X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Captain Edmund Blackadder
    replied
    3h 45mins for the 12.8km?

Does it have you going up some of the Wicklow Mountains?
    Last edited by Captain Edmund Blackadder; 24 February 2020, 00:24.

Leave a comment:

• DeV
    replied
    Originally posted by apod View Post
    For the benefit of those who said we could never do anything like this.
    New CFA(Combat fitness assessments) as part of TS 090/2018 Inf Pln Sgts cse.
    3.2k carrying 16kg not including water with Helmet worn and rifle carried. 20 mins or less. Graded.
    8.0k .Weight and kit as above. 62 mins or less.Graded.
    12.8 k Carrying 18kg.Helmet worn ,rifle carried. 3hr 45 mins or less. Graded.

Tac Sim test: Leopard crawl 25m, Dummy Drag 25m, Dummy Carry 50m
    70kg Dummy. Helmet,GSBA,B/Vest worn.Rifle carried 3 Mins 45 Secs or less. graded.

Max 50 marks per assessment.

Not IT's I know but a step in the right direction.
    Not just on that cse other Inf Sch Cses as well

Leave a comment:

• apod
    replied
    Interesting video on how the RFT(S) is conducted.
    I reckon with a bit of investment( drag bags etc) this would be a good one for our Infantry units at least.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrojT8NpTE0&t=4s

Leave a comment:

• juansan
    replied
    My point about the amount of time it will take is that jobs are being rushed, done incorrectly or not being done, things that effect people careers. There arena enough hours in the day for a lot of people.

Leave a comment:

• apod
    replied
    For the benefit of those who said we could never do anything like this.
    New CFA(Combat fitness assessments) as part of TS 090/2018 Inf Pln Sgts cse.
    3.2k carrying 16kg not including water with Helmet worn and rifle carried. 20 mins or less. Graded.
    8.0k .Weight and kit as above. 62 mins or less.Graded.
    12.8 k Carrying 18kg.Helmet worn ,rifle carried. 3hr 45 mins or less. Graded.

Tac Sim test: Leopard crawl 25m, Dummy Drag 25m, Dummy Carry 50m
    70kg Dummy. Helmet,GSBA,B/Vest worn.Rifle carried 3 Mins 45 Secs or less. graded.

Max 50 marks per assessment.

Not IT's I know but a step in the right direction.

Leave a comment:

• apod
    replied
    No.My links were for the two interview videos at the bottom of the Defence imagery page.Dunno why they didn't work but hey ho.

Leave a comment:

• DeV
    replied
    http://www.defenceimagery.mod.uk/fot...=((23092018A))
    Apod’s link?

https://youtu.be/1h6xEgbxr0Q

Leave a comment:

• apod
    replied
    Originally posted by Flamingo View Post
    Duff links
    Feck. Pity.Dunno what went wrong there.Well worth looking for on that site though.Plenty of the background on the new tests.

Leave a comment:

• DeV
    replied
    Originally posted by X-RayOne View Post
    You've not made a decent arguement yet for not introducing something more appropriate for annual fitness tests......just a negative sounding response something along the lines of "it'll take too long.....it's too much hassle to pull the extra gear together"

both of which are untrue considerations.....

BA changing march part however all that is different is the scales of webbing everybody is already issued with and adding personel weapon. No shortages of any of that ckit currently. just sign out weapons / bring webbing to ITs.

Both BA and US army using the simplest weights for LME exercises....bar bells in a skip bag for drags, kettlebells, medicine balls, metal bar for chin ups.....no shortage of any of that kit in any have decent barrack gym nowadays.

Everybody is busy with duties, taskings, etc. that is true...but everybody knows they have an annual fitness test, annual range practice and days allocated for each every year. no problem there either.

the negative attitude to something that could serve to improve actual and functional fitness levels, pride and effectiveness of our soldiers is the most disappointing thing unfortunately.
    Is there enough of the kit in the guy to allow 10 people to do it at the same time and in every gym?
    Do they all have the space?

I’m not against it I would actually question if some of the US military ones are representative

My point about the amount of time it will take is that jobs are being rushed, done incorrectly or not being done, things that effect people’s careers (eg admin). There aren’t enough hours in the day for a lot of people.

I’m not anti progression with this type of thing:
    - the necessary resources are in place to allow large numbers to be done at one time
    - the soldier is treated right (from pay, admin, medicals etc)
    - sufficient capable soldiers are retained

Leave a comment:

• X-RayOne
    replied
    Originally posted by DeV View Post
    Except you know those guys meeting themselves coming back on all there taskings.... now 1 of them (ITs) will take longer

It depends on what was added, if additional LMEs (eg plank, chin ups, dips etc) they require minimal additional equipment, set up time etc. It’s we went down the functional route a lot more resources are required.

I’m not saying that it couldn’t or shouldn’t be done .... but as ever there are implications
    You've not made a decent arguement yet for not introducing something more appropriate for annual fitness tests......just a negative sounding response something along the lines of "it'll take too long.....it's too much hassle to pull the extra gear together"

both of which are untrue considerations.....

BA changing march part however all that is different is the scales of webbing everybody is already issued with and adding personel weapon. No shortages of any of that ckit currently. just sign out weapons / bring webbing to ITs.

Both BA and US army using the simplest weights for LME exercises....bar bells in a skip bag for drags, kettlebells, medicine balls, metal bar for chin ups.....no shortage of any of that kit in any have decent barrack gym nowadays.

Everybody is busy with duties, taskings, etc. that is true...but everybody knows they have an annual fitness test, annual range practice and days allocated for each every year. no problem there either.

the negative attitude to something that could serve to improve actual and functional fitness levels, pride and effectiveness of our soldiers is the most disappointing thing unfortunately.

Leave a comment:

• Flamingo
    replied
    Duff links

Leave a comment:

• apod
    replied
    Some background.
    http://www.defenceimagery.mod.uk/fot...795F04ACC04247
    http://www.defenceimagery.mod.uk/fot...77ED50A6CA7DFF
    Last edited by apod; 25 September 2018, 19:56.

Leave a comment:

• DeV
    replied
    Originally posted by X-RayOne View Post
    Dev, no reason why something similar couldn't be implemented here for both PDF and reserve units. just needs the will and some concentrated logistics effort. afterall the numbers involved in the DF are tiny compared to either the BA or US army.
    Except you know those guys meeting themselves coming back on all there taskings.... now 1 of them (ITs) will take longer

It depends on what was added, if additional LMEs (eg plank, chin ups, dips etc) they require minimal additional equipment, set up time etc. It’s we went down the functional route a lot more resources are required.

I’m not saying that it couldn’t or shouldn’t be done .... but as ever there are implications

Leave a comment:

• X-RayOne
    replied
    new BA tests look similar to the new US army fitness tests also.
    https://www.military.com/daily-news/...wake-call.html
    much more emphasis on functional fitnes and strength also.
    defintely a good move on both organisations behalf to get rid of gender and age specifics......they just give false positive results in comparision to real world fitness requirements.
    Dev, no reason why something similar couldn't be implemented here for both PDF and reserve units. just needs the will and some concentrated logistics effort. afterall the numbers involved in the DF are tiny compared to either the BA or US army.
    Last edited by X-RayOne; 25 September 2018, 09:18.

Leave a comment:

• DeV
    replied
    Originally posted by apod View Post
    There aren't 9,000 troops in the Combat arms. Break down the strength of the Army and you see that. Infantry is the biggest Corps but still nowhere near that figure.
    CSS would need additional appropriate ones too

Leave a comment:

Working...
X