BA EOD Colonel resigns.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BA EOD Colonel resigns.

A few weeks ago in a thread about BA training and equipment I mentioned (disputed by some who should know better on this board) that there were problems with training,kit and resources and that this view was shared by many in the BA. I then mentioned that we could expect further resignations and this is now happening. Col. Seddon will not be the last to resign this Summer. I would not be at all surprised to see at least 1 very senior Infantry resignation.

BBC1 Panorama is running a programme this evening on the subject.

Colonel Bob Seddon, Britain’s senior bomb disposal officer, has resigned his post after raising concerns for the welfare of his men.

Under the circumstances it might be good for this board if we could debate these matters in a positive manner. For instance, it might seem far-fetched now but I would not discount completely the possibility of the Irish Army taking on bomb-disposal duties eventually in NI, even if only on an emergency basis, in the same spirit of the Dublin Fire Brigade going North during WW2.

Tim Horgan
    Last edited by timhorgan; 25 May 2010, 16:05.

Originally posted by timhorgan View Post
    it might seem far-fetched now but I would not discount completely the possibility of the Irish Army taking on bomb-disposal duties eventually in NI, even if only on an emergency basis...

Tim Horgan
    why would the Irish DF ever take on any EOD duties in the UK?

or do you mean if / when the time comes and NI becomes part of the Republic?

we have far more experience, a much higher budget, better ECM and are hardly run off our feet in Northern Ireland nowadays.

haven't your lads got enough pipe bombs in Dublin and Limerick to be cracking on with?

i'd like to be positive about it but yes - it is far fetched.
    RGJ

...Once a Rifleman - Always a Rifleman... Celer et Audax

The Rifles

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalGreenJacket View Post
      why would the Irish DF ever take on any EOD duties in the UK?

or do you mean if / when the time comes and NI becomes part of the Republic?

we have far more experience, a much higher budget, better ECM and are hardly run off our feet in Northern Ireland nowadays.

haven't your lads got enough pipe bombs in Dublin and Limerick to be cracking on with?

i'd like to be positive about it but yes - it is far fetched.
      I know its not EOD, but Dev (not the mod) sent fire fighters to belfast during the 'Emergency'. So it may be 'far fetched' but not unprecedented, in terms of cross border co-op
      But there's no danger
      It's a professional career
      Though it could be arranged
      With just a word in Mr. Churchill's ear
      If you're out of luck you're out of work
      We could send you to johannesburg.

(Elvis Costello, Olivers Army)

Comment

we are hardly run off our feet in Northern Ireland nowadays.
        You may not be, but the PSNI are....
        But there's no danger

Comment

Originally posted by timhorgan View Post
          Under the circumstances it might be good for this board if we could debate these matters in a positive manner. For instance, it might seem far-fetched now but I would not discount completely the possibility of the Irish Army taking on bomb-disposal duties eventually in NI, even if only on an emergency basis, in the same spirit of the Dublin Fire Brigade going North during WW2.
          I can't see a day when another countries army requests that the army of another country comes in and does part of its job for it.

Comment

Originally posted by turbocalves View Post

Turbocalves,
            I missed the Panorama programme last night and have just caught up with it this morning-it makes sad viewing.

Panorama reveals how the Army is failing in its duty of care to soldiers in Afghanistan.

Comment

no they aren't - what's happening now is a drop in the ocean compared to the levels of intensity experienced by the police in Northern Ireland in the days pre-ceasefire.

i was in Northern Ireland all weekend and didn't get stopped by one VCP and there were none of the usual post incident cordons - things have changed massively.

whilst the dissident terrorist organisations are still active - the police are far from run off their feet and i can't see a day when Irish DF bomb disposal assets are ever required in Northern Ireland whilst still under British rule.

on the topic of Col Seddon, i do think he should have kicked up more of a fuss with the old government and then seen if the new government was prepared to do more, but fair play to him if - i'm sure he has an excellent job lined up somewhere in Civ Div.
              Last edited by RoyalGreenJacket; 25 May 2010, 14:14.
              RGJ

The Rifles

Comment

Originally posted by DeV View Post
                I can't see a day when another countries army requests that the army of another country comes in and does part of its job for it.
                If we were invaded I'm pretty sure the govt. would call on the TA before the RDF

Comment

RoyalGreenJacket;302717
                  on the topic of Col Seddon...... but fair play to him if - i'm sure he has an excellent job lined up somewhere in Civ Div.
                  That quote tells me a lot about morale in the BA - much in line with the tone of the programme last night. As you know, RGJ, other officers are going quietly. Col. Seddon is newsworthy because of Panorama but Col. Tootal said exactly the same.

Comment

Maybe not run off their feet, but 321 are certainly not sitting about that often. Sadly the shout of " Fetch Felix " will continue for sometime to come.

Comment

Originally posted by pmtts View Post
                      Maybe not run off their feet, but 321 are certainly not sitting about that often. Sadly the shout of " Fetch Felix " will continue for sometime to come.
                      yeah fair one pal, that's another example of how Northern Ireland has always been a great place to hone and maintain your skills and drills.
                      RGJ

The Rifles

Comment

yeah fair one pal, that's another example of how Northern Ireland has always been a great place to hone and maintain your skills and drills.
                        sniping or bomb making ?

Comment

Originally posted by sofa View Post
                          sniping or bomb making ?
                          both - if you are a terrorist.
                          RGJ

The Rifles

Comment

no they aren't - what's happening now is a drop in the ocean compared to the levels of intensity experienced by the police in Northern Ireland in the days pre-ceasefire.
                            My Info comes from a serving Garda who has cause to deal with the PSNI on a regular basis- He says they are under terrible strain then I will take his word for it.

Now to caveat this he said the reason they are under such strain is the dont have the support that they used to have from your lads. That said all I'm not pretending were back in the '70's but to suggest that all in rosy in the garden is folly.
                            But there's no danger

Comment

My Info comes from a serving Garda who has cause to deal with the PSNI on a regular basis- He says they are under terrible strain then I will take his word for it.

Now to caveat this he said the reason they are under such strain is the dont have the support that they used to have from your lads.
                              granted, we gave them a much bigger footprint on patrol - for every 1 RUC policeman there were 13 soldiers (1 x Multiple - 3 x 4 man teams plus the Boss) on foot patrol and another 8 soldiers providing mobile support.

perhaps covertly the police are busier, but certainly not overtly.

in keeping on topic - i actually think it was pretty jack for Col Seddon to leave his men.

2 of my mates at work have just applied to become ATO's - not my cup of tea at all but fair play to them.
                              Last edited by RoyalGreenJacket; 26 May 2010, 22:53.
                              RGJ

The Rifles

Comment

Working...
                              X