Royal Marines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rod and serpent View Post
    I knew a lad from the 8th Infantry, he`s now in the paras .
    AFAIK an Army cadet who was sent to Sandhurst was poached by the BA and is now a para officer.
    "The dolphins were monkeys that didn't like the land, walked back to the water, went back from the sand."

Comment

AFAIK an Army cadet who was sent to Sandhurst was poached by the BA and is now a para officer.
      IIRC he won the Sword of Honour (Best Cadet) in Sandhurst.
      "Why, it appears that we appointed all of our worst generals to command the armies and we appointed all of our best generals to edit the newspapers. I mean, I found by reading a newspaper that these editor generals saw all of the defects plainly from the start but didn't tell me until it was too late. I'm willing to yield my place to these best generals and I'll do my best for the cause by editing a newspaper"
      Gen. Robert E. Lee

Comment

Not sure on the present figures, but in 2005 there were 335 Irish personnel in the British Armed Forces.

What branches of service the 335 were spread over is anyones guess.

Comment

Originally posted by FMolloy View Post

Another one joined the Royal Welch Fusiliers a few years ago, too

Comment

The Welsh!!
            Dr. Venture: Why is it every time I need to get somewhere, we get waylaid by jackassery?

Dr. Venture: Dean, you smell like a whore

Comment

You're spot on there. He even did a tour to Lebanon as a 2/Lt which is fairly unique. he was bumped up to Lt for the trip. I know all this because I was there with him.
              The worst sin toward our fellow creatures is not to hate them, but to be indifferent to them: that's the essence of inhumanity.
              (George Bernard Shaw, Playwright, 1856 - 1950)

Comment

How the hell did he end up in the British Army then?

Comment

Originally posted by lefty View Post
                  How the hell did he end up in the British Army then?
                  They poached him. They got in touch & gave him the spiel, he liked it & duly jumped ship.
                  "The dolphins were monkeys that didn't like the land, walked back to the water, went back from the sand."

Comment

Promotion Prospects in the BA are a lot better for an officer after captain. Unlike here. Anyone met a 30 year old company commander recently?

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Originally posted by WES View Post
                      I know all this because I was there with him.
                      Just to clarify that statement. I was in Lebanon with him not Sandhurst.
                      Last edited by WES; 5 December 2007, 21:31.
                      The worst sin toward our fellow creatures is not to hate them, but to be indifferent to them: that's the essence of inhumanity.

Comment

They poached him. They got in touch & gave him the spiel, he liked it & duly jumped ship.
                        I heard it differently from an officer in my old unit who knows him but that's only hearsay I suppose. Anyway what does it matter, he got what he wanted.

Comment

Originally posted by WES View Post
                          I heard it differently from an officer in my old unit who knows him but that's only hearsay I suppose. Anyway what does it matter, he got what he wanted.
                          Either or both of us could be right & either or both of us could be wrong, the only one who knows why he left is the man himself & he's not on the board!

Comment

Without beating this to death, when he was commissioned in Sandhurst he wore the British Army uniform. A fact about which there were a lot of mutterings and mumblings.
                            Last edited by WES; 6 December 2007, 00:11.

Comment

I reckon the Unifil medal would be fairly unique on a British army uniform.

Nice trend to have been comissioned twice into two different armies although not unique for the DF as there were a couple of naval officers in the past who had been RN at some stage.
                              Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Hi pmtts,
                                How many of those are from the South?
                                regards
                                GttC

Comment

Working...
                                X