Small arms effect on different barriers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Small arms effect on different barriers

Just found this on a relativly new YouTube channel that has a fair few useful videos. I thought it deserved a thread of its own.

I was personally quite surprised at the level of protection provided by a car door - I wouldn't have thought it would keep out much more than an air rifle!

'He died who loved to live,' they'll say,
    'Unselfishly so we might have today!'
    Like hell! He fought because he had to fight;
    He died that's all. It was his unlucky night.
    http://www.salamanderoasis.org/poems...nnis/luck.html

Good find, thanks for posting.

A friend of mine fired shots from a .38 Ruger Speed Six through the passengers window of a soft-skin police car, at another car, containing some vermin with wooly faces and firearms.

His rounds hit their vehicle, but only barely penetrated the outer skin of the car.
    'History is a vast early warning system'. Norman Cousins

Comment

Do you folk not do firepower demos?
      I thought everyone in this country's uniform get to see at least one. Important to know what is safe to duck behind.
      For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

Originally posted by na grohmiti View Post
        Do you folk not do firepower demos?
        I thought everyone in this country's uniform get to see at least one. Important to know what is safe to duck behind.
        Well, I’m out nearly 20 years, and it wasn’t something that was done for TA medical units back then...
        'He died who loved to live,' they'll say,
        'Unselfishly so we might have today!'
        Like hell! He fought because he had to fight;
        He died that's all. It was his unlucky night.
        http://www.salamanderoasis.org/poems...nnis/luck.html

Comment

In the two armed organisations I have been in, on more than one occasion new entrants were treated to a firepower demo showing the damage rounds from each of the weapon types you used, was capable of.
          Concrete blocks not as good as one would expect.
          For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

Originally posted by na grohmiti View Post
            In the two armed organisations I have been in, on more than one occasion new entrants were treated to a firepower demo showing the damage rounds from each of the weapon types you used, was capable of.
            Concrete blocks not as good as one would expect.
            Neither are cooked chickens. A spacer from a former unit of mine was doing such a demo on the ranges one time. Hangs a cooked chicken from the top of Target No 1 and puts two rounds through it. Next was a full can of Coke on No 2 target. Only problem was, some genius decided to hang a bed sheet on the 4 foot target behind each item. Result, demo of effects of small arms fire completed, and an irate CQMS who had signed for the (now destroyed) bedsheets...
            "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

In the Police Training Centre (long time ago now) I vaguely recall we got shown some grainy video from the 1970's telling us what effect rounds would have etc.

Take cover behind the engine block is what sticks in my mind.

In my Mobile Support Unit Days, at the height of Drumcree, we got taken down to Ballykinlar for a 'pipe bomb' demonstration one day, with the ATO.

He detonated various types/sizes of device, and concluded that they weren't that effective.

Someone said you should try standing in a shield line when they're being thrown at you...then someone else said you should tell the widow of the Police Officer killed by one in Portadown a few months ago they aren't that effective...

I've never seen the type of demonstration detailed in the video in my Army service...they may happen...I've just not been.
              Last edited by spider; 4 January 2020, 14:30.
              'History is a vast early warning system'. Norman Cousins

Comment

we had the basic stuff; a blank fired from an FN at a milk carton,range one foot. result; carton shredded and warning emphasised to leave BFA on rifle at all times. Another one; a breeze block hit by two rounds of 7.62 and it practically evaporated. 9 in solid block hit by two rounds; smashed to pieces. Standard domestic door given the 9mm treatment at 25 yards; most rounds went clean through. quarter inch mild steel set up as a mock tank target; total penetration by mixed belt of rounds fired from a GPMG in SF mount. Only old falling plates made of armour cutoffs resisted penetration by 7.62.

Comment

Working...
                X