This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Craghopper View Post
    Should you not be getting pissed beside a pool or some thing?
    been on the water slides all day and i'm taking a break - and you know i never miss an opportunity to call men to the fold Crag!
    RGJ

...Once a Rifleman - Always a Rifleman... Celer et Audax

The Rifles

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalGreenJacket View Post
      been on the water slides all day and i'm taking a break - and you know i never miss an opportunity to call men to the fold Crag!
      lolz..The drought might be over sooner than you think

Comment

Originally posted by Craghopper View Post
        lolz..The drought might be over sooner than you think
        never mind, we are also already over subscribed but it would be nice for Irish lads to be able to become soldiers in their own Army without having to leave their country like myself and hundreds of others have.

but in the meantime until you guys are recruiting / promoting again, we are more than happy to have your lads on board.
        RGJ

The Rifles

Comment

But the most sensible thing for any young Irishman to do would be to head west and join the US Army or Marines- do his stint and then use a vets programme to get into Cornell or Harvard.
          Bottom line, it should be the "Home of the Brave and Land of the Free" everytime.

Comment

A good mate of mine is not long back from chad... A Private,,, who is super fit,, a good soldier and most of all going mad because he's doing fcuk all, he said moral is on the floor, He is thinking of gettin out if things dont change,, he got paid a small bit more than the above figure but is on a shoe string at home now!!!

The minister would want to find a mission quick time for the troops because if he doesnt alot will leave or as is already happening,,, getting lazy,gettin fat...there already bored!!

Comment

Originally posted by timhorgan View Post
              But the most sensible thing for any young Irishman to do would be to head west and join the US Army or Marines- do his stint and then use a vets programme to get into Cornell or Harvard.
              Bottom line, it should be the "Home of the Brave and Land of the Free" everytime.
              have you tried get into the USA recently and acquire a work permit / green card??? all this before you even consider joining the military???

you don't even need a passport to get to the UK and you can join 'locally' in Northern Ireland.

have fun waiting for your Visa mate.

Originally posted by madmullen58 View Post
              A good mate of mine is not long back from chad... A Private,,, who is super fit,, a good soldier and most of all going mad because he's doing fcuk all, he said moral is on the floor, He is thinking of gettin out if things dont change,, he got paid a small bit more than the above figure but is on a shoe string at home now!!!

The minister would want to find a mission quick time for the troops because if he doesnt alot will leave or as is already happening,,, getting lazy,gettin fat...there already bored!!
              i have 2 friends who are currently in the Irish DF who have already begun their application process into the British Army. both have done very well on all their exams so far and will hopefully begin their training in the British Army soon where they can have full careers and good promotion prospects ahead of them.

i've heard of many more in similar situations too.

it's good for us and good for the soldiers concerned.
              Last edited by RoyalGreenJacket; 31 July 2010, 17:46.
              RGJ

The Rifles

Comment

have fun waiting for your Visa mate.
                Very true. The Military over there wont & cannot assist anyone in getting a green card so they can join up.

Comment

Isn't the NZDF crying out for experienced "western world" soliders to join their ranks? Maybe that's an avenue for the PDF types feeling a little underwhelmed from their service? Doesn't always have to be the BA. Failing that, the private sector.

Comment

Given the television news every night, there will always be those who are attracted by the idea that Afghanistan is an adventure and exciting.

In reality its neither
                    Really? I don't know about that. I personally do find it an adventure. I have never had an experience like this and I enjoy it for the most part. Is it exciting - yes at times it is. Remember though that when you are in your late teens and early twenties you think you're indestrucible - nothing new about that. No-one thinks "Hey, let me join the BA, get sent to Afghanistan and get killed".
                    There may be only one time in your life when your country will call upon you and you will be the only one who can do the nasty job that has to be done -- do it or forever after there will be the taste of ashes in your mouth.

Comment

Originally posted by SwiftandSure View Post
                      Isn't the NZDF crying out for experienced "western world" soliders to join their ranks? Maybe that's an avenue for the PDF types feeling a little underwhelmed from their service? Doesn't always have to be the BA. Failing that, the private sector.
                      it doesn't always have to be the British Army but the Irish DF are not on the list mate - here is a quote from the NZDF website:

"Welcome to the Overseas Recruitment section of the NZ Army website.

We are currently increasing our recruiting pool to include applicants of foreign nationality in order to meet personnel resource needs. However, we currently only have vacancies for current or recent ex-serving full time military personnel from either UK, Australia, USA, Canada...."

read more here:...

so it's either the British Army or the French Foreign Legion for Irish lads wanting to be Infantrymen and see some action NOW. i know where i would choose, as i made that choice over 21 years ago.

Originally posted by ARNGScout View Post
                      Really? I don't know about that. I personally do find it an adventure. I have never had an experience like this and I enjoy it for the most part. Is it exciting - yes at times it is. Remember though that when you are in your late teens and early twenties you think you're indestrucible - nothing new about that. No-one thinks "Hey, let me join the BA, get sent to Afghanistan and get killed".
                      i totally agree with you ARNG, i have not served in Afghanistan (not for the want of trying!) but my time in Iraq was probably the highlight of my career and more or less everything that could have happened did happen (the good AND the bad) and it's where i experienced real soldiering, where i knew that at all times - there were bad guys out there who wanted my head and those of my mates and we did everything we could to make sure we got them before they got us - and for me and my team - we were professional and i guess lucky and we came out unscathed.

good luck to the many Irishmen and other soldiers of all nations who have taken that leap into the British Army and other armies who have committed combat troops and will be at the sharp end of soldiering this winter.
                      Last edited by RoyalGreenJacket; 31 July 2010, 23:55.
                      RGJ

The Rifles

Comment

Ba rir

Somewhat surprised no mention made of Tim Collins ,ok he is not from the south, but he appears to be getting airbrushed out of history.

Comment

these comments were interesting from on Irish Sergeant:

"Sgt Joe Coyne of the Royal Irish comes from Newbridge, Co Kildare. He joined in 1997, and says Irish Army soldiers, frustrated by the lack of UN duties, are quitting and enrolling in the British army.

“They want to go to places like Afghanistan. The Irish Army doesn’t offer anything like that. Sure, they have a stable job for five years, but with very slow promotion,” says Coyne. “They want extra money for going away to places for six weeks. And you can buy your way out. Guys [in the Irish Army] are getting bored and fat and lazy. And they come back from UN missions with €25,000 in the bank. There’s nobody in the British army getting anything like that, even with the improvement in the overseas allowance brought in by David Cameron."

we certainly don't get paid as well on operations, but the operations we do are certainly where the action is and as a soldier it's there that you will find fulfilment.
                          Very strange and somewhat insulting comments from this lad-

I knew his dad- I know his uncle- I know his cousins- all very good Soldiers and decent skins.

Coyne cant possibly know that Soldiers are getting fat and lazy- thats to broad a statement

he could say - people I know are fat and lazy-

without access to all the records and reports

his statment is trite-

Making such definitive statements without being able to back them up would be similar to

me saying that Coyne is a bitter little man because he either failed in his application

to join us- or he got in and couldnt hack recruit training and was subsequently binned-

I have no clue as to- this is a fact- just as Coyne hasnt a clue about what he said
                          Last edited by hedgehog; 1 August 2010, 13:17.
                          Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
                          Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
                          The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
                          The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
                          The best lack all conviction, while the worst
                          Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

Originally posted by danno View Post
                            Somewhat surprised no mention made of Tim Collins ,ok he is not from the south, but he appears to be getting airbrushed out of history.
                            Not quite yet but maybe his history is being re-appraised! Perhaps more here soon!

For afficiandos of the bould Tim there is a delightful few discrete photos of him here I would like to share with you all in confidence!

God, makes you proud to be Irish!!!! Quis Separabit!!!
                            Last edited by timhorgan; 1 August 2010, 11:54.

Comment

Originally posted by timhorgan View Post
                              Not quite yet but maybe his history is being re-appraised! Perhaps more here soon!

For afficiandos of the bould Tim there is a delightful few discrete photos of him here I would like to share with you all in confidence!

God, makes you proud to be Irish!!!! Quis Separabit!!!
                              so Tim Collins bangs a Lambeg Drum - how does that make you proud to be Irish?

and these pics are hardly 'in confidence' as they are published online on the Internet for any half-wit who can use Google to see.

maybe quoting the motto of the British Army's Irish Guards makes you proud to be Irish - i just don't know any more Tim.
                              RGJ

The Rifles

Comment

it doesn't always have to be the British Army but the Irish DF are not on the list mate - here is a quote from the NZDF website:

"Welcome to the Overseas Recruitment section of the NZ Army website.

We are currently increasing our recruiting pool to include applicants of foreign nationality in order to meet personnel resource needs. However, we currently only have vacancies for current or recent ex-serving full time military personnel from either UK, Australia, USA, Canada...."

read more here:...

so it's either the British Army or the French Foreign Legion for Irish lads wanting to be Infantrymen and see some action NOW. i know where i would choose, as i made that choice over 21 years ago.

i totally agree with you ARNG, i have not served in Afghanistan (not for the want of trying!) but my time in Iraq was probably the highlight of my career and more or less everything that could have happened did happen (the good AND the bad) and it's where i experienced real soldiering, where i knew that at all times - there were bad guys out there who wanted my head and those of my mates and we did everything we could to make sure we got them before they got us - and for me and my team - we were professional and i guess lucky and we came out unscathed.

good luck to the many Irishmen and other soldiers of all nations who have taken that leap into the British Army and other armies who have committed combat troops and will be at the sharp end of soldiering this winter.
                                Found out today that the Irish are also included in this..A Sgt from a Dublin Unit transfered over to the Australian Army kept his rank and was then promoted after the Australian Army saw his record. It was in an Office capacity and approx 3-5 years ago.

Comment

Working...
                                X