No announcement yet.

Natural Wastage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sixteen years done im the only one left out of two sections.
    Some people are just not cut out for it they think its all about poncing around a barracks with a rifle slung over you back.
    My own unit was nearly on its knees a while back we got about two sections of recruits in which are now two stars we lost one to the guards all the rest are still parading.
    Now we have a platoon of recruits wonder will i post the same thing this time next year.
    Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something.sigpic

Comment

It s only a few years ago that our biggest drain on people was the Cadets. One year we had 7 from the unit get into the class!

Largest recruit body for a while at present. All switched on and looking fairly interested. I'll remain positive
      "The Question is not: how far you will take this? The Question is do you possess the constitution to go as far as is needed?"

Comment

Originally posted by ZULU View Post
        One year we had 7 from the unit get into the class!
        That's a bloody impressive stat, Zulu.

As for me personally, I am more or less the only regularly parading RDF member left
        out of my recruit class. One of the guys who got commissioned into the PDF
        retired not too long back, gone to No.2 Civvy Street.
        "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

Originally posted by Truck Driver View Post
          That's a bloody impressive stat, Zulu.
          Its pretty cool alright. Came up in conversation with Pln Cmdr when driving to Kilworth. Between the two coys that joined to form our re-org unit, we've had at least 1 member get into the Cadets each year since 1999. And thats only from what I remember.
          "The Question is not: how far you will take this? The Question is do you possess the constitution to go as far as is needed?"

Comment

This confirms what I am hearing from nearly everyone, although the reporting units [ Cork and Dublin ] are all citybound.

[ The point being, that this 2007-2008 year's recruiting has taken a tremendous jump upwards for no obvious reason. No official campaign has been run; only thing I can think of is the recession. ]
            "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

The temporary bans over the last couple of years??

Comment

Sixteen years done im the only one left out of two sections.
                I can empathise with this with 17 years done and the only one left out of twenty six..and to make things worse I was the oldest in the group at 24.!

Its probably due to the fact that I stayed in the same town..had the same job for about 10n years was married with a kid and was past the school and college thing.

Don't even remember most of the class but funny thing is more of the instructors , two out of four stuck around and they were in the same age bracket as my self with the same family situations.
                Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Most of our recruits from last year are still parading which is a nice development. the fact that most are attending the IT in carlow so havent moved away has to be a major reason . Still its good to act have ptes parading ,if only there were NCO s to train them
                  Anyone need a spleen ?

Comment

I am speaking as a recruit here,so bare with me.
                    Is the real problem w/ the Reserve the fact that unless you go for NCO course,there is no real long term attractions for RDF pte's?I mean PDF offers same courses but at a faster pace and more of them.

I will be the first to put my hand up and say I am not staying in RDF long term.I am applying for the Gardai next year and the Army would be my 2nd choice..The RDF,imo,is seen as something to do while in college/school before applying for PDF or GS.If you have to do LC/finish college and can't apply yet,then RDF is naturally your best outlet to do something similar while waiting.Don't get me wrong,I'm loving RDF and it is great..but most people that are being recruited have same ambitions as me.The RDF need to try and attract recruits who have a steady job or who are in college but not going for GS/PDF afterwards

my 2c
                    I will see you in the tall grass...

Comment

What about Integration, weapons courses such as 60mm, 81mm, 84mm, GPMG SF, .50 HMG, Peace support Ops, Skill at Arms? There is plenty out there, you just have to ask for it.

Comment

Asking for it sure..but will you always get it?
                        I will see you in the tall grass...

Comment

If you don't get ask again...if you still don't, consider joining another unit such as artillery or cavalry, you'll get a whole new kind of training that might appeal to you. There's plenty of courses out there, both for privates and for NCO's- since I've joined there's only been one year where I've done less than 3 weeks FTT and last year was 50+ days.
                          "Attack your attic with a Steyr....as seen on the Late Late Show..."

Comment

There are plenty of courses (run over FTT) but what is there to do during the rest of the year, especially for those units with low numbers and few NCOs.

Last year, we had a PDF 3* rejoin the RDF because he couldn't get on any courses!

Comment

I'm praying for better retention but I just can't see it. Hopefully the new Grat rates will do the trick, we'll just have to wait and see.
                              I've been recruiting aggressively since 2003 for my Unit. Every year I recruit a platoon. Of those 5 or 6 will end up in the PDF, 25 will go on Recruit Camp. 15 will come back in September. 10 will make annual training the following year and by the end of year 3, I have five 3* left. I’ve lost a company of trained troops in 5 years. I conduct an exit poll with most of them and for the majority there is nothing or not enough money in it for them. We can't compete against stacking shelves in a supermarket on a parade night or weekend where they can earn €10 or €11 an hour.

Now we have done everything we can to make it interesting for them. They're all trained to a high standard in module one and are bored in Recruit camp. They are taken on at least one (usually two) tactical training weekends a year, FIWAF or FIBUA so it's never the same and in different places so they don't get comfortable. Overnighters using all the Gucci kit - PLCE, helmets, kitesites, lucie's, trips etc. We've been enemy party in PSO's, for the Ranger Wing, used the Navy to land them in Davis, Helo's from the Glen to the Curragh during .5 training and still we lose them. I would like to add we're not infantry either so they get to play with the main armament of the Unit as well.

As for recruiting a different type of recruit, how do you attract them. If your targeting an older demographic, not interested in a career in the PDF, what’s the hook? They won't submit to the discipline because a) they're in employment which gives them financial freedom b) older and not used to being told what to do, and as such, they see little or no reward in it. So if anybody has any ideas I'm willing to listen 'cos we're struggling to hold them. Getting them is no problem, keeping them is a whole different ball game!
                              Last edited by Saracen; 19 February 2008, 14:02. Reason: Poor spelling
                              Once more unto the breach, dear friends

Comment

When I joined there was the bones of a full platoon (form what I can remember), there are now 5 who parade (fairly) regularly from that platoon... 3 females 2 males oh and a 3rd male sometimes takes it upon himself to don the uniform and show up, if he feels like it.

2 of the females were late 20s joining and are generally very committed. The lad who shows up when the mood strikes him was i think 23 joining. the rest left parading (myself and 2 lads) were all 17-18 joining. the majority of those who joined back in sept '05 - march '06 were 17ish with the odd early 20s thrown in. i think there were only about 6 who were over 20 joining so it certainly does show that the older people are joining the more likely they are to stay.

this year's bunch (ie current 2stars, of whom i;m now a part... yay for platoon hopping) is a bit more succesful. the reason i can think of for that is when i got dumped in with them i was observing them as an outsider and my god they were all very tight knit.. like they all seem to have bonded a LOT before even going on camp. in comparison my first recruit platoon was a lot less bonded, i barely knew most of their names!

So maybe there's something to be said for getting recruits to bond and get to know each other outside of parade nights. Imho, if there's a group of friends you have in the RDF, that you MADE through the RDF and you mostly only get to see them on parade nights, you're gonna go parade. Sort of developing loyalty to the other people in the unit at an earlier stage than normal cos in reality, a lot of recruits will only know the people in their rec platoon until they get stars and why be loyal to a bunch of people you odn't know??
                                Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.
                                Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.
                                Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
                                Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?

Comment

Working...
                                X