Training - Health & Safety

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Training - Health & Safety

The Safety, Health and Welfare at Work Act 2005 has now come into effect. It includes the following provision.

Section 6
    "(2) Subject to section 11, the relevant statutory provisions apply to members of the Defence Forces except when they are—

(a) on active service within the meaning of section 5 of the Defence Act 1954 or deemed to be on active service within the meaning of section 4(1) of the Defence (Amendment) (No. 2) Act 1960,
    (b) engaged in action in the course of operational duties at sea,
    (c) engaged in operations in aid to the civil power, or
    (d) engaged in training directly associated with any of the activities specified in paragraph (a) to (c)."

Section 11 relates to fire fighting equipment, first aid, informing employees of risks and protect them, prevent employees undertaking seriously dangerous work. Which doesn't apply to members of the DF when engaged in activities relating to civil emergencies, public order, security or an act of war.

Obviously H&S must be sidelined in operational situations (eg ATCP, war etc) but does this mean that all training for wartime (eg doing a section in attack on camp) and ATCP, along with all duties at sea are except from the Safety, Health and Welfare at Work Act 2005?

Hi there
    I was standing by the door of the Engineering Wing hangar once upon a time, during an Open Day, when I noticed a woman looking around the (tatty old)hangar and shaking her head. When I enquired, she said " I'm from Health and Safety. This place is a kip. It's a good job I'm on my day off." We talked about the subject for a bit but she admitted that the rules didn't apply in the Don and walked off, shaking her head in a bemused and saddened way. Things have improved dramatically by now, thankfully,so maybe she might revisit and be impressed.
    regards
    GttC

Comment

Working...
    X