Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BA Scimitar overturns on A1 in West Yorkshire

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • BA Scimitar overturns on A1 in West Yorkshire

    I wonder if the AA or the RAC covered this...

    Army Scimitar overturns on A1 in West Yorkshire
    Scimitar reconnaissance vehicle A faulty wheel track on the Scimitar is believed to have caused the vehicle to veer off the road



    An armoured Army vehicle has overturned after veering off the A1 in West Yorkshire.

    The Scimitar reconnaissance vehicle left the southbound carriageway near Boston Spa after suffering a technical problem just before midday on Sunday.

    A Ministry of Defence (MoD) spokesman said the vehicle landed on its roof but the three-man crew were removed safely.

    The Scimitar was from the Queen's Own Yeomanry (Territorial Army) unit based in Newcastle and was heading to York.

    It was part of a five-vehicle convoy which included a recovery truck on to which the damaged Scimitar was loaded before the convoy continued its journey to York.

    No other vehicles were involved in the incident.

    An MoD investigation into the accident is under way but it is believed to have been caused by a faulty wheel track.

    A West Yorkshire Police spokesman said: "It suffered a technical problem and came off the carriageway on to the grass verge.

    "As it hit soft ground it turned over, coming to rest on its roof."

    The inside lane of the southbound carriageway was closed for two hours to allow the vehicle to be recovered.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...shire-12443353
    'He died who loved to live,' they'll say,
    'Unselfishly so we might have today!'
    Like hell! He fought because he had to fight;
    He died that's all. It was his unlucky night.
    http://www.salamanderoasis.org/poems...nnis/luck.html

  • #2
    it will of course be the REME who recover her (unless the Highways Agency want her out of there before the REME get there).

    i'm just glad the crew are safe because usually the Commander is killed in such instances - a well known fact and as my lads used to say to me "but that's what you get paid extra for to be up there!" when i was a Corporal and Vehicle Commander.

    a little Scimitar on it's roof is no big deal compared to some of the jobs the REME have to do:



    incidentally Flamingo and joking aside - the AA used to recover all of our Land Rover WOLF's when they were new because they all came with 3yrs AA cover as standard, so the actions on breakdown were ' call the AA number on the dashboard' - a sensible money saving operation by enjoying some of the benefits a civilian owner of a new Land Rover enjoys to the military.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by RoyalGreenJacket; 13 February 2011, 21:10.
    RGJ

    ...Once a Rifleman - Always a Rifleman... Celer et Audax

    The Rifles

    Comment


    • #3
      It said in the story that they had their own recovery vehicle. Whoever was on top must have ducked in pretty quickly!
      Worst I ever saw was a 1ton ambulance being rolled - no=one hurt, but an interview without coffee for the driver.
      Last edited by Flamingo; 13 February 2011, 21:44.
      'He died who loved to live,' they'll say,
      'Unselfishly so we might have today!'
      Like hell! He fought because he had to fight;
      He died that's all. It was his unlucky night.
      http://www.salamanderoasis.org/poems...nnis/luck.html

      Comment


      • #4
        Panhard 90 turned over about 4 years ago on the Curragh and the lad doing bosco killed

        instantly.

        Comment


        • #5
          Procedure up top would be to be ready for a quick drop. Seats are designed to collapse with the quick slap of a lever. Having hatches vertical rather than fully open gives the crew an extra chance also.
          The main thing is, if she is going over, do not attempt to jump clear. You are much safer inside.


          Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Flamingo View Post
            It said in the story that they had their own recovery vehicle. Whoever was on top must have ducked in pretty quickly!
            Worst I ever saw was a 1ton ambulance being rolled - no=one hurt, but an interview without coffee for the driver.
            indeed - all convoys have REME Recovery factored into the equation - if not in each packet they will certainly be following on behind.

            it is common practice for us to put out pre-emptive REME Recovery vehicles along the route over the UK (or any other long distance journey in any country) in order to recover any vehicles which misbehave along the way before the 'rear party' gets to them.

            job well done with no casualties - nice one.
            RGJ

            ...Once a Rifleman - Always a Rifleman... Celer et Audax

            The Rifles

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by RoyalGreenJacket View Post
              indeed - all convoys have REME Recovery factored into the equation - if not in each packet they will certainly be following on behind.

              it is common practice for us to put out pre-emptive REME Recovery vehicles along the route over the UK (or any other long distance journey in any country) in order to recover any vehicles which misbehave along the way before the 'rear party' gets to them.

              job well done with no casualties - nice one.
              I can remember doing packets with the REME vehicle bringing up the rear. A mate who was REME said it was their preferred location as by the time they arrived, all the guards had been allocated, everything set up, and the chefs had the kettle on and boiling!
              'He died who loved to live,' they'll say,
              'Unselfishly so we might have today!'
              Like hell! He fought because he had to fight;
              He died that's all. It was his unlucky night.
              http://www.salamanderoasis.org/poems...nnis/luck.html

              Comment


              • #8
                These have rubber pad tracks and are not so detrimental to the road surface as normal "Tanks".

                Connaught Stranger

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by kermit
                  Is it common for tracked vehicles to be on the public road?
                  yes mate the lads need to be able to be used to driving these tracked vehicles along highways and through towns etc, they are a common site on UK roads in certain parts.

                  Originally posted by Connaught Stranger View Post
                  These have rubber pad tracks and are not so detrimental to the road surface as normal "Tanks".

                  Connaught Stranger
                  thats's right CS, their bark is alot worst than their bite - they sound like they are churning up the road when you hear the tracks but they are infact fitted with rubber track pads.
                  RGJ

                  ...Once a Rifleman - Always a Rifleman... Celer et Audax

                  The Rifles

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by RoyalGreenJacket View Post
                    yes mate the lads need to be able to be used to driving these tracked vehicles along highways and through towns etc, they are a common site on UK roads in certain parts.



                    thats's right CS, their bark is alot worst than their bite - they sound like they are churning up the road when you hear the tracks but they are infact fitted with rubber track pads.
                    A few years ago while visiting friends in Aldershot I was nearly ran over by two of the beasts coming from opposite directions. Other road users obviously know not to tangle with them.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by kermit
                      Is it common for tracked vehicles to be on the public road?
                      It is here, why not there?


                      Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
                        It is here, why not there?
                        It is cheaper to but them on the back of a lowloader for a number of reasons:

                        - less wear on tracks (rubber wears away)
                        - maintainance of tracked vehicles takes longer
                        - a tractor unit probably has better MPG

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by DeV View Post
                          It is cheaper to but them on the back of a lowloader for a number of reasons:

                          - less wear on tracks (rubber wears away)
                          - maintainance of tracked vehicles takes longer
                          - a tractor unit probably has better MPG
                          I wouldnt say that, The scimtar is a relatively light vehicle with a 4.2L Jaguar Petrol Engine.
                          A tractor unit however would probably be grunting a much larger diesel unit returning about 7mpg.
                          Our scorps regularly drive from DFTC to the Glen.


                          Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
                            Our scorps regularly drive from DFTC to the Glen.
                            I've also seen them do it on low loaders.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              You'll also get panhards on Low Loaders. More comfortable over long distances than driving them, but that is neither here nor there.


                              Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X