• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ibood have the garmin forerunner 405 with heart rate monitor for E150 today

http://www.ibood.com/ie/en/product_s...ly_overhauled/
    Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Comment

• Northwest 10k done at the weekend, 48.30 happy enough with a sub 50. Bandon 10k this weekend if anyone fancies a wee run out?

Comment

• That's a decent time for anyone who's only really starting to run properly recently. You'll be able to cut that no problem, especially if you keep going the way you're going.

For anyone interested, I picked up Military Athlete's Hypertrophy Program today. It's a pretty good program for anyone looking to gain some muscle mass along with strength, while still carrying out training applicable to the job. Also has some great mobility work in it. If anyone is interested, gimme a shout and I'll e-mail it to them.

Comment

• As an aside, do many of you lads do much strength & conditioning training?

From my own experiences within the DF, it's something that really is neglected when it comes to PT, especially strength training. PT in the DF for the most part seems to be nothing more than a rather large running club.

S&C training is something that's being picked up on in a major way by other forces, I wonder when, or if, the DF will follow suit.

Comment

• Starting my summer training gradually. Not going too mad just yet as I have to get exams out of the way first. Have myself signed up for some adventure races at the end of the summer to act as a end goal for training. The start is tough, but gradually I can feel myself get less and less unfit.

Have you any tips for training to run a 10k Infy?

I'd appreciate if you could fire me a copy of that HA.
            Aut viam inveniam aut faciam.

Comment

• @HA, not really, my fitness regime revolves around running and squash. I was comfortably running 10km around the 55min mark with a light pack 3 months ago, but family commitments and twisting my back last month have left me grounded. After a bad twist left me looking buckled for a few days I think I need to introduce some S&C into my life, particularly to build on my core.
              Hopefully I'll be back playing squash again tomorrow, so if I don't feel too bad after that I'll look into a few simple static exercises to do at home with the dumbbells. I might even use the overtly camp pink gym ball that we have in the house from when the wife was pregnant.

Comment

• Originally posted by Captain Edmund Blackadder View Post
                Starting my summer training gradually. Not going too mad just yet as I have to get exams out of the way first. Have myself signed up for some adventure races at the end of the summer to act as a end goal for training. The start is tough, but gradually I can feel myself get less and less unfit.

Have you any tips for training to run a 10k Infy?

I'd appreciate if you could fire me a copy of that HA.
                Build it up slowly, most of my long runs are around the 4 mile mark at the minute, sometimes I do 8. Tempo and sprint training help out as well. I think most of it is mental though, theres days I just can't be arsed doing anything but if you push past that and throw the gear on it gets easier. I'm currently training 3 nights a week with a club, 4/8 miles on a monday, track work on a wed and tempo on a friday.

If you are going for a 10k don't take off like a mad man like I did on sunday, did my first mile in 6.40 then dropped down to an average of 7.40ish.

Even if you can't do the 4 miles without stopping don't worry run 2 mins walk a min and build it up from there. Running with a group will bring you on no end, my last 10k time was 1hr 2 mins, so with a little training I have shaved 14 mins off that time.

Good trainers are hard to beat, get your gait done. Got mine done in mahers and found I was wearing the wrong type of runner and got sore knees from over pronating before. no problems at all now. Stick at it and you will get there,

remember no matter how slow you are running you are still faster than those who are sitting on their arse on the couch!

Comment

• did the samsung nite run sunday nite april 29 in 44 mins 36 seconds! personal best time and first ever real race too. Even managed a sprint finish against another bloke from my unit down westmoreland street. going to kick into the gym and running big time now and with at least half a stone to shave off in fat i should get a couple more mins off my time. looking to the fingal ten k race in swords later this summer as my next run i think.
                  "He is an enemy officer taken in battle and entitled to fair treatment."
                  "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

Comment

• Good man Morph, cracking time!

Comment

• To the lads who PM'd me, I've sent the program your way. For any of the exercises in the program that you're unfamiliar with, just go to www.militaryathlete.com and click on the Exercises section, it'll give you the full list with demonstrations etc.

Military Athlete in general has turned into a cracking training asset for me. The site has programs for pretty much everything from work capacity, various selection based programs to dealing with lower back issues etc., when you become a member you gain access to the Operator Sessions and Squad PT, the Operator Sessions in particular are great.

It does a good job of dealing with the issue of S&C while keeping it job specific.
                      Last edited by Hello Alaska; 9 May 2012, 18:32.

Comment

• Bandon 10k done, 49.45 on the watch 50.06 on the clock. Fierce heat out there this morning and no wind. Not bad considering it was a good bit more undulating than last weeks, miles 3-5.5 were tight going, seemed to keep going up! If I put the same effort in last week I reckon I could have been a few minutes quicker, not to worry though, still faster than those on the couch! Onwards and upwards.

Comment

• 7.63km done in 35 mins from stephens green along grand canal to dolphins barn and back. Anyone else see the big fire on harcourt street!? got a nice action shot on camera whilst on my run but it meant a detour which fecked up my time as the road was closed off, hope nobody was hurt.
                          "He is an enemy officer taken in battle and entitled to fair treatment."
                          "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

Comment

• Anyone here do the AON last w/e,how did it go.

Comment

• Whats AON? My recent training updates:

Ran a 5k on boxing day 23:36.
                              Ran a 5 miler on new years 38:30
                              Started with a tri club so my current training load is Monday 4/8 mile run. Tues swimming session (swam 1.8km last week), Wed Track running (10x400 with 400 recovery this week), Friday Tempo sessions on track (20mins tempo followed by 4-3-2-1 pyramid or 4,5,6,7,6,5,4,3,2,1 pyramid), then sunday is the bike 65km done last week. Rest Thursday and Sat.

I will get fit again!

Comment

• Fail to prepare, prepare to fail

Comment

Working...
                                X