• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Platoon Leader

As Requested

Word document
    Attached Files

What do people think? Is there room for this in the Irish Defence Forces. Could IMO be used.... without compromising military security?

Any suggestions?

Comment

I reckon it will be next week before people finish reading the post...
      If your not in bed by 4 o' clock it's time to go home!

Comment

Definitely in there in the running for prize of longest post of the century.

Maybe a chapter of War and Peace next? :-)

Comment

A week might take a bit longer than that

Comment

Its worth the read

Comment

Naah...

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Bullet Points Of What Its About Please Docman
                It is only by contemplation of the incompetent that we can appreciate the difficulties and accomplishments of the competent.

Comment

I'm on chapter 2, how's everyone else doing?
                  "I have never accepted what many people have kindly said, namely that I inspired the Nation. It was the nation and the race dwelling around the globe that had the lion heart. I had the luck to be called upon to give the roar"
                  - Sir Winston Churchill, Speech Nov. 1954.

Comment

Originally posted by Goldie fish
                    Naah...
                    Closed minds are great alright

Looks interesting, just a pain in the arse in its current format....cutting & pasting to a word document might be more user-friendly.
                    "Hello, Good Evening and Bollocks..."

Roger Mellie

Comment

For those of us who don't have the time- bullit points please?
                      Take these men and women for your example.
                      Like them, remember that posterity can only
                      be for the free; that freedom is the sure
                      possession of those who have the
                      courage to defend it.
                      Liberty is being free from the things we don't like in order to be slaves of the things we do like.
                      If you're not ready to die for it, put the word freedom out of your vocabulary.

Comment

sounds interesting but i only got half way through before givin up... sorry

Comment

Basically it tells the story of how an american soldier used to internet to network with other soldiers and discuss ideas, such as lessons, tips learned on exercises etc.

It took two months to track down Lieutenant Colonel Chris Hughes, who by then had been rotated home. He called from his father’s house, in Red Oak, Iowa, en route to study at the Army War College, in Pennsylvania. I wanted to know who had taught him to tame a crowd by pointing his rifle muzzle down and having his men kneel. Were those gestures peculiar to Iraq? To Islam? My questions barely made sense to Hughes. In an unassuming, persistent Iowa tone, he assured me that nobody had prepared him for an angry crowd in an Arab country, much less the tribal complexities of Najaf. Army officers learn in a general way to use a helicopter’s rotor wash to drive away a crowd, he explained. Or they fire warning shots. “Problem with that is, the next thing you have to do is shoot them in the chest.” Hughes had been trying that day to get in touch with Grand Ayatollah Ali al-Sistani, a delicate task that the Army considered politically crucial. American gunfire would have made it impossible. The Iraqis already felt that the Americans were disrespecting their mosque. The obvious solution, to Hughes, was a gesture of respect.

Hughes made it sound obvious, but, shortly before the Americans invaded Iraq, the Army had concluded that its officers lacked the ability to do precisely what he did: innovate and think creatively. In 2000, the new Army Chief of Staff, General Eric Shinseki, was determined to shake up the Army and suspected that about half of a soldier’s training was meaningless and “non-essential.” The job of figuring out which half went to Lieutenant Colonel Leonard Wong (retired), a research professor of military strategy at the Army War College. At forty-five, Wong is handsome and voluble, with the air of a man who makes his living prodding the comfortable. Wong found that the problem was not “bogus” training exercises but worthwhile training being handled in such a way as to stifle fresh thinking. The Army had so loaded training schedules with doctrinaire requirements and standardized procedures that unit commanders had no time—or need—to think for themselves. The service was encouraging “reactive instead of proactive thought, compliance instead of creativity, and adherence instead of audacity,” Wong wrote in his report. As one captain put it to him, “They’re giving me the egg and telling me how to suck it.”
                          If your not in bed by 4 o' clock it's time to go home!

Comment

A tips for on the ground thread would be good, but I'm sure its been done before.
                            It is only by contemplation of the incompetent that we can appreciate the difficulties and accomplishments of the competent.

Comment

Are you proposing to have manuals available to download or just general information?

Comment

Working...
                              X