Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RoyalGreenJacket View Post
    never seen those ones Sofa.
    I see them now and then. never fails to bring a smile to my face.

Comment

Originally posted by sofa View Post
      in all fairness, the soldiers at horse guards alternate between doing ceremonial and operational duties. I always found the calibre of soldiers in the Guards regiments to be well above that in the rest of the British army.

Comment

you got a pic for us?

Originally posted by paul g View Post
        in all fairness, the soldiers at horse guards alternate between doing ceremonial and operational duties. I always found the calibre of soldiers in the Guards regiments to be well above that in the rest of the British army.
        define calibre? they are subject to the same entrance tests as every other soldier and graded accordingly - there are no special criteria for Guardsmen.

however the Guards are a great bunch of soldiers - steeped in tradition and they do what they do brilliantly. they have performed no better or worse than most other regiments in combat but are still good squaddies.
        Last edited by RoyalGreenJacket; 26 May 2010, 11:18.
        RGJ

...Once a Rifleman - Always a Rifleman... Celer et Audax

The Rifles

Comment

you got a pic for us?

Auf YouTube findest du die angesagtesten Videos und Tracks. Außerdem kannst du eigene Inhalte hochladen und mit Freunden oder gleich der ganzen Welt teilen.

define calibre? they are subject to the same entrance tests as every other soldier and graded accordingly - there are no special criteria for Guardsmen.

however the Guards are a great bunch of soldiers - steeped in tradition and they do what they do brilliantly. they have performed no better or worse than most other regiments in combat but are still good squaddies.

aa

Comment

...Lads it like this If ye want to look like every other Army in the World do what the Yanks did,and the Irish did and the pretty much everybody else in the World did and that is to have a standard "uniform for everything! ...sad but true (could you tell who was who at a distance ? ...(say what ye want but you could with the british ! People must understand that the Regimental system in the British Army is dead! apart from the Guards /Para/ and some Cav its gone with the advent of Super Regiments . The pride that was once learning their particular traditions and customs are long gone to be replaced by a sub-standard culture of general Army history.These super Regiments wear the same uniform (which of course in one of the reasons why this happend as it cost less money to buy the same uniform for 6 Bns as it would have done for 6 seperate Regiment each with its own seperate uniform with its traditions of dress gained over hundreds of years service ) Of course now these Bns can be changed and moved and even disbanded accordingly with little fuss or bother . However what must be considered here is that alot of the Worlds military uniforms are based on British designs even those that had no conection to GB. in my opinion the uniforms within the British army now are a pale reflection of their past, ..................is it worth the money ??????? well as the saying goes there are some things that you cant put a price on ....but its a pity that that they didnt tell that to the stupid idiots who destroyed the Regimental system
            Q S

Comment

i was actually taking in what you said but stopped reading when i got to this:

Originally posted by the drummie View Post
              People must understand that the Regimental system in the British Army is dead! apart from the Guards /Para/ and some Cav its gone with the advent of Super Regiments.
              you really haven't a scoobie - just because it is non existent in the Irish DF or the US Army.

i'm from one of those 'Super Regiments' you mention - the Rifles is the biggest Regiment in the British Army and it is engulfed with tradition which every Rifleman is proud to embrace.

every Regiment in the British Army has it's own spin on EVERY uniform - no 2 regiments are the same and it's great. every regiment has it's own quirks and traditions and ways of doing things and that's cool - that's what makes us better than them and it makes them better than us.

do i want to be in any old regiment with nothing to identify them but a number?

No Thanks!

our Regimental System is the envy of many the world over - yes it's old but yes it's fantastic.

how many tourists come to Dublin to watch soldiers performing public duties?

ANY soldier with real military blood in him appreciates the likes of things like Trooping the Colour - even me as a no bullshit Red Coat hating Green Jacket appreciates it.

how much tradition and history have you kept in your battalions? hardly any - unfortunately.

what we have is something to be proud of - very proud.
              Last edited by RoyalGreenJacket; 27 May 2010, 22:09.
              RGJ

The Rifles

Comment

Israilies don't go in for it . and they are the gold standard.

Comment

The gold standard for what? I honestly don't rate them as the gold standard for anything other than hot chicks in uniform.
                  There may be only one time in your life when your country will call upon you and you will be the only one who can do the nasty job that has to be done -- do it or forever after there will be the taste of ashes in your mouth.

Comment

i didn't say tradition and different uniforms makes better soldiers - i said it is a fantastic thing kept alive in ALL of our Regiments - contrary to drummies belief.
                    RGJ

The Rifles

Comment

i didn't say tradition and different uniforms makes better soldiers - i said it is a fantastic thing kept alive in ALL of our Regiments - contrary to drummies belief.
                      I do agree it is one way of "gelling "a group of men together.

Comment

I do agree it is one way of "gelling "a group of men together.
                        agreed, big time.
                        RGJ

The Rifles

Comment

Symbolism of the ethos of the unit.

Look at the RM - It's all about a Green Beret and the cap badge, but behind that is the ethos
                          "The Question is not: how far you will take this? The Question is do you possess the constitution to go as far as is needed?"

Comment

Originally posted by ARNGScout View Post
                            The gold standard for what? I honestly don't rate them as the gold standard for anything other than hot chicks in uniform.
                            The fact that such a small democracy is still standing in that part of the world would

suggest that there IDF is exceptional,

Comment

The fact that such a small democracy is still standing in that part of the world would suggest that there IDF is exceptional,
                              Not really, exceptional in the middle-east possibly but as a senior Israeli officer once said, "It's easy to win wars, just fight Arabs!"

In all seriousness though, there is or at least was, a great deal of truth in this. With the notable exception of the Jordanian Arab Legion (can anyone guess why?) the remainder of the Arab world's armed forces were pretty poor frankly. They had no real military tradition and suffered from widespread political interference, promotion via nepotism and low standards, all topped off with a heavy Soviet influence in their equipment and tactics. On the one occasion when the Israelis almost came undone, the Yom Kippur War, it was because they'd allowed themselves to become complacent and thought they were still facing a third-rate army when in fact it was now second-rate.

Comment

How exceptional do you think the Israelis would be if they didn't have the total backing of the Americans? They came very close to defeat in '73 and '67 and were forced to acknowledge the remarkable leap in quality of their Arab enemies, particularly the Egyptians. The Israelis make mistakes too.

With regard to British military skill, they succeed because they train continuously and fight frequently enough so that they get to practise what they train for. To use William L. Shirer's phrase about the Wehrmacht of 1939, "they are relentlessly professional", ie, they train as if for the real thing and do their level best to correct mistakes before the real bullets start flying. Which makes the British Army/RAF/RN a world-class military, from which any other military could learn.

regards
                                GttC
                                Last edited by GoneToTheCanner; 29 May 2010, 00:52.

Comment

Working...
                                X