an hour each, to get fit(ter) as I found that I was puffing a bit in work. I had cut out breakfast cereals and did some serious thinking about keto, to the point where I even made keto bread, cut out margarine and cereals, white bread and a few other things. I had previously done the Ring of Kerry cycle in -19 and -20 and was well shagged out after the second one. I needed to reset my fitness. I also started the couch to 5 k last October, but linked up with two running neighbours, who are seriously experienced runners and chucked the Cto5 routine and just went for it, doing 5 kms locally. My very first run achievd 4.3 km without falling dead!
                      The result is that I'm a stone lighter and routinely do 6 or 7 or 8 km, two or three times a week and am aiming at a 10 km locally in September. I haven't run 10 km since the An Cosantoir 10 km when I was 21! Now, I'm not helping myself because I still eat chocolate and still drink pints at the weekend but I am now at the stage where a random 6 km run is easy, not daunting and I like it very much! I hated exercise as a young lad (being shit at sports) and usually scraped through DF fitness tests. So, if I can do it, anyone can and it's highly recommended for the mental and physical satisfaction it gives.
                      I'm a big fan of 80/20 running, which is a book worth buying. It's all about doing most of your miles at a very easy pace. You'll find the speed comes by itself once you build up the volume

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Jaque'ammer View Post

                        I'm a big fan of 80/20 running, which is a book worth buying. It's all about doing most of your miles at a very easy pace. You'll find the speed comes by itself once you build up the volume
                        That's very interesting. I had a quick read and it's definitely worth a closer look. thanks!

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X