No announcement yet.

Unit fitness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm not sobbing, and I am not dissing my unit. I am ranting. Who has not ranted? Take a bow, cause if you have not ranted, are you really committed to what you do?

I have spoken to epople from various units in person and views expressed here - so my rant is not unique. It is the view of many. Read it in the context of the RDF entire - frustration is felt by many, but what do we do?

Do we walk away? NO. Do we try to change our training techniques & programmes? YES, but even that is now not enough. All I am trying to get to the sorce of is what the difficulty is?

If THAT is sobbig or dissing my unit, the we are clearly not going to get along (which is fine by me).

Comment

HA, I love that approach - but you know yourself that it won't work because numbers are so bad as it is. The weak ones won't come back, or will bitch, and the higher ups will jump on you for scaring people away. This is what happens when the only real KPI is the number of people who turn up and not what standard they are at.

Distgusting TBH
      "Attack your attic with a Steyr....as seen on the Late Late Show..."

Comment

Originally posted by Hello Alaska View Post

Next chance you get where you've got decent numbers from the Bn down in the Glen, destroy them. The kind of thing where you tell them all they're going out to practice patrol's with the Pln Sgt and Pln Commander, patrol up to the tank tracks and have the Cpl's waiting for them. Few smoke grenade's thrown, everyone down and start crawling, a quick shout of "Follow the whistle blasts" followed by "Rally on me" from the Pln Commander and take them through a proper Scratch session.

At the end of it, where they're sure to be absolute ****ed explain to them in the simplest terms, that you've just shown them why the need to be fit. That if they want to do the cool guy shit, they need to be physically able to carry out the tasks. If they're not willing to put in the work, it's easy enough to get discharged.

At some stage, they need to be brought back to reality.
        The problem is getting the decent numbers!

Comment

Next chance you get where you've got decent numbers from the Bn down in the Glen, destroy them. The kind of thing where you tell them all they're going out to practice patrol's with the Pln Sgt and Pln Commander, patrol up to the tank tracks and have the Cpl's waiting for them. Few smoke grenade's thrown, everyone down and start crawling, a quick shout of "Follow the whistle blasts" followed by "Rally on me" from the Pln Commander and take them through a proper Scratch session.
          I'm havin flashbacks now

Anyway HA is completely correct, and so is Steyr Fan. There is little point doing the big coordination and planning if noone is turning up. And so we need to rethink the reserve down in the low levels.
          "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

Originally posted by trellheim View Post
            And so we need to rethink the reserve down in the low levels.
            One of the reasons the RDF has gone downhill is that many of those in authority do not take into account the feeling of the private (the main point bing morale - eg you have attended every event for 11.75 months (when you were sworn in), your now a 2* and are then told instead of getting €180 in old money you are getting no grat!.

Yes it is a military organisation but you don't have a military if you don't have an soldiers!

Comment

the problem is the attitude seems to be "ah no, we can't let them do that, they might get cold/wet/slightly injured"? That's just what I've gathered from reading various posts. Not from people on here, people on here seem to have the right attitude, its those above that seem to think like that. Surely when people joined up they thought "right, military organisation, going to be a little tough surely". The fact that alot of the training is voluntary is a difficulty IMO. If people were to join up and then have to attend for three years or whatever period, it would reduce dropouts surely. But all of this goes back to restructuring the org as a whole (again)
              I knew a simple soldier boy.....
              Who grinned at life in empty joy,
              Slept soundly through the lonesome dark,
              And whistled early with the lark.

In winter trenches, cowed and glum,
              With crumps and lice and lack of rum,
              He put a bullet through his brain.
              And no one spoke of him again.

You smug-faced crowds with kindling eye
              Who cheer when soldier lads march by,
              Sneak home and pray you'll never know
              The hell where youth and laughter go.