Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

British Sniper kills 5 in 28 seconds.

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by Oriel View Post
    Dont believe the press. Dont even believe the offical sources remember the Jessica Lynch bullshit the US Army came out with only she told the truth.
    so Oriel, you reckon this may not have happened - even though it is being reported on our own classified systems at work?

    i only posted the link from the Sun as it was the easiest to find but it is being well reported by a lot of the other more credible media now too.

    the lad killed 5 Taliban at a great distance in good time.

    good drills.
    RGJ

    ...Once a Rifleman - Always a Rifleman... Celer et Audax

    The Rifles

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by RoyalGreenJacket View Post
      so Oriel, you reckon this may not have happened - even though it is being reported on our own classified systems at work?

      i only posted the link from the Sun as it was the easiest to find but it is being well reported by a lot of the other more credible media now too.

      the lad killed 5 Taliban at a great distance in good time.

      good drills.


      We wont beleive it unless you show us your classified system along with your passwords


      go ahead comrade you can trust us
      Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
      Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
      The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
      The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
      The best lack all conviction, while the worst
      Are full of passionate intensity.

      Comment


      • #18
        The best sniper in the Rhodesian Army was a great Briton, ex Royal Marine Clive Mason- he was very effective in Vila Salazar/Malvernia. He arrived in Rhodesia after leaving the UK and serving in Vietnam with the Australian SAS. He then joined the Rhodesian SAS and transferred to the Selous Scouts. Below are details of the auction of his medals which raised only £1,400.

        He himself was killed with a bullet between his eyes and it was thought that the Russians in "Little Russia/F**k City" had brought in a sniper from Russia just to deal with him.




        http://www.dnw.co.uk/medals/auctiona...o?itemid=12415



        http://www.newrhodesian.net/viewtopi...&t=238&start=0

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by hedgehog View Post
          How does he know it was 28 seconds

          he hardly said to his spotter- start the stopwacth bang bang stop
          hedge, they probably timed it from when he got permission to engage until he radio'd back - "Targets Neutralised".
          RGJ

          ...Once a Rifleman - Always a Rifleman... Celer et Audax

          The Rifles

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by timhorgan View Post
            The best sniper in the Rhodesian Army was a great Briton, ex Royal Marine Clive Mason- he was very effective in Vila Salazar/Malvernia. He arrived in Rhodesia after leaving the UK and serving in Vietnam with the Australian SAS. He then joined the Rhodesian SAS and transferred to the Selous Scouts. Below are details of the auction of his medals which raised only £1,400.

            He himself was killed with a bullet between his eyes and it was thought that the Russians in "Little Russia/F**k City" had brought in a sniper from Russia just to deal with him.




            http://www.dnw.co.uk/medals/auctiona...o?itemid=12415



            http://www.newrhodesian.net/viewtopi...&t=238&start=0
            How strange, a post by "rhodtpr" on the Forum you link to would seem to contradict your statement:
            Unfortunately, the Selous Scouts lost a very good soldier (and the Rhodesian Army one of their finest professionally trained snipers) during a "jitter campaign" Mar. 15, 1977 at Malvernia/Vila Salazar.

            Sgt. Clive Mason using a Lee Enfield Mk 4 (sniping version) stood up on his feet and accounted for 6 Frelimo soldiers during a firefight and was then struck in the head by enemy fire dying instantly.
            Connaught Stranger.

            Comment


            • #21
              CS - i'm glad i wasn't the only one who noticed that.

              anyhow, i think in fairness - the standard of weaponry and optics has improved massively recently to allow modern snipers perform so devastatingly well.
              RoyalGreenJacket
              Commander in Chief
              Last edited by RoyalGreenJacket; 7 May 2010, 17:16.
              RGJ

              ...Once a Rifleman - Always a Rifleman... Celer et Audax

              The Rifles

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by RoyalGreenJacket View Post
                CS - i'm glad i wasn't the only one who noticed that!

                anyhow, i think in fairness - the standard of weaponry and optics has improved massively recently to allow modern snipers perform so devastatingly well.
                watching shows like future weapons only shows where its going too. they showed one rifle on that (possibly the intervention) that made it just look so bloody simple.
                If the lads in Iraq/Afghanistan got that, the Taliban would barely know whats going on they'll be able to shoot from so far away.
                Are all British snipers using the L115A3? Or are different teams allocated different weapons?
                I knew a simple soldier boy.....
                Who grinned at life in empty joy,
                Slept soundly through the lonesome dark,
                And whistled early with the lark.

                In winter trenches, cowed and glum,
                With crumps and lice and lack of rum,
                He put a bullet through his brain.
                And no one spoke of him again.

                You smug-faced crowds with kindling eye
                Who cheer when soldier lads march by,
                Sneak home and pray you'll never know
                The hell where youth and laughter go.

                Comment


                • #23
                  Ok i put a little though into this-

                  this lad claimed to engage 5 targets at over a mile away, with a bolt action rifle, wtih a 5 round magazine, in the process he fired 13 rounds- this would entail changing the mag on his weapon twice, and adjusting for fall of shot 13 times and all this in 28 secs-

                  It becomes more difficult for me to swallow.....
                  But there's no danger
                  It's a professional career
                  Though it could be arranged
                  With just a word in Mr. Churchill's ear
                  If you're out of luck you're out of work
                  We could send you to johannesburg.

                  (Elvis Costello, Olivers Army)

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Well, did they find five corpses? So what if it wasn't exactly 28 seconds? It was a hell of a shot.
                    regards
                    GttC

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by GoneToTheCanner View Post
                      Well, did they find five corpses? So what if it wasn't exactly 28 seconds? It was a hell of a shot.
                      regards
                      GttC
                      Where are you getting that from- the article says nothing about retrieving bodies,

                      Also why was this lad on a four month tour?
                      But there's no danger
                      It's a professional career
                      Though it could be arranged
                      With just a word in Mr. Churchill's ear
                      If you're out of luck you're out of work
                      We could send you to johannesburg.

                      (Elvis Costello, Olivers Army)

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Quite simply, did they actually confirm by eyeball or UAV or any other means that he had got five confirmed kills? he could have been on a short tour as a filler for a casualty.
                        regards
                        GttC

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by Connaught Stranger View Post
                          How strange, a post by "rhodtpr" on the Forum you link to would seem to contradict your statement:


                          Connaught Stranger.
                          CS, Sorry for the delay-just catching up with things. Although Clive Mason was shot in a firefight it was actually thought at the time by some that he had been specifically targeted by a sniper as he had been killed by a single shot between the eyes. Before being killed he had inflicted considerable damage over a long period and serious consideration was given to the possibility of a trained sniper having been brought in on the other side.

                          Given your interest in medals you will of course know much more about this subject but I have always been astounded at 2 facts. 1: A lot of widows seem to end up in straitened circumstances and are forced to sell the medals at knock-down prices, no doubt to help look after the children.
                          2:The medals themselves do not raise any significant amount ( apart from VC's etc).

                          I cannot remember where now but I recall reading a posting in the past on some Rhodesian site from a young girl who was Clive Mason's grand- daughter looking for information about him. It is a great shame that the medals could not be retained in the family.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by timhorgan View Post
                            CS, Sorry for the delay-just catching up with things. Although Clive Mason was shot in a firefight it was actually thought at the time by some that he had been specifically targeted by a sniper as he had been killed by a single shot between the eyes. Before being killed he had inflicted considerable damage over a long period and serious consideration was given to the possibility of a trained sniper having been brought in on the other side.

                            Given your interest in medals you will of course know much more about this subject but I have always been astounded at 2 facts. 1: A lot of widows seem to end up in straitened circumstances and are forced to sell the medals at knock-down prices, no doubt to help look after the children.
                            2:The medals themselves do not raise any significant amount ( apart from VC's etc).

                            I cannot remember where now but I recall reading a posting in the past on some Rhodesian site from a young girl who was Clive Mason's grand- daughter looking for information about him. It is a great shame that the medals could not be retained in the family.
                            Tim, going slightly off topic here, he was in a fire fight and standing up in the open shooting at the opposition with a bolt-action rifle, no matter how good he was, the odds were against him particularly when the opposition is using automatic weapons such as Kalashnikov with 30 round mags as opposed to his 10 round magazine, it is not strange during a firefight to expect him to get hit in the head or the fact that he got hit between the eyes, any thing else is pure speculation.

                            going slightly off topic here:-

                            As for the price raised on the medals, it depends on

                            a, where they were being auctioned.

                            b, specific interest in the owner and his military history,

                            c, "If" he had ever won a high decoration such as a "V.C." etc..etc
                            it would no doubt add more to the value.

                            d. the economic climate at the time of the auction.

                            e, Soldiers / veterans and their familys live in the real world where money is required for home or health matters, so invariably they sell off items, such is the history of many old soldiers and their medals world-wide down through the last 200 years.

                            Connaught Stranger

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by turbocalves View Post
                              Ok i put a little though into this-

                              this lad claimed to engage 5 targets at over a mile away, with a bolt action rifle, wtih a 5 round magazine, in the process he fired 13 rounds- this would entail changing the mag on his weapon twice, and adjusting for fall of shot 13 times and all this in 28 secs-

                              It becomes more difficult for me to swallow.....
                              I read a more informed and less hysterical account of this incident in one of the broadsheets. The guy stated that having seen the enemy and being aware that they were technically out of his effective range he decided to have a go anyway. It took him five rounds to get on target and drop the first one, after that he dropped the remainder in rapid succession. This was widely reported throughout the British army and is undoubtedly true, whether you believe it or not, the Brits don't really go in for blatant lies about stuff like this. Anyway, if it was all bullsh*t his mates would never let him live it down!

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Originally posted by jaeger View Post
                                This was widely reported throughout the British army and is undoubtedly true, whether you believe it or not, the Brits don't really go in for blatant lies about stuff like this. Anyway, if it was all bullsh*t his mates would never let him live it down!
                                you are not wrong there!

                                he would be ripped a new ARRSEhole and this hasn't happened.

                                i've seen a report on this and all seems true and accurate from a couple of different sources during the killings.

                                good rifle, good shooting, good sniper.
                                RGJ

                                ...Once a Rifleman - Always a Rifleman... Celer et Audax

                                The Rifles

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X