What weight is in a backpack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ZULU View Post
    There's been a bit of experimenting going on of late with a fitness test involving rifle helmet, iPlcs vest and patrol pack c/w 20kg over 2 miles in under 18min - for both male and female
    we used to have that - called the 'FleetFoot' - brilliant test.

but now we have the OFT's - Operational Fitness Tests done under similar conditions in CBA etc, with a choice of 12 different tasks i think to be completed.
    RGJ

...Once a Rifleman - Always a Rifleman... Celer et Audax

The Rifles

Comment

There's been a bit of experimenting going on of late with a fitness test involving rifle helmet, iPlcs vest and patrol pack c/w 20kg over 2 miles in under 18min - for both male and female
      Only guessing here, but 18 mins sounds like good going in full kit.

RGJ, would tasks be like lifting ammo cases, scaling a 6ft wall, that sort of thing??

Comment

Originally posted by SwiftandSure View Post
        Only guessing here, but 18 mins sounds like good going in full kit.

RGJ, would tasks be like lifting ammo cases, scaling a 6ft wall, that sort of thing??
        spot on, i think there is also a 'casualty drag' and other similar stuff, i'll see if the list of 'events' is freely available.
        RGJ

The Rifles

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalGreenJacket View Post
          good news about the Camelbak connectors - we are missing a trick there.

as for spare boots in bergans - i've served all over the world in desert, temperate and artic conditions and never ever carried spares in my bergan, and i only remember boots on the packing list in Phase 1 of basic training and that was to add the fcuk around factor and prevent NFCI's (non-freezing cold injuries) to blokes who couldn't look after their feet.

we always carry spare boots in our grip when going on exercise or operations - but i've never carried them on my back in CEMO, much prefer the gore-tex sock option.

if you are going to get one pair of boots wet - you will get two pairs wet so no point.

if they are still on any list now - you can be sure they won't be carried when it comes to the crunch.

that said - if you like to carry spare boots then that's your call and you are not wrong either.
          I think we are talking across purposes here.NO body has said that in the DF we carry spare boots in our Bergens on Ex or Ops.I know i never have or would.Thats what sausage bags are for.Second line ,RESUP kit.
          We DO have to pack them for our Fitness test Loaded march.So if i was doing the Part 3 tomorrow i would have to unpack my Bergen (containing my normal kit for the field) and repack it as per the Instruction for the test.Its a nause but its the rule.Normally most infantry lads carry more kit than specified for a bit of "sneaky training".i usually cant be arsed taking out my sleeping system so i leave it in.
          There is no set weight specified.All those items listed DO add up to a standardised weight.I will pack my bergen and BV as per and weigh it and let ye know what the weight is.Give me a few days.Ok.

I heard that for the Horses mouth(Offr in DFPES,EX Pln comdr in my gaff) as far back as '09.Hope it comes in. 20kg? 44Ibs.We dont even carry that nowon the part 3.The Fitness test for the Black faced lads is only 35 Ils in CEFO(BV & Daysack).Wonder why the increase.To simulate the combat weight incl CBA maybe?

we used to have that - called the 'FleetFoot' - brilliant test.

but now we have the OFT's - Operational Fitness Tests done under similar conditions in CBA etc, with a choice of 12 different tasks i think to be completed.
          OFT's are for units deploying on OPS are they not.
          BPT and CFT are still the norm for all other units.Is that not the case?
          "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

Originally posted by apod View Post
            OFT's are for units deploying on OPS are they not.
            BPT and CFT are still the norm for all other units.Is that not the case?
            that's right apod - PFA's and CFT's are the norm - OFT's are only for those going on Ops - and i've only ever seen the Infantry do them.

but i do think your manual needs a re-write if it bases the test on kit carried instead of weight - spare smock, spare boots, issued wet gear, helmet and full water bottle can't weight that much surely.
            RGJ

The Rifles

Comment

that's right apod - PFA's and CFT's are the norm - OFT's are only for those going on Ops - and i've only ever seen the Infantry do them.

but i do think your manual needs a re-write if it bases the test on kit carried instead of weight - spare smock, spare boots, issued wet gear, helmet and full water bottle can't weight that much surely.
              Yes it does and apparently it is being.However at the moment the part 3 has to take into account a wide age group.I have already seen major changes to the fitness test in my time in the DF.I guarantee when all the pre 94's are gone it will change again.
              "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

Working...
              X