PDF Instructors for RDF...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PDF Instructors for RDF...

Had a PDF Cpl teaching us FIBUA the other week. Very professionell and benificial to all i.e. Officers and NCO's. We tried it again this week and although well done, more questions arose than our NCO's could answer.

Does this happen in your unit?

What do ye reckon on a permanent position in the cadre for a NCO to assist RDF NCO's in their lessons?
    Sex - Breakfast of Champions!

Originally posted by Itchy

What do ye reckon on a permanent position in the cadre for a NCO to assist RDF NCO's in their lessons?
    As far as I remember there was always a training nco as part of the cadre structure
    You're even dumber than I tell people

You might have been infected but you never were a bore

Comment

We're trying to get rid of cadre, not increase them.

Comment

They are trying to reduce the PDF cadre "permanently" with each unit, although "in addition" personnel are supposed to recruited who will help with the training of RDF units in addition to their normal duties.

Comment

Originally posted by Docman
          We're trying to get rid of cadre, not increase them.
          Are you advocating getting rid of PDF cadre and letting RDF personnel do their jobs for free?

Comment

Originally posted by DeV
            personnel are supposed to recruited who will help with the training of RDF units in addition to their normal duties.
            Sorry, meant the above. Not cadre.

Obviously there is no substitute for experience so does your unit get any training from the full timers?

And what does it consist of?
            Sex - Breakfast of Champions!

Comment

In my company and unit the nco's make it their business to learn the new tactical skills, be it FIBUA or what ever. When I first was thought FIBUA it was indeed done by the pdf but since then myself and fello corporals have made it our business to keep updating our skills. Just because we are RDF doesnt mean that we have to sit back and let the information come to us. Your NCO's should have made it their business to get the answers to your questions.. :tri:

Comment

When do you find the time for this? On minor points we get help if we ask but apart from that, Some of us are too busy teaching!

Comment

Well you cant be teaching all the time. You might find time when another corporal or nco is giving a lesson or maybe just maybe in your own time if you have the interest. In my company we make the time because this is what we love doing and we want to learn more ourselves.. If a teacher in a school didnt know something do you think they would just sit back and let someone else find out the answer or maybe even take over their class.. I think not. Get out there and find the answers yourself thats the only way to learn.. :wink:

Comment

Now THAT'S commitment. It is the kind of thing that i expect will be required from the integrated reserve instructors. Fair play to you claire, wanna join my company...?

I'm serious - please join my company!
                    Amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

hey itchy, there will indeed be more of this sort of thing - NCOs from the local pdf unit will be seconded for varying periods to assist in training, which will be done mostly by the rdf NCOs unless they don't have the skills/experience.

we only lost our training NCO a few years ago, and getting someone to come in and help is great. once the new skills are learned, the rdf NCOs should keep up to date and do it for themselves.

questions coming up is very positive, shows that people are thinking about things, and will make the training better.

Comment

in fairness this is actually the norm with a lot of units...if anybody took the time to notice A lot of the junior NCOs actually do put in a lot of time to reseach their subject. An then theres those of us who know it all already!!!
                        Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

there is no substitute for first hand knowlage and a serving pdf nco is invaluable for both advising rdf ncos and pratical current knowlage of the subject, any who i have worked with have been more than helpfull,
                          the current cadre training ncos often become detached from their respective parent pdf units and no longer keep in touch with new methords the longer they are with us.
                          "take a look to the sky right before you die, its the last time you will"

Comment

Originally posted by DeV
                            When do you find the time for this? On minor points we get help if we ask but apart from that, Some of us are too busy teaching!
                            A lot of our NCOs and officers wander into the office during the week to get info on different things. It also helps if you show up for half an hour before training. No need to be rushing things.

Comment

I was on 2 star training last weekend with my unit.

We were out in the field and had our own NCOs and a cadre nco out with us.

After each exercise our NCOs would tell us what we did right and what we did wrong, then he would also give his own opinion, he had stacks of simple tips and hints which are nevertheless important, things like how to get comfortable in a lying position, how to spot movement, how to stow the sling around the optical sights when your weapon is unslung, to how to quickly find cover and how to know where best to move when you come into contact, he also pointed out that the most important aspect was to follow EVERY SINGLE instruction given by NCOs and to KNOW by heart what your position within the squad is at all times.

He politely said to the NCOs "im not trying to steal your thunder lads" but they happily accepted his input and respected his experience and the 3 NCOs (the two RDF and 1 PDF) readily encouraged us to ask questions.

The whole thing worked out very effectively, our own NCOs have stacks of experience, the PDF NCO obviosuly brought his PDF experience, which only enhances the overall learning experience. Personally I think that having cadre aiding training in this form, is a benefit in kind, it seems to be welcomed by all members of our unit and i would guess that its ultimately invaluable.

I suppose it differs across the country and it really is down to the units and its cadres respect and attitudes towards each other.
                              Last edited by morpheus; 15 February 2005, 11:18.
                              "He is an enemy officer taken in battle and entitled to fair treatment."
                              "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

Comment

Working...
                              X