No announcement yet.

My Fitness Logs.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone on here have any tips for completing Part 3 of the DF fitness test? I'm NSR so there isn't a huge amount of experience of completing it in my unit as most of our courses only require Parts 1 and 2.

My general fitness for Part 2 is a grade 3 and I require a grade 3 on the part 3 when I do it.

I'm told that walking for 1 min and then jogging for the same length of time (repeat) is the best way of getting a passing time. I'm worried I'll just end up crawling while jogging and walking at an overall slower pace if I try that.

Time required for a Grade 3 at my age is 1 hour 27 min.
    Last edited by Auldsod; 22 December 2022, 22:01.

Comment

• Originally posted by Auldsod View Post
      Anyone on here have any tips for completing Part 3 of the DF fitness test? I'm NSR so there isn't a huge amount of experience of completing it in my unit as most of our courses only require Parts 1 and 2.

My general fitness for Part 2 is a grade 3 and I require a grade 3 on the part 3 when I do it.

I'm told that walking for 1 min and then jogging for the same length of time (repeat) is the best way of getting a passing time. I'm worried I'll just end up crawling while jogging and walking at an overall slower pace if I try that.

Scout pacing like you suggest is the way unless you can run the lot. Play around with the run / walk intervals on the day. 87mins is a very long time and you should well be able to beat that. I have scout paced in and finished in well under an hour but that was run the first 2km and the last 2km and run 900m / walk 100m for the remaining 6km. I generally find that 2mins on 1min off is about the right pace for a comfortable 70mins without effort. If you are a grade 3 in Part 2 then 75mins should be well achievable without further training.

A GPS watch is good for giving you your splits which will let you know if you need to kick it up a gear or slow down.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fantasia View Post

Scout pacing like you suggest is the way unless you can run the lot. Play around with the run / walk intervals on the day. 87mins is a very long time and you should well be able to beat that. I have scout paced in and finished in well under an hour but that was run the first 2km and the last 2km and run 900m / walk 100m for the remaining 6km. I generally find that 2mins on 1min off is about the right pace for a comfortable 70mins without effort. If you are a grade 3 in Part 2 then 75mins should be well achievable without further training.

A GPS watch is good for giving you your splits which will let you know if you need to kick it up a gear or slow down.
        Thanks a million. I'll give the scouting pacing a go. I've just walked the 10km route at a fast pace so as to see where my baseline is initially and I'll definitely need to add some running.

I did note that grade 4 is definitely achievable without running. It gets very generous with regards time after grade 3.

Comment

Thanks a million. I'll give the scouting pacing a go. I've just walked the 10km route at a fast pace so as to see where my baseline is initially and I'll definitely need to add some running.

I did note that grade 4 is definitely achievable without running. It gets very generous with regards time after grade 3.
          I feel like, in your position, some basic practise will take you a long way. Build your way up with the weights and distance.

Would always recommend strength training on top as well. Marching under load is much easier with a bit of muscle mass.

Have a read of this: https://www.otpbooks.com/mike-prevos...ning-programs/

Comment

• The weight distribution (for me is also important). I like to put most of the weight (physical weights (wrapped up)) in the utility and ammo pouches of the vest.

Then same at bottom of daysack.

also I wear the lightest boots I have when doing so.

Comment

Anyone on here have any tips for completing Part 3 of the DF fitness test? I'm NSR so there isn't a huge amount of experience of completing it in my unit as most of our courses only require Parts 1 and 2.

Bear in mind that if you get 1 hr 26 mins 55 secs your grade 2 and your right to aim for the 1 hr 27 mins, but you have up to 1 hr 44 mins (if your struggling). That is all assuming I have the most up to date figures.

To get 1 hr 27 mins you need a 8.7 mins per km pace (and to maintain it). Bear in mind the locations can be hilly and as far as I know it has to be cross country (is at least in my location but no navigation required).

I have a GPS watch that will give me my pace that I keep an eye on. As Fantasia says it’s a good investment.

I also listen to music to take my mind off it

Comment

• Completed and passed. Thanks for all the advice. I required a grade 3 so I aimed for a grade 2 so as to make sure I wouldn't miss the cut. Surprised myself with a grade 1 (by just 30 seconds).

The GPS watch and monitoring my pace and timings was key. I also burst myself for the last 2km or so which is something I wouldn't have done when practicing. Feeling it the last few days!

Comment

Completed and passed. Thanks for all the advice. I required a grade 3 so I aimed for a grade 2 so as to make sure I wouldn't miss the cut. Surprised myself with a grade 1 (by just 30 seconds).

The GPS watch and monitoring my pace and timings was key. I also burst myself for the last 2km or so which is something I wouldn't have done when practicing. Feeling it the last few days!
                  Well done!

Comment

• So Dev got a place in the Dublin City Marathon this morning, having missed out in the lottery.

I’m already, 10 weeks into this 22 week (advanced)training programme:

There’s a good bit of run walk run but I’ll get there

I’m doing the plan over 29 weeks, I’ll have 7 weeks of doing my own thing as I started early.
                    might be a couple of weeks where I need to stretch it out due to other commitments etc

I'm also doing the 10 mile and half marathon

aiming for 4 hours (plan a)

Comment

• Originally posted by DeV View Post
                      So Dev got a place in the Dublin City Marathon this morning, having missed out in the lottery.

I’m already, 10 weeks into this 22 week (advanced)training programme:

There’s a good bit of run walk run but I’ll get there

I’m doing the plan over 29 weeks, I’ll have 7 weeks of doing my own thing as I started early.
                      might be a couple of weeks where I need to stretch it out due to other commitments etc

I'm also doing the 10 mile and half marathon

aiming for 4 hours (plan a)
                      Best of luck. Have you run one before?

Comment

Best of luck. Have you run one before?
                        cheers

Yeah 2011

Everything was going amazing until around 5 miles… 1 sip of an Spar own brand isotonic drink (they were being given out) and wanted to get sick with every step the rest of the way

we won’t talk about the time but I completed it

nothing new on race day

Comment

• I've been back getting some KM's in running, finding it hard to cut the time down though. My last 5KM was in 30:36, so about 6min a km pace. Aiming to get three runs in a week, and 3 sessions on an Assault Bike (because I really hate myself :D), and some strength sessions too. Found Garmin Connect and Strava have been great tools to track everything though. Good luck with the training DeV
                          What are you cackling at, fatty? Too much pie, that's your problem.

Comment

• So Dev’s 7 week marathon training break (doing my own think) lasted about 4-5 weeks with not being able to do a lot.

weeks 6 & 7 of the break I’m repeating the weeks 9 & 10 of the plan

so 10 miles today (still having to stop and walk every now and then), not a nice day in my neck of the woods

And I believe what is a PB (not sure how but I’ll take it)

Comment

• Thats fantastic Dev.
                              For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

• Frank Duffy 10 mile race in Phoenix Park today - 104.10 mins

time from 2011 was 96.43 mins

Comment

Working...
                                X