British Forces improve Amphibious Capability

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• British Forces improve Amphibious Capability

Exercise Cypriot Lion is the largest Amphibious Exercise undertaken by British Forces in recent years:

i particularly liked the Leopard 1 based Beach Armoured Recovery Vehicle (BARV).
    RGJ

...Once a Rifleman - Always a Rifleman... Celer et Audax

The Rifles

No mention of the sale of Largs Bay though.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
      it's a bunch of soldiers and officers talking about an exercise training to improve their amphibious capabilities.

unless wanted to troll a forum or something - why would they mention it?
      RGJ

The Rifles

Comment

Because it is a huge loss in capability.
        Exercises like this should not be an excuse to show off the kit you have(tho the New BARV is awesome) it should show the MoD the deficiencies. Isn't that what exercises are for?

Comment

Wonder why the BARV is based on a Leopard rather than a British tank chassis?

Comment

[QUOTE=RoyalGreenJacket;337776]it's a bunch of soldiers and officers talking about an exercise training to improve their amphibious capabilities.

unless wanted to troll a forum or something - why would they mention it?[/Q

Exercises like this should... show the MoD the deficiencies. Isn't that what exercises are for?
            is it?

that's what PXR is for.

i don't see any other army out there saying "look - we are on exercise and this is sh|t because we don't have X and Y and we are getting rid of Z".

if you can provide examples of such then that would be great thanks.

i've seen plenty of other exercises posted here on IMO with no such mention of any shortfall - or criticism for it - i guess you are all perfect and it's only us who get it wrong all of the time.

Originally posted by easyrider View Post
            Wonder why the BARV is based on a Leopard rather than a British tank chassis?
            probably because we bought it 'off the shelf' - it was already in use with Dutch Forces - no point reinventing the wheel:

Last edited by RoyalGreenJacket; 2 June 2011, 14:04.
            RGJ

The Rifles

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalGreenJacket View Post
              is it?

i guess you are all perfect and it's only us who get it wrong all of the time.

Don't be so hard on yourself.

Comment

Don't be so hard on yourself.
                come back to me when you have something constructive to say.

strange you haven't piped up about any of the other Irish DF exercises posted on here for not highlighting any shortfalls, or don't they have any because they are Irish and we are British?

trolling is easy - you are getting very good at it.
                Last edited by RoyalGreenJacket; 2 June 2011, 14:23.
                RGJ

The Rifles

Comment

Hang on a moment there mr everything in british army is better than everyone else.
                  Look elsewhere on this board and you will see frequently posters including myself regularly saying "we should have" or "why dont we have" when it comes to equipment. How can you have missed the very long thread about the new combat jackets and how some don't like it? LTAV, Trucks, Helicopters? Are those who disagree with the purchases just trolls?
                  Is the BA a sacred cow that must only be praised because all of their equipment is perfect?
                  Get a grip.
                  YOUR GENERALS are criticising decisions made by the MoD to reduce amphib capability by the early sale of Largs bay. Are they also trolling?
                  It is a discussion board. Not a lectern for you to preach. You make a point, others take an opposing view sometimes. This is not the cue for you to pick up all your toys and run home.
                  If you want to make a post about how wonderful the BA is and expect us all to sit about applauding you, then you are in the wrong place.

Comment

Something constructive from another troll.
                    UK 'must invest in amphibious forces'
                    17 May 2011

The UK should avoid 'scepticism' and invest in amphibious forces to adapt to unpredictable future threats, the Commandant General Royal Marines has said.

Major General Buster Howes, in a speech at the Royal United Services Institute, said: "We can't just value and retain the capabilities of the moment, and for the crisis that we're in – we must carefully invest in contingency forces and try to insure against 'alternative futures' and Rumsfeld's 'Unknown Unknowns'."

Quoting a 1989 speech by US Marine Corps General Al Gray, Howes said: "'Amphibious forces, with their evolving, special capabilities, will increasingly emerge as the more logical force of choice'.

"This prescient assessment is now, increasingly being reflected in the defence policies, priorities and capabilities of, inter alia, America, Australia, India, France, Italy, Holland, Russia and China. Indeed, of those in the Defence 'premiership', only this island state evidences scepticism."

Howes said that expeditionary maritime capabilities enabled greater flexibility than either air or land power alone.

"There are only two means of theatre entry when not invited – exploiting the global commons of either the sea or air space," said Howes.

"The latter would require massive new investment by this country and would only ever partially meet the need to lift combat units let alone sustain them. …There is a reason why 92 per cent of the world's trade is moved by sea."

The UK was on a strong footing to further develop its amphibious capability, he said.

"…We have 500 years of experience of using the sea to our advantage. We already own the hardware to continue to do so. It can be projected forward without commitment and poise – if needs be, almost indefinitely, as a subtle and responsive instrument of coercion, conventional deterrence and force on mind.

"It can engage across the spectrum of interest, activity and conflict; ranging from building political trust and support through partnering; constabulary tasks to kinetic engagement."

"…Recognising that preventing wars is financially about 1,000 times cheaper than fighting them, we must be more sophisticated in the way we value and consequently fund those capabilities which can forestall conflict, that engage and influence and obviate the painful constancy of Wootton Bassett."

Comment

i posted a vid of an amphibious exercise out of interest and you criticise it because:

Exercises like this should not be an excuse to show off the kit you have(tho the New BARV is awesome) it should show the MoD the deficiencies. Isn't that what exercises are for?
                      you just couldn't miss an opportunity to have a go at us could ya?

seriously though - i don't see the Irish DF exercises on here or youtube or elsewhere highlighting their deficiencies so why criticise ours if we don't either?

like i said - that's what PXR is for.
                      Last edited by RoyalGreenJacket; 2 June 2011, 14:38.
                      RGJ

The Rifles

Comment

PXR? Is that the crowd who make cartoons?

Can you honestly find one clip on youtube where someone did not comment on the content saying "if only we had" or "they should have"?(unless comments were blocked of course).

I say it as I see it. The Inclusion of the bay class in the background during the interview with Col White could not be more obvious.

Comment

i posted a vid of an amphibious exercise out of interest and you criticise it because:
                          You posted yet another bullshit press release...you must post 10 different threads about how great the Britsh armed forces every ****ing week.

you just couldn't miss an opportunity to have a go at us could ya?
                          You couldn't miss an opportunity to spam the board with another press release.

Start a thread "RGJ's regurgitated press releases" and just add to that instead of starting a new thread for every single thing that goes on.

Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't the last amphibious landing at inchon? so what the **** is the point in maintaining tha capability?
                          Everyone who's ever loved you was wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by The real Jack View Post
                            You posted yet another bullshit press release...you must post 10 different threads about how great the Britsh armed forces every ****ing week.

You couldn't miss an opportunity to spam the board with another press release.

Start a thread "RGJ's regurgitated press releases" and just add to that instead of starting a new thread for every single thing that goes on.

Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't the last amphibious landing at inchon? so what the **** is the point in maintaining tha capability?
                            Careful now, trolls make rgj cry.

Comment

BARV looks like an impressive piece of equipment.

Comment

Working...
                              X