Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gasplug
    How do you know this?

Think about it, when you're put in with a recruit platoon from your own battalion or company you make mates with that group of people.

If you're put in a platoon thats made up of recruits from all over the country or brigade then you make mates with people from all over the place but when you're sent back to your original units you're not with your mates anymore and you're the outsider all over again.

One of the main reasons I've stayed in the reserve for this long is because I know a good few people whom I went to recruit camp with and we're all good mates, encouraging each other to come down for the craic and so on. If they weren't there I don't know if I'd still be here.
    To close with and kill the enemy in all weather conditions, night and day and over any terrain

Comment

It will probly be brigade level camps not country level
      What are you cackling at, fatty? Too much pie, that's your problem.

Comment

Originally posted by HavocIRL
        One of the main reasons I've stayed in the reserve for this long is because I know a good few people whom I went to recruit camp with and we're all good mates, encouraging each other to come down for the craic and so on. If they weren't there I don't know if I'd still be here.
        Thats a great attitude to have, im all for mates and makin new ones in the rdf and ive made some great friends myself over the years but it is supposed to be the reserve defence forces not some club you go down once a week to for the craic

Comment

Originally posted by lefty
          Thats a great attitude to have, im all for mates and makin new ones in the rdf and ive made some great friends myself over the years but it is supposed to be the reserve defence forces not some club you go down once a week to for the craic

Thats not what I meant and you know it. I simply said thats one of the main reasons I'm still down there, if it wasn't for them I might have gotten tired of all the bullshit and left by now.
          To close with and kill the enemy in all weather conditions, night and day and over any terrain

Comment

With the re-org is each battalion supposed to have a recruiting team or is it still just up to the sub units?

Just wondering cos this is the time of year to start thinking about recruiting in the autumn.

Comment

Recruitment is still a matter for sub-units, unless individual units have made other arrangements.

As I've said MANY times retention is VITAL as opposed to recruitment. That is where the emphasis should be. It takes an huge amount of time, effort, resources and money to get people interested in joining, get them in and clothed. That is excluding doing any training with them. That is one of the reasons I believe there should only be 1-2 intakes of resources per year.

If the current troops are looked after properly and have interesting challenging things to do (and the emphasis is placed on them) then retention will drastically improve. It is cheaper in money & resources then taking on a new bunch of people that will leave in 18 months. In addition, officers and NCOs are not stuck consistantly doing the same training, year-on-year, with recruits, and everyones' morale and espirit de corps improves.

Comment

Unfortunately , to retain people you have to have enough people in the first place. There's always gonna be a drop out, be it people joining the PDF, Guards, or for whatever other reason. Each should be given a high level of importance.

Comment

Of course I am not saying that recruitment is not important, I am saying that it currently gets too much emphasis compared to retention.

Once some units have recruited people have got people in uniform, they tend to forget about them and worry about getting a new batch of recruits in.

Comment

Bump, 3 years on and the problem is worse than ever

IMHO one of the major reasons is why people are treated!

Comment

Originally posted by DeV View Post
                      Bump, 3 years on and the problem is worse than ever

IMHO one of the major reasons is why people are treated!
                      By whom?

Comment

DOD, MA, units etc

Comment

IMO a great positive:

In the next few weeks, my sub-unit will be having weekly PT sessions (30-40 minutes circuit training) as part of the normal parade night!

Comment

Originally posted by DeV View Post
                            IMO a great positive:

In the next few weeks, my sub-unit will be having weekly PT sessions (30-40 minutes circuit training) as part of the normal parade night!
                            Good to hear.

Will you be given use of the gym in CBB? That's if you're 62 Bn although I think you are :confused:

Comment

No, yes

Not based in CBB

Comment

In my sub unit, the CO is using all the assets he has to keep people interested. One of these was to use one of the NCOs to teach unarmed combat and fitness.

The result was even the 3 stars who have been up for years are getting the enthusiasm back.
                                Sir I cant find my peltors........Private they are on your face

Comment

Working...
                                X