Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Df to send officers to British Army officers funeral.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Df to send officers to British Army officers funeral.

I may have got this wrong, but I heard on an RTE lunchtime programme that the DF are sending ( or allowing might be a better word) a group of Army officers to the funeral of Captain Lisa Jane Head who was killed in Afghanistan. Some of the DF officers knew and worked with her in Helmand Province I believe.
    According to the report , they asked, and were granted permission to attend in full uniform which is apparently a first. If the story is true, good show to all concerned on our side.

link at 1:38 : 20 approx
    Last edited by terrier; 24 April 2011, 16:10.

Irish troops wearing uniform in the UK wouldn't be a first..... for a funeral it may be.

Comment

Showing Sympathy & respect for a fallen member of an Allied Mission
      with whom they served is a great idea and shows just how far forward
      the two countries have moved.
      Pity the Terrorist Scum in the North & South and their retarded supporters
      could not learn the same lesson.

Connaught Stranger.

Comment

Originally posted by DeV View Post
        Irish troops wearing uniform in the UK wouldn't be a first..... for a funeral it may be.
        I remember photos in the local rag of our then CO in full uniform at the passing out of his son who was in the same Sandringham class as either Prince Harry or Willy (can't remember which)
        CRIME SCENE INSTIGATOR

Comment

Sandringham ???? Was he in the 330 by any chance ?
          Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier - Samuel Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by DeV View Post
            I think it's a first for a public ceremony : the Sandringham graduation quoted above would be considered private , wouldn't it ?

Comment

Originally posted by knocker View Post
              Sandringham ???? Was he in the 330 by any chance ?
              Wouldn't have a clue. it only stuck in my mind because he was our CO at the time and it struck me as unusual that he went in full uniform. The name was Smi/yth so it's not like it would be an unusual name on the role books
              CRIME SCENE INSTIGATOR

Comment

Originally posted by REX View Post
                I remember photos in the local rag of our then CO in full uniform at the passing out of his son who was in the same Sandringham class as either Prince Harry or Willy (can't remember which)
                It was Dec 06 the Lt Col concerned was in full uniform,the newly commissioned officer went to the Royal Artillery,the Royalty concerned was Prince William.
                I would have thought the British public were familiar with the ES appearing at various shows/gymkhanas regularly.
                Are the officers concerned having to fund themselves for the ceremony.

Comment

Attended a wedding of a PO who wore his No 1s in Britain, most of the

guest presumed incorrectly he was RN
                  Last edited by sofa; 24 April 2011, 22:48.

Comment

Men have attended snipers course in Sennybridge

Comment

I know of at least 2 irish army lads who have done courses at one of our engineer schools
                      Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier - Samuel Johnson

Comment

Current head of the Irish Coast Guard done a Clearance Divers course on the UK "mainland" also.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Originally posted by terrier View Post
                          I may have got this wrong, but I heard on an RTE lunchtime programme that the DF are sending ( or allowing might be a better word) a group of Army officers to the funeral of Captain Lisa Jane Head who was killed in Afghanistan. Some of the DF officers knew and worked with her in Helmand Province I believe.
                          brilliant that the Irish DF are attending (hopefully) however i'm not too sure how they would know Captain Lisa Head as it was her first tour and she was only in Afghanistan for 22 days and from what i am told the Irish DF never leave Kabul and certainly haven't been seen in Helmand.

perhaps they know her from her time in Northern Ireland or some training in the Curragh?

regardless - it's a great gesture, thank you.
                          RGJ

...Once a Rifleman - Always a Rifleman... Celer et Audax

The Rifles

Comment

We have been sending lads over to PSBC in ITC wales for years.Also we sent our instructors over to the FIBUA wing to learn the skills and drills before we started our own FIBUA instructors course.We also send folks from the DFTC over to Winterbourne Gunner for the CBRN instructors course.
                            "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

PDF Soldiers in the UK is not a new thing at all,

there is a great network built up between us and the non handsome British Army through

the likes of overseas and course here and there.

Its sad to see that young Capt was killed but I wonder why this funeral and not others

is the one that is attended.

And thats purely out of a noseyness wondering.
                              Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
                              Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
                              The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
                              The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
                              The best lack all conviction, while the worst
                              Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

Working...
                              X