Recruitment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recruitment

Before you start...This is not a plug for any units. And as such anybody who starts slagging off other units etc will have their posts removed.

Now that that is out of the way.

How does you unit draw the recruits? Do you recruit in schools?
    What works best for you?

While on my travels I have seen posters for a certain Bn in shops. Was the money needed for this taken from unit grant-in-aid?

How many recruits do you have parading?
    If your not in bed by 4 o' clock it's time to go home!

My Coy's reputation and the magnetisim of our instructors is all we need.
    It is only by contemplation of the incompetent that we can appreciate the difficulties and accomplishments of the competent.

Comment

Comment

DELETED FOR REASONS OF NATIONAL SECURITY

ABOVE MESSAGE INSERTED TO PEEK THE CURIOSITY OF THIS BOARDS MEMBERS
        Last edited by Bam Bam; 5 January 2005, 09:17.
        It is only by contemplation of the incompetent that we can appreciate the difficulties and accomplishments of the competent.

Comment

Originally posted by The Joker
          While on my travels I have seen posters for a certain Bn in shops. Was the money needed for this taken from unit grant-in-aid?
          What money needed? Does no-one have the initiative to do up their own posters and print them out in work?
          Take these men and women for your example.
          Like them, remember that posterity can only
          be for the free; that freedom is the sure
          possession of those who have the
          courage to defend it.
          Liberty is being free from the things we don't like in order to be slaves of the things we do like.
          If you're not ready to die for it, put the word freedom out of your vocabulary.

Comment

Originally posted by JAG
            What money needed? Does no-one have the initiative to do up their own posters and print them out in work?

Does everybody have access to a computer?
            Would everybody be proficient enough to design a poster?
            Does everybody have a job where they can use company resources for their own use?

Unless the answer is yes to all of the above, the unit/person in charge would have to pay for them.

Comment

I think it was the 14Bn who had their own posters.

Can anybody confirm or deny this?

Comment

B coy have their own, yes
                "Gentlemen, you can’t fight in here...this is the War Room!"

Comment

Thats what I thought.

Comment

Does everybody have access to a computer?
                    Would everybody be proficient enough to design a poster?
                    Does everybody have a job where they can use company resources for their own use?

Unless the answer is yes to all of the above, the unit/person in charge would have to pay for them.
                    Whats with everybody needing to be able to do it all you need is one.

Is there not army printers and could we not avail of their use.

Comment

we (our coy) have posters dstributed every year, been doing it about 10 years. the ones we have now are pretty good, awww don't be shy, you know who you are, good stuff!

DA/dfr (cant remember which) allows for money to be spent on 'propaganda' materials,

so you go Goebbels!

Comment

These posters were printed on what looked to be glossy A3 Paper, not you average home printer.

Comment

Well the platoon im in now used "assoication", we went to schools we were in our selfs or bring pte's who were in the schools ant have a chat or ppt show about our training, roles, and plenty of action shots...

basicly places where the idea of not being where they currently are and have something to do and look forward to on a tue/wed/thur night are goldmines.
                          Over the centuries, mankind has tried many ways of combating the forces of evil...prayer, fasting, good works and so on. Up until Doom, no one seemed to have thought about the double-barrel shotgun. Eat leaden death, demon...

http://www.iamawesome.com/

Comment

I think it was the 14Bn who had their own posters.
                            OK, Where did you see those posters??? I know where we put most of them but I didn't realise that there were any in shops.

OK

What we do....

In August, letters are sent (printed out on computer and posted in unit post) to specific schools and colleges. A week later, those places are contacted by phone. The Career Guidance teacher or Student union usually seem to be the best people to contact. For Career Guidance teachers, it usually means that they give up a class for you to talk to the students. We have a short video/DVD set up and usually play it in the background. Colleges tend to be day long events and a lot more preparation and numbers are required. Having both male and female recruiters helps as well. Colleges also tend to have specific days in October when they have societies and other groups in. For those interested, we have a short handout (1/3 of a page) with details of location and times etc of a recruitment night.

The recruitment night is broken into a short, more detailed, talk about the Reserve followed by a weapons display. All and any questions are answered. If interested, people are asked to come up the following week to start training. There is a training programme worked out which slowly introduces them to military life and training by using the non-restricted items in the recruit syllabus. They are also introduced to the previous years recruits (who also make up some of the recruiters) who tell them "enthusiastically" what they did for the year.

It takes time to do. It NEEDS to be done by students or people with holidays as it is VERY labour and time intensive.
                            Having been doing it for a few years, We now know most Career Guidance teachers by name and we have a schedule worked out. Some even contact us during the year for specific events etc. The recruiters have a lot of experience and know what to say and not say, but it has taken years to achieve this much. You also have to expect a major attrition rate as about only 1 in 5 people will actually stay. Schools are very good for numbers but colleges are not. However every recruit matters.

The next job once you get them in the door is to keep them. It is only if you have a well prepared programme, training and NCOs that they will stay. Otherwise, it is just a waste of time. I have found that "cool" training doesn't work but providing them with a goal, and showing them the steps needed to achieve that goal, that works.
                            ie. We are training you to participate in a Bn Exercise in September. To achieve this, we need to complete Foot & arms drills, steyr and tactical training etc. All the time, as you move onto a new subject, they should be shown the relevance of that subject to their goal and what is the next step.

Comment

Well Docman I am very impressed. It seems like you have your shit together. In my unit it’s not so well thought out. We have not visited a school in a few years now. I was one of the recruiters; I gave a talk about the rank system. I was told to. It nearly put me asleep!!! I was only a 2 star or a new 3 star. There was also a talk about the new DPM uniform etc. Not sure we got any recruits from it, but it was an experience for all involved.

In my unit we recruit through association. Meaning...if everybody in the unit brings up 1 recruit then that will be enough. From what I have seen this does not work. There needs to be a concentrated effort to recruit people. However another major difficulty we have is the issue of weapons training. Most times they will be told yes. But it never materialised.

My unit paid for leaflets to be made up a few years ago, they were given out to the local shops etc we got a pretty good response. We are hoping to get a website up and running in the New Year.

The recruits that we do have started an Occupational First Aid course which is recognised in Civvy Street. But they have not started getting into the knitty gritty of military training yet. They may as well be in the Order of Malta at the moment. It’s very annoying.

Comment

Working...
                              X