Irish Words of Command

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WES
    There is an Irish/English dictionary of military terms going about. Library in the Curragh or any BTC may have one.
    Have one in my hand

Focail Orduithe (Words of command)... dated 1952

It's even older than the Foot drill manual.

Seemingly the was a big change in the way Irish was pronounced and written (incl grammer) in the early 1970s. Henceall the confusion with manuals using phrases that are no longer valid.

Comment

It hasn't changed that much...even the peeps involved in the re org got things like the Irish traslation of 'Cavalry' .

remember the standardisation of the irish word of command only came about to save the army having to pay an allowance.
      Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

While we're on the subject of Irish words of command, what's the command for
        "Remove Hats" ?

The Pln Offr on my Pot NCO Cse was fond of using it when he was involved in our
        training clases.

Am presuming there is also a corresponding "Put Your Hat On" command....
        "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

caipini diobh..and cludaigh!
          Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Originally posted by Truck Driver
            While we're on the subject of Irish words of command, what's the command for
            "Remove Hats" ?
            Di-cludaigh is the only command I've ever heard used for this
            Originally posted by Truck Driver
            Am presuming there is also a corresponding "Put Your Hat On" command....
            Cludaigh

As for the details of how to do it (left hand or right hand), it's usually made up by whoever is giving the command.

Comment

Originally posted by Barry
              Di-cludaigh is the only command I've ever heard used for this

Cludaigh

As for the details of how to do it (left hand or right hand), it's usually made up by whoever is giving the command.
              Hate to say it but i agree with barry.(off to buy something that will get rid of the horrible taste that statement just left behind) I've only ever heard Di cludaigh( capini diobh sounds a bit makey uppey) When i did it it was right hand and hold over the left breast.(MMMMmmm)
              Trouble, Trouble, I tried to chase trouble but its chasing me.
              Trouble, trouble, trouble with a capitol T
              do do do do do do do da do do do. etc etc......

Comment

Just because Barry say it and kermit confirms doesn't make it right.

The fact that the Naval Service master at arms and 2ic of the base used capini diobh..and cludaigh goes to show the diversification in terms.

I'll telling it as I remember it and some others will confirm this to be the case.

Happening I have better things to do with my time rather than invent Iiish words of command!

Comment

Just because the master at arms or 2IC says it doesn't make it correct either. Di cludaigh is what I've read is to be used in funeral drill, so it's not too mad to say that it could be considered official

Comment

Thats where you are wrong baz.
                    The Master at arms words are Gospel.
                    Sorry.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Barry thats really trivial..I never termed it to be correct just pointing out what was used...

How bad 18months in the RDf and he's an expert

Comment

Quit your bitchin' guys, think i've heard both at some stage over the last number of years. think it depends on which manual or version of it the instructor had. Outside of training depots the current manual(even if its 30 or 40 years old)can be like hens teeth.
                        Last edited by spike; 26 June 2006, 00:15.
                        It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you have.

Comment

Thank your for that interesting to hear wht the older guys have to say

Comment

Originally posted by spike
                            Quit your bitchin' guys, think i've heard both at some stage over the last number of years. think it depends on which manual or version of it the instructor had. Outside of training depots the current manual(even if its 30 or 40 years old)can be like hens teeth.
                            I'm pretty sure it's not in the manual, and this is where the confusion arises.

Comment

[
                              point taken, like i said i've heard both but can't for the life of me remember which one i've seen written
                              It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you have.

Comment

Working...
                              X