Defence Cuts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pmtts View Post
    Too many Civi servants in the MoD. They have had a good innings, time to find alternative employment!
    Many of whom would be ex servicemen who went civvy for a cushy number.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Originally posted by DeV View Post
      According to Sky News you are facting cuts of 10-20%.
      as i said, we will wait and see.

what % of cuts will the 're-adjustment' of the strength of the Irish DF reflect when it is complete?
      RGJ

...Once a Rifleman - Always a Rifleman... Celer et Audax

The Rifles

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalGreenJacket View Post
        as i said, we will wait and see.

what % of cuts will the 're-adjustment' of the strength of the Irish DF reflect when it is complete?
        We'll wait and see till the re-org is ready, but not half as bad as you are looking at

Comment

And on a side note my Dad's bigger than your dad etc...

Please children, its gone past annoying
          "The Question is not: how far you will take this? The Question is do you possess the constitution to go as far as is needed?"

Comment

Too many Civi servants in the MoD. They have had a good innings, time to find alternative employment!
            But aren't most of them actually the guard force, mod police, store men, dockyard workers, mechanics etc, that units need to remain operational.

Actually very few of the 85,000 being touted are pen pushers in whitehall.

Comment

Originally posted by ZULU View Post
              And on a side note my Dad's bigger than your dad etc...

Please children, its gone past annoying
              i don't want to go down this road either but the Brits and Americans on here seem to be able to face the facts while Paul G tells me our "Challenger 2's are going" (and still hasn't explained this) and 'the Irish DF cuts won't be half as bad as ours' when in reality they may well be - a 15% stealth cut in the establishment of the Irish DF is certainly worth noting.

every country is under pressure to make cuts and it's sad to say but even in these troubled times - no military is safe.
              Last edited by DeV; 14 August 2010, 13:08.
              RGJ

The Rifles

Comment

No matter how bad us or the 2 bob bits think we have it:

The poor Peruvian army have to resort to this type of protest.

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
                Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
                The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
                The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
                The best lack all conviction, while the worst
                Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

lol, thanks for putting things into perspective Hedgie!

none of us will be that bad off - i hope!
                  RGJ

The Rifles

Comment

Thats a report from todays online times detailing how the poor Peruvian Soldiers

have to strike

From my limited SPanish the sign reads something akin to

"if no soloution- restart the strike"

or it could mean- I look like the worlds biggest sardine
                    Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
                    Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
                    The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
                    The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
                    The best lack all conviction, while the worst
                    Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

instead of having endless MT parks full of a complete regiments worth of armour that doesn't get used except on exercise and soldiers spending most of their time maintaining these vehicles so they can go on exercise and continue to exist - put the bulk into storage in a preserved state and maintain minimal amounts for soldier training in each unit and a pool of vehicles purely for exercise.

this is what we have already been doing with Whole Fleet Management (WFM) and it work's very well while keeping a required level of training for the troops without endless man hours wasted on the MT parks maintaining vehicles.

more details can be found here:

www - WFM

anyhow, Liam Fox has just issued a statement about the way forward for the MoD so we will see what happens.

"Its kinda funny this feeling inside" Just like the soviets during the cold war - shit load of equipment and very few trained on it . Nato always relied on the ability of Russia to mobilise and train troops up to speed to give them the advantage. Is this a case of the cart before the horse. I hope ye have a better training plan
                      Last edited by apc; 14 August 2010, 17:27.

Comment

Originally posted by paul g View Post
                        But aren't most of them actually the guard force, mod police, store men, dockyard workers, mechanics etc, that units need to remain operational.

Actually very few of the 85,000 being touted are pen pushers in whitehall.
                        Technically the MOD Police are Crown,not Civil Servants. The same no doubt would apply to the Guard Force.

As for Civil Service dockyard workers? most if not all the naval dockyards are owned and run by private companies.

Comment

i don't want to go down this road either but the Brits and Americans on here seem to be able to face the facts while Paul G tells me our "Challenger 2's are going" (and still hasn't explained this)
                          every country is under pressure to make cuts and it's sad to say but even in these troubled times - no military is safe.
                          MOD: Some of post moved to new thread

I have explaine this look at post 22 about the ammunition problems Challenger 2 is going to be retired or reduced to token status, it always has been prime candidate for the chop
                          Last edited by DeV; 14 August 2010, 13:04.

Comment

Technically the MOD Police are Crown,not Civil Servants. The same no doubt would apply to the Guard Force.

As for Civil Service dockyard workers? most if not all the naval dockyards are owned and run by private companies.
                            Well its certainly not 85000 penpushers in whitehall they're talking about, they're simply aren't that many. A lot of jobs that were civilianised during the 1990's are technically civil servants are they not.
                            Last edited by paul g; 14 August 2010, 12:03.

Comment

Originally posted by paul g View Post
                              Well its certainly not 85000 penpushers in whitehall they're talking about, they're simply aren't that many. A lot of jobs that were civilianised during the 1990's are technically civil servants are they not.
                              Check for yourself. Direct.Gov usually gives a comprehensive list of who is classed as a Civil Servant

Comment

Apolgies to posters. while moving posts to a new thread parts may have been lost

Comment

Working...
                                X