Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DeV
    replied
    Orienteering & shooting is good for training. Orienteering allows the practical application of map reading lessons done in the class room, while allowing for physical training, without the need for a PTI. Shooting is a basic skill for every soldier, it should be regularily practiced & any increase in standards, is obviously a positive development. But everyone should be active in these events not just the teams. But sometimes the selection of the teams could be better, eg run a unit competition. Both are also excellent for espirit de corp.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Jesus,i hope thats not the case or the reserve will be messed up even more than it is now!

Leave a comment:

• bulldemboots!
    replied
    Originally posted by Western Commando
    All our Officers and Cadre were interested in was shooting teams and orienteering, i.e. activities that would lead to competitive success for the unit, and nothing was allowed to get in the way of that.
    That sounds very familiar.....

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Goldie and Jpb are spot on. When our Bn was down cadre due to overseas tours or long leave etc we got replacement NCOs from our parent PDF unit. They came in full of enthusiasm but as soon as they planned any kind of activity it was shot down, either by the usual Cadre staff or the Officers. All our Officers and Cadre were interested in was shooting teams and orienteering, i.e. activities that would lead to competitive success for the unit, and nothing was allowed to get in the way of that. Any chance of worthwhile military training was wiped out. I’ve always said it- the biggest problem with the reserve is the Cadre.

The other thing to bear in mind is that if a PDF NCO is very capable his own unit won’t want to lose him to the RDF for any length of time. Its quite possible the current Cadre will be replaced with the wasters the Regular Bns won’t let near their own troops.

Leave a comment:

• JAG
    replied
    Joker

I stand corrected.

Leave a comment:

• FMolloy
    replied
    It's proper training because marines are cool

Leave a comment:

• The Joker
    replied
    By whos standards. The training you receive should all depend on the type of mission you are going to undertake.

Leave a comment:

• ODIN
    replied
    this would be proper training http://www.royal-navy.mod.uk/static/pages/2929.html Royal Marine Reserves!!!

Leave a comment:

• The Joker
    replied
    I didnt PM you those details because I felt that people had a right to know sice the discussion was help in open forum.

Leave a comment:

• The Joker
    replied
    Ok heres a brief outline without going into too much detail.

Our lads have gone on joint tactical exercises with the PDF LSB.
    Our lads are now doing duties in Bricins such as Wardsmaster and ambulance attendant.
    Better training from numerous Doctors, Nurses, DFB and ex-PDF LSB medics.
    Better training from the EBTC eg the new general TAM.
    Wider range of training eg Singars etc.
    Medical instructors courses run by the Med school....

Now, do you want me to continue?

Obviously alot has changed over two years, if you were still in you would have known that....

Good luck with the TA

Leave a comment:

• FMolloy
    replied
    Increased involvement in PDF exercises, multi-unit exercises like 7Bn's FIBUA in Fort Davis, imporved access to equipment & materials for those going courses......

Leave a comment:

• JAG
    replied
    Two years. And feel free to PM me how things have changed.

Leave a comment:

• The Joker
    replied
    What are you talking about?

The level of training is good, very good infact. I was simply refering to the lax atmosphere on camp. You have been gone from the FCA for how long now? Would I be right in saying about 3 years?

Things have changed....

Leave a comment:

• JAG
    replied
    Joker

Optimism. I remember that. It can only get better, eh? Gone as low as you can go, eh? Just remember one thing.

Underneath you, the digging continues.:-patriot:

Leave a comment:

• The Joker
    replied
    Yeah but at least now that we have hit a new low all we can do is go up!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X