My Fitness Logs.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Steyr Fan View Post
    There is a great circuits session 3 evenings a week in the Gym in the Curragh. Its free, fun, and full of lots of the things you cannot do on your own. I go at least once aweek. I would regard my self as fairly fit (for an auld fella) but I have to rethink that assessment after yesterday.

Anyway, jog on.........
    Good to hear that its available. Nothing like a put down by your own body to make you get up and beast it back.

Keep up the effort!
    "The Question is not: how far you will take this? The Question is do you possess the constitution to go as far as is needed?"

Comment

• Went for a weighted run today, decided to wear the Garmin 401 that Mrs S&S got me for Xmas, which is handy as it's good for seeing where I need to improve on the run.

I ran 5.86Km in 33:02 with a daysack. Not a great time, but I'm just trying to get back in the swing of things.

Comment

• Originally posted by SwiftandSure View Post
        Went for a weighted run today, decided to wear the Garmin 401 that Mrs S&S got me for Xmas, which is handy as it's good for seeing where I need to improve on the run.

I ran 5.86Km in 33:02 with a daysack. Not a great time, but I'm just trying to get back in the swing of things...
        Fair balls bud...
        "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

• Originally posted by SwiftandSure View Post
          Went for a weighted run today, decided to wear the Garmin 401 that Mrs S&S got me for Xmas, which is handy as it's good for seeing where I need to improve on the run.

I ran 5.86Km in 33:02 with a daysack. Not a great time, but I'm just trying to get back in the swing of things.

That sounds like a very useful device...
          "Gentlemen, you can’t fight in here...this is the War Room!"

Comment

• It certainly is Steamy Window

This is the output of today's run. managed to keep a reasonable pace throughout, and again I was running with a daysack. 4.69Km in 23.19mins. Happy enough with that!

Comment

• nike+ is a bit easier, that's what I use.

Run 2 Miles Sat, Run 2 Miles Sun, Circuits in UCD last night, may go for a gallop round CBB tonight.
              "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

• Don't have a iPod (have an mp3 player already) and the Garmin appears to cost megabucks, any cheaper alternative out there?
                "Gentlemen, you can’t fight in here...this is the War Room!"

Comment

• nike+ wristband and sensor.
                  "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

• I have Nike+ in a pair of very comfortable cross-country runners I got in the New Years sales for €60, no idea how it works though.

Comment

• Originally posted by holdfast View Post
                      I do believe that there is too much running as the form of fitness in the DF. I try to mix my training up with crossfit type training and some endurance stuff.
                      I'd very much agree. There's lads who can run 5 minute miles and that's great and all but start throwing kit onto them and see what happens.

It's very important to find the balance, a mix between endurance and strength and conditioning.

Originally posted by Steyr Fan View Post

You're right - regular fitness is not enough. But running, push & sit ups is where to start. Build a base fitness level, and work up from that. There is a great circuits session 3 evenings a week in the Gym in the Curragh. Its free, fun, and full of lots of the things you cannot do on your own. I go at least once aweek. I would regard my self as fairly fit (for an auld fella) but I have to rethink that assessment after yesterday.

Anyway, jog on.........
                      I'd very much disagree with the part in bold.

The DF has this odd fixation with thinking a 2 mile run, push ups and sit ups is a significant indication of someone's ability to do the job. Although that leads into another discussion about putting together new IT's etc.

People starting out should focus on running obviously, along with a proper strength and conditioning routine.
                      Last edited by Hello Alaska; 18 January 2011, 20:53.

Comment

• Slow inroads into reducing the amount of running in PT gear and replacing with Combat PT focused exercise
                        "The Question is not: how far you will take this? The Question is do you possess the constitution to go as far as is needed?"

Comment

• Originally posted by ZULU View Post
                          Slow inroads into reducing the amount of running in PT gear and replacing with Combat PT focused exercise
                          Ah just jump in at the deep end... What's the worst that could happen?

Comment

• The Russian Military are said to use a Kettlebell Snatch test with a single 24 Kg Kettlebell as part of their fitness test. Tests both cardio endurance and muscular strength.

Originally posted by William Wong, ND, Ph.D., [url
                            http://www.mikemahler.com/articles/wong10.html[/url]]
                            "In the 1970’s or 80’s the Soviet Army did a study where they trained 3 groups of Spetsnaz (Soviet Special Forces) troopers. One group was trained using conventional army physical training consisting of running and calisthenics. Another group added barbell weight lifting to their PT. Group 3 did kettlebell training with no running, no calisthenics and no barbell lifting. After some months on these training routines the researchers did two things: First they administered the standard Soviet Army physical fitness test to all 3 groups. In these tests the kettlebell group did best even though they had not done any of the standard calisthenics or running involved in the test for months. Afterward the researchers sent the troops out for field exercises for months to simulate combat conditions and the effects of same on the fitness levels of the troops. After some months of this simulated war training they were brought back and retested. The calisthenics only group suffered the highest drop in fitness and strength levels, the barbell strength and army PT group was right behind the calisthenics group in their loses. In sharp contrast the kettlebell group had only slight losses in fitness and strength after 3 months away from exercise! They were almost as strong and able after not working out for that time as they had been when first tested!"
                            I have to say, it would be interesting to see the DF introduce a Crossfit or Kettlebell approach to fitness training and testing.
                            Last edited by ODIN; 19 January 2011, 09:57.
                            What are you cackling at, fatty? Too much pie, that's your problem.

Comment

• I'm not convinced that group 3 abstained from running for months. I can't imagine such a dedicated (and more than likely, highly competitive) group of individuals would risk losing out to their comarades in groups 1 and 2. However I couldn't disagree with the fact that KB work or barbell lifting tied in with running and calisthenics would lead to a better rounded athelete than those in group 1.

And you're joking around about Crossfit, right? Why would anyone want anything to do with that dickhead Glassman is beyond me. Incorporate similar conditioning blocks, yes. Start doing utterly random shit, chest shaving, boardshort wearing and fake pull ups - NO!
                              Last edited by gibedepusib0ss; 19 January 2011, 10:42.

Comment

• Originally posted by Napp View Post
                                I'm not convinced that group 3 abstained from running for months. I can't imagine such a dedicated (and more than likely, highly competitive) group of individuals would risk losing out to their comarades in groups 1 and 2. However I couldn't disagree with the fact that KB work or barbell lifting tied in with running and calisthenics would lead to a better rounded athelete than those in group 1.

And you're joking around about Crossfit, right? Why would anyone want anything to do with that dickhead Glassman is beyond me. Incorporate similar conditioning blocks, yes. Start doing utterly random shit, chest shaving, boardshort wearing and fake pull ups - NO!
                                Napp, Re the Kettlebell Study, I honestly don't know if they did or did not run during the study. One would be lead to believe that they did not, however, as you stated, the test group were the best of the best and may well have ran. The fact remains, even assuming that they all ran at some point, that the Kettlebell group won out in the end.

Re Crossfit, I have done one Crossfit session in the US. My opinion, it is an amalgamation of different fitness concepts, from very technical Olympic weights, TRX, Running, calisthenics etc. But at the end of the day it is just a High Intensity Circuit Training session that uses high reps. The people I saw doing in the US were in great shape, but you do not have to subscribe to the Crossfit mentality to get those results. What I dislike about Crossfit is that it is grossly over priced, but it is marketed extremely well.

Not sure about the chest shaving element of Crossfit. But your right about the fake pull ups, kipping does not count as a pull up, but it goes back to their mentality of high reps
                                What are you cackling at, fatty? Too much pie, that's your problem.

Comment

Working...
                                X