ISAF involvement in Afghanistan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DeV View Post
    Definitely! The US contributes 68% of the troops, 3% come from non-NATO nations.

http://www.isaf.nato.int/images/stor...ARCH%2004..pdf
    there ya go then
    RGJ

...Once a Rifleman - Always a Rifleman... Celer et Audax

The Rifles

Comment

The US decided they wanted to "liberate" Afghanistan but wouldn't put sufficient troops on the ground to do, in fairness NATO came to there aid. NATO isn't providing enough troops, so they look for contributions from other countries, even with this (and Afghan forces) there isn't enough.

When NATO members won't contribute enough troops to their own mission, why should non-members?

Comment

Originally posted by turbocalves View Post
        Can I make a suggestion that this thread title be changed to maybe ISAF involvement, becuase the lack of success is not just a British phenomenon, and although the thread was separated because of responses to RGJ, it is hardly fair to put the blame for the situation all at the feet of the BA.
        Done
        "Fellow-soldiers of the Irish Republican Army, I have just received a communication from Commandant Pearse calling on us to surrender and you will agree with me that this is the hardest task we have been called upon to perform during this eventful week, but we came into this fight for Irish Independence in obedience to the commands of our higher officers and now in obedience to their wishes we must surrender. I know you would, like myself, prefer to be with our comrades who have already fallen in the fight - we, too, should rather die in this glorious struggle than submit to the enemy." Volunteer Captain Patrick Holahan to 58 of his men at North Brunswick Street, the last group of the Four Courts Garrison to surrender, Sunday 30 April 1916.

Comment

Originally posted by DeV View Post
          The US decided they wanted to "liberate" Afghanistan but wouldn't put sufficient troops on the ground to do, in fairness NATO came to there aid. NATO isn't providing enough troops, so they look for contributions from other countries, even with this (and Afghan forces) there isn't enough.

When NATO members won't contribute enough troops to their own mission, why should non-members?
          With a few notable exceptions (like the Aussies), I wouldn't say there has been real pressure on non-NATO members to make significant commitments. Even then some of those nations were over-zealous in their commitment and didn't even need to be asked (like Georgia).
          "Everyone's for a free Tibet, but no one's for freeing Tibet." -Mark Steyn. What an IMO-centric quote, eh?

Comment

There are also some NATO members that don't pull their weight at all. Hardly worth their while being there.
            There may be only one time in your life when your country will call upon you and you will be the only one who can do the nasty job that has to be done -- do it or forever after there will be the taste of ashes in your mouth.

Comment

Originally posted by ARNGScout View Post
              There are also some NATO members that don't pull their weight at all. Hardly worth their while being there.
              Didnt Stanley McChrystal get the boot for such comments!
              But there's no danger
              It's a professional career
              Though it could be arranged
              With just a word in Mr. Churchill's ear
              If you're out of luck you're out of work
              We could send you to johannesburg.

(Elvis Costello, Olivers Army)

Comment

i don't think he was ever a member of IMO.
                RGJ

The Rifles

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalGreenJacket View Post
                  i don't think he was ever a member of IMO.
                  Boom Boom
                  But there's no danger

Comment

Lol

Comment

No he got the boot for damaging comments made by his staff in a national publication about the civilian leadership. That and getting rid of Burger King at the FOB's.
                      There may be only one time in your life when your country will call upon you and you will be the only one who can do the nasty job that has to be done -- do it or forever after there will be the taste of ashes in your mouth.

Comment

Ah, I thought it was over some disparaging remarks about wasting time visiting "token" allies, in a rolling stones interview. But I'm not up on all of this,

Though Burger King in FOBs ? I am curious!
                        But there's no danger

Comment

Originally posted by ARNGScout View Post
                          That and getting rid of Burger King at the FOB's.
                          feck they kept that quiet, i don't wanna go now that they got rid of Burger King in the FOB's.
                          RGJ

The Rifles

Comment

Ah, I thought it was over some disparaging remarks about wasting time visiting "token" allies, in a rolling stones interview. But I'm not up on all of this,

Though Burger King in FOBs ? I am curious!
                            http://www.csmonitor.com/World/2010/...ldiers-grumble.
                            "Everyone's for a free Tibet, but no one's for freeing Tibet." -Mark Steyn. What an IMO-centric quote, eh?

Comment

rgj You have been seriously handbagged by Swift and Sure , surrender when u have a chance .. Good analysis SWS
                              I have worked in several countries with long drawn out conflicts , after a few years the original reasons for intervention may have been forgotten , changed and forgotten ,, In then end it needs some original thought and strong leadership.. something scarce in the west today

Comment

lol i'm a Leinsterman not an Ulsterman but there will be NO SURRENDER here!

if anything we do prevents something like this then i'm more than happy to get stuck in. i'm just a grunt, but when i saw that footage that day i knew my military future would change forever - and it did.

i can't forget the thousands killed that day and i never will and if there is every any doubt in my mind about anything we do then i just think back to September 11th, 2001.

a simple view from a simple man but it's good enough for me.
                                RGJ

The Rifles

Comment

Working...
                                X