Cambrian Patrol 2010

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cambrian Patrol 2010

Exercise CAMBRIAN PATROL is the premier patrolling event of the British Army which is held in Wales and hosted by 160 (W) Brigade.

For 2010 it will run from 8 October until 17 October.

The exercise is held in Wales and is organised by HQ 160 (W) Brigade on behalf of HQ 5 Div, as directed by HQ Land in the Land Command Plan. Cambrian Patrol is arduous and concentrates on leadership, teamwork, physical fitness and achieving the mission. It also draws participants from foreign countries. The Cambrian Patrol is an exercise and not a competition. It is conducted for the benefit of units and there is no final order of merit. The exercise is designed to be within the capability of any well-led and well-trained patrol from any Arm or Service. The exercise is the same for Regular and Reserve Forces patrols.

Aim

The aim of The Cambrian Patrol is to provide a challenging patrols exercise in order to develop operational capability.
    Applications

Units should apply using the application form which can be found in the Documents download panel on the right. Copies of the application should also be sent to the unit’s Brigade or Divisional HQ. Units are welcome to bid to enter several teams, however, last minute withdrawals due to a failure to anticipate commitments or train adequately are extremely unwelcome and may prevent other units from participating.

Bids are to show preference for dates/phases. The closing date for bids will be 3 September 2010 and details confirming unit acceptance, timings, comprehensive rules and preliminary joining instructions will be issued after this date. Receipts of all bids will be acknowledged. The organisers' decision on allocation will be final. Reserve Forces units are to note that they must be prepared to report between 0400 hrs (earliest) and 1030 hrs (latest) on Friday 8 October 2010 or Friday 15 October 2010. Units must adhere to these timings. Exact timings for each unit will be contained in the warning order which will be issued nearer the date of deployment.

An entry fee of £50 per patrol made payable to 'HQ 160 (W) Bde Central Bank' should be enclosed with the application and is not refundable after the bid is accepted in August. Forms received without an entry fee will be returned. The entry fee for foreign teams is also £50, payable by UK cheque or by cash on arrival. (A contribution from these funds will be donated to the Army Benevolent Fund if any monies are left over once all exercise expenses have been paid).
    Foreign units are encouraged to enter teams on The Cambrian Patrol. There is a requirement for these teams to be hosted by British units. Wherever possible allied and affiliated units should be used. However, there may be a requirement for units on the same phase as foreign teams to assist with hosting if the above arrangement cannot be met.

Cambrian Patrol can be contacted on:

160 (W) Brigade
    Brecon,
    Powys,
    LD3 7EA

Tel: 01874 613280
    Mil: 94351 2280
    Email: brian.pratt683@mod.uk

i did this in 1990 Rod, we earned a Silver and would have earned a Gold but one of our team suffered a 'No Duff' casualty with a broken nose.

it's a proper lick out!
    RGJ

...Once a Rifleman - Always a Rifleman... Celer et Audax

The Rifles

Comment

Broken nose! Pfffft!

Whats involved on the ex?
      "The Question is not: how far you will take this? The Question is do you possess the constitution to go as far as is needed?"

Comment

Originally posted by ZULU View Post
        Broken nose! Pfffft!

Whats involved on the ex?
        in all fairness he did fall down the side of a cliff and firing his weapon with a broken nose wouldn't have been a good experience.

when we did the Cambrian Patrol, it was a 'Behind Enemy Lines' type scenario.

we received our orders from our patrol commander (this was scored) and then our kit was checked - we had a strict packing list which was inspected at the start of our patrol and all of our kit was weighed. points would be lost if items were not present.

we were then dropped off by Puma - not at the agreed drop off. during the low level flight the pilot told the patrol commander that the LZ was now occupied by the enemy so we got dropped off somewhere the pilot wouldn't tell us! so we had to work out where we were first and then set off on task.

we had to liaise with an 'agent' who presented us with further objectives. this included a close target recce followed by live artillery fire mission on the target.

we then had to meet an other agent where we had to construct a raft and sneak across a lake to engage a target on the other side - this was fun.

we also had to assault some buildings to extract important documents.

after the extraction we did a snap ambush (which was triggered) and then we were to meet another agent at an RV but the RV was compromised which lead to us having to defend it and the agent inside.

there were a hell of a lot of different tasks to complete but it's the endless tabbing that i will never forget. we covered something like 110 miles in 4 days (3nights) with full kit.

the event ended with a live fire trench shoot followed by an extraction by heli.

when we finished our kit was again inspected (and points deducted if items not present on the first inspection had been ditched along the way) and weighed.

it was an arduous event - mostly hours of tabbing broken by some excellent stands and other than the usual safety involved in changing from blank to live etc it really felt as if you were behind enemy lines.

it was a real test of stamina, navigation and military skills and i would recommend it to any unit who can get a decent team together.

once in a lifetime is enough though, so i won't be doing it again!
        RGJ

...Once a Rifleman - Always a Rifleman... Celer et Audax

The Rifles

Comment

Sounds like real-life Medal of Honour and the fact that foreign teams can participate is interesting. Pity some proactive serving soldier wouldn't bring it to the attention of the brass. Good one.
          The worst sin toward our fellow creatures is not to hate them, but to be indifferent to them: that's the essence of inhumanity.
          (George Bernard Shaw, Playwright, 1856 - 1950)

Comment

Go on Zulu, you know you want to propose a team
            "Attack your attic with a Steyr....as seen on the Late Late Show..."

Comment

Originally posted by concussion View Post
              I thought that too

Like NYC and Paddies day, if you could get a team of reservists to do it, they'd have to pay for it themselves more than likely.

Comment

Fancy a go?

Sounds like a cracking way to spend a couple of days.

Be great if the DF organised something like this. Covers almost all the basics and then some, brilliant goal to train for.
                "The Question is not: how far you will take this? The Question is do you possess the constitution to go as far as is needed?"

Comment

Canada, Germany, France, Morocco, New Zealand, Pakistan, United States, Netherlands.

Definitive exercise to test yourself and your team against the world

Comment

I'm definately interested....I need something to get my arse of the couch.

Comment

I have two size 11 boots with a strong knee jerk if it'll help?

Cambrian Patrol facebook page

Last edited by ZULU; 11 June 2010, 00:39.

Comment

Page for Exercise Cambrian Patrol 2010

Some very good files attached to this page
                        2009 Post Expedition Report
                        Last edited by concussion; 11 June 2010, 16:15.

Comment

Sounds bloody fantastic

Attached Files

Comment

If you read my first post you would have found this link.

Comment

Sorry, I stopped at the contact details because I was trying to remember where else I had seen it posted. My apologies.

Comment

Working...
                              X