E Bde PNCO Course 05

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• E Bde PNCO Course 05

Anybody have any tips on what to expect? Any good tips on making it through the course and what (or who!) to look out for?

Cheers

http://www.irishmilitaryonline.com/b...ead.php?t=2468

http://www.irishmilitaryonline.com/b...&postcount=104

Also, bring a spare pair of boot laces. Because they get fairly frail after 14 days hard graft.
    If your not in bed by 4 o' clock it's time to go home!

Comment

Know the basics well. Especially your section in attack. Also the screed is vital. Makes up a large part of the course. Know it and have it practiced before you go on the course. Pm. me and i'll send you on some documents that'll be usefull.
      Trouble, Trouble, I tried to chase trouble but its chasing me.
      Trouble, trouble, trouble with a capitol T
      do do do do do do do da do do do. etc etc......

Comment

Is there a course this year? Be aware that Eastern Brigade courses are run differently to those in the Southern brigade(Where HML done his)

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

I've promised several people that I would put together my definite list of tips for the POTS course. So here they are:

(1) Get as fit as possible ... the entry fitness test is the simple part - its the tactical block that is the toughest and MUCH easier if you are fit.

(2) Get your own copy of just four manuals - foot drill, arms drill, Steyr and Bren for the MOI block.

(3) Learn the Screid beforehand and get someone to show you how to complete a lesson plan (they don't really show you how to on the course but expect you to know).

(4) Get some practice marching troops in your unit before you go. This in IMPORTANT.

(5) Know the basics of map reading (grid references and measuring distance).

(6) Have TWO smocks and at least THREE pairs of combats. Lots of tshirts and lots of socks. You will get soaked every morning and afternoon during the tactical block. The more uniforms you have will allow you to dry and rotate uniforms. Part of the course is all about management of dry clothes.

(7) Have lots of baby wipes ... everyone runs out of them during the tactical block.

(8) Consider buying a set of "dry flow" base layers to wear under your uniform - this keeps you warmer and more dry. These are now being issued to regular army ... but not to us yet so you have to get your own set.

(9) Some people had knee / elbow pads to protect their elbows and knees. Looking back on it - that was one of the main things I forgot to bring.

(10) Bring a mozzie-net for being out on the ground. Mozzies must look forward to feasting on PNCO course participants each year!

(11) Look after your feet to avoid blisters. So foot powder, plenty of dry socks and a brillant spray from Scholl called "Blister Treatment Spray". Spray it on at the slightest sign of tender skin - forms a "second skin".

(12) Beg, borrow or steal a set of PLCE/Protac webbing including a bergen.

(13) Make sure you know the basics of infantry tactics - it is assumed that you know this on the course - even if you are from a corp unit. So get you unit to take you out and do some pre-training if this is the case.

(14) Make sure your unit issues you with a helmet that FITS. During the tactical block you will be wearing it for 10+ hours a day.

(15) Make sure you have your set of No1s and that they fit etc. You will be wearing them a LOT.

(16) Oh and ... make sure you enjoy yourself - because if you are prepared then its not half as difficult as many people pretend it is !!

Anyone want to add any more?

Comment

Originally posted by Goldie fish
            Is there a course this year? Be aware that Eastern Brigade courses are run differently to those in the Southern brigade(Where HML done his)
            Ya come to think of it i thought all courses were off till after the re-org.
            Surely it's not all that different. The basics are going to be the same.

Comment

The eastern Brigade has been running a modular course for the last few years,some of the instructors on it are members here.

Comment

The eastern Brigade has been running a modular course for the last few years,some of the instructors on it are members here.
                How do you mean modular.

Comment

use the search function

Comment

use the search function
                    Seems like a popular phrase in ere.
                    Ya that explains it. Seems like a better idea rather than cramming it all into two weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by landmark
                      I've promised several people that I would put together my definite list of tips for the POTS course. So here they are:
                      (17) Get a set of gloves: Light fingerless weightlifter gloves are good for hot summers. Crawling around in thistles and thorns will reduce your hands to ribbons in no time.

(18) TAC-AIDS. The issue ones are a bit too detailed. Make your own for use in the field and keep the issue one for reference.

(19) Don't get in the way of your section commander. Even if he/she isn't able to lead a section and doesn't know what they are doing, by complaining or taking over you are A). preventing them from learning and B). showing a lack of respect for authority that WILL be noted.

(20) Lead, don't follow (when you are section commander). More importantly, know the difference between Command & Leadership and apply it.

Comment

A lot of people go ape when faced with the tactical block, don't do this. You'll just cause problems where there are none. Keep a cool head and get on with it.

As for the MOI week, do as much study as possible for it, especially learn off that screed BEFORE you go, you'll be on the square for hours carrying it out. What you don't need is to be wasting time learning it off on the course causing stress.

Be prepared for it and you'll be fine.

Comment

you all seem to be NCO's or officers, is anyone else going to be a student?

p.s. thanks for the pointers
                          Last edited by Guest; 23 February 2005, 11:01.

Comment

Originally posted by Nuts2this
                            you all seem to be NCO's or officers, is anyone else going to be a student?

p.s. thanks for the pointers
                            Well you did ask for tips didnt you? You cant really get tips off students because they havent done the course yet.

Like goldie said im not familiar with the Eastern Brigade course either but if you know the screed and are confident at marching troops before you go it will make things a lot easier on yourself.
                            Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body,
                            but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other,
                            body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming........................
                            WOO HOO - What a Ride!" :tri:

Comment

If you can't attend Module 3 (the weekend that is usually held in mid-May) does that mean you can't do module 4 (2 weeks tactics in the summer) cos I have exams on at that time I think?

Comment

Working...
                              X