No announcement yet.

Royal Marines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I presume that people are looking for more a challenge in oversea's trips than our own peacekeeping trips where boredom is the biggest threat. Also, the BAF has some nifty equipment, the Irish DF does not have anything near that. Maybe people want to be in a more 'conventional' army...

I just don't think I could serve a foreign power. But hey that's just me, I'm still a teenager so I'll probably change my mind soon...

Comment

for me it's a sense of adventure and something I've always wanted. Hopefully I'll be an officer in Royal Irish eventually. long way to go tho, takes so long even to get to Sandhurst, there is a HELL of a waiting list. the Colonel that interviewed me said he sent 18 lads from the south to Sandhurst this year so far. Not bad.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin. B View Post
        I presume that people are looking for more a challenge in oversea's trips than our own peacekeeping trips where boredom is the biggest threat. Also, the BAF has some nifty equipment, the Irish DF does not have anything near that. Maybe people want to be in a more 'conventional' army...

I just don't think I could serve a foreign power. But hey that's just me, I'm still a teenager so I'll probably change my mind soon...
        Well I wanted to serve here, but in the end I was dicked around with by someone in the NS..so that was the end for me
        Dr. Venture: Why is it every time I need to get somewhere, we get waylaid by jackassery?

Dr. Venture: Dean, you smell like a whore

Comment

Boredom is the biggest challenge in any deployment, including Afghan or Iraq.

Once again people are trotting out the sheep line about the army not really being warlike etc.

They probably defected because A - they want to move into a career path that is oversubscribed or unavailable or because they want to experience things on a bigger scale.

Fact: The British Forces do offer a lot of opportunities at a fairly hefty price.

Fact: The PDF is a proper army unfortunately clouded in ill informed myths propagated by idiots who go to their local pub or the internet and spoof on about what they think the PDF can't do.
          You can still have a long and varied and life threatening career in the PDF...you just can't expect to go on Brigade advance o contact exercises in Canada.

You can on the other hand have something a lot closer to a normal life...hence the appeal for the few brits that have come the other way, or the hundreds that seek to move ot Australia.
          "It is a general popular error to imagine that loudest complainers for the public to be the most anxious for it's welfare" Edmund Burke

Comment

Originally posted by mutter nutter View Post
            I was dicked around in the end by someone in the NS..
            Isn't that the sort of thing you'd expect in the navy?
            "It is a general popular error to imagine that loudest complainers for the public to be the most anxious for it's welfare" Edmund Burke

Comment

still have PRMC to do, 3 day's of fun
              3 days of hell more like. I did it about 10 years ago there was a Dub and a Donegal lad there too.

Comment

Your a teenager - who has never done the following

1- Being in the Army

2- Being overseas

3- being given a detailed brief on all the "gucchi" equipment we have

yet astoundingly - you know for a fact that

1- there is no challenge in the Irish Defence Forces

2- Know that bordedom overseas is a problem

3-KNow that the gerry fitts have more interesting equipment than we do

You dont happen to know the lotto numbers fro this wedensday do you
                Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
                Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
                The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
                The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
                The best lack all conviction, while the worst
                Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

Originally posted by FMolloy View Post
                  I've heard of several recent 'defections' from a couple of PDF battalions to the Royal Marines and BA.
                  I knew a lad from the 8th Infantry, he`s now in the paras .

Comment

Originally posted by hedgehog View Post
                    gerry fitts
                    Thats a new one HH

Comment

Originally posted by rod and serpent View Post
                      I knew a lad from the 8th Infantry, he`s now in the paras .
                      Boo hisss......
                      Dr. Venture: Why is it every time I need to get somewhere, we get waylaid by jackassery?

Comment

Boo hisss......

He transferred from 1 Royal Irish a few years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by rod and serpent View Post
                          He transferred from 1 Royal Irish a few years ago.
                          No you misunderstood me R/S I'm just getting in my Royals anti-Para training early

down with that sort of thing, :wink:

Comment

No you misunderstood me R/S I'm just getting in my Royals anti-Para training early

down with that sort of thing, :wink:
                            Hahahahahahaa .

Comment

I was told by 2 Irish lads serving in the RM (Iraq), that they joined up because there was to long a waiting list for to join the Irish army.
                              Óglaigh na hÉireann

Comment

Your a teenager - who has never done the following
                                1- Being in the Army
                                2- Being overseas
                                3- being given a detailed brief on all the "gucchi" equipment we have
                                You are posting on a board populated in the main by reservists who probably haven't done any of those three things either, and it doesn't seem to have stopped you engaging in discussions before now. If he has said something you disagree with, then rebut it. Play the ball, not the player.
                                "Why, it appears that we appointed all of our worst generals to command the armies and we appointed all of our best generals to edit the newspapers. I mean, I found by reading a newspaper that these editor generals saw all of the defects plainly from the start but didn't tell me until it was too late. I'm willing to yield my place to these best generals and I'll do my best for the cause by editing a newspaper"
                                Gen. Robert E. Lee

Comment

Working...
                                X