Canadian SAR Tech dies during rescue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canadian SAR Tech dies during rescue

Death of a Canadian Forces search and rescue technician during rescue mission:

RCAF News

A search and rescue technician from 8 Wing Trenton, Ont., died while participating in a rescue mission near Igloolik (Hall Bay), Nunavut, on the evening of Thursday, Oct. 27.

“On behalf of the Defence family and our brave men and women in uniform, I extend my deepest sympathies to the family, friends and comrades of Sergeant Janick Gilbert, who died yesterday in Nunavut.

“He lost his life in the service of his country while unselfishly answering the call for help,” said the Commander of the Royal Canadian Air Force, Lieutenant-General André Deschamps.

Sergeant Janick Gilbert was a search and rescue technician with 424 Transport and Rescue Squadron.

“It is with deep sorrow that we learned about the death of Janick,” said 8 Wing Commander Colonel Sean Friday. “Janick will always be remembered as a respected family member of 8 Wing who was committed to helping people in need. At this most sorrowful time, our thoughts and prayers are with his family and his many friends.”

The search and rescue mission was a collaborative effort that included aircraft and crews from 17 Wing Winnipeg, Man., 8 Wing Trenton, Ont., 9 Wing Gander, N.L., and 14 Wing Greenwood, N.S. It was coordinated by the Joint Rescue Coordination Centre in Trenton. The mission itself resulted in the rescue of two local citizens.

The incident is currently under investigation.
    RIP Sgt
    "On the plains of hesitation, bleach the bones of countless millions, who on the very dawn of victory, laid down to rest, and in resting died.

Never give up!!"

Rip
    Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat.

Comment

RIP Sgt

Comment

Deserves the same respects as some of our own.

Ar Do airm a Ais iompraigh..lui!
        Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Rip

Comment

Rip
            RGJ

...Once a Rifleman - Always a Rifleman... Celer et Audax

The Rifles

Comment

R.I.P.
              Go Mairidís Beo
              Go Mairidís Beo

Comment

Rip

Comment

Rip
                  Im Ron Burgendy??

Comment

Rip

Comment

Igloolik survivor calls rescuers 'heroes'

Adds he is 'so sorry' for sergeant who sacrificed his life to save them

One of the survivors of last week's fatal rescue mission near Igloolik, Nunavut, describes his rescuers as heroes.

"The one who came to us truly saved our lives, bailing water from the raft. We were helpless and he saved us," said David Aqqiaruq.

David Aqqiaruq told the CBC that those who rescued him and his son near Igloolik last week are heroes. The tragic day began when Aqqiaruq and his 17-year-old son Leslie went walrus hunting last Wednesday, about 90 minutes from Igloolik.

Both are experienced on the land, and both survived a rescue about two years ago from the same spot – the Fury and Hecla Strait between Baffin Island and the Melville Peninsula.

"Since when I was really young, I've been out with my dad," said Leslie.

The two set out in good weather Wednesday morning and were soon successful, bringing down a walrus to take back to Igloolik to share with their family and the community.

But the weather deteriorated. The winds rose, temperatures fell and sea ice began to form.

"We tried to go home, but the ice was too thick and we couldn't move. It was really a big surprise."

'I was scared. I thought we were going to die.'

When the pair didn't return Wednesday night, searchers set out from Igloolik. The Aqqiaruqs had registered their destination and had an electronic signal device with them, but nobody could find them in the moonless, snowy Arctic dark. All night and into the next day, Leslie and his father, who were in an open aluminum boat, were tossed on stormy seas in blizzard conditions that included 70 km/h winds. Their camp stove, the only source of heat, soon ran out of fuel.

"I was scared," said Leslie. "I thought we were going to die."

Eventually, rescue planes spotted them and tried to drop a phone, but the two couldn't get to it. On Thursday morning, crews dropped a survival boat, but even though the Aqqiaruqs were able to reach it, that didn't end their ordeal.

"There was a little food but we were really cold and we couldn't really eat it," said Leslie. "Our hands were cold. It was really hard to open [the packages]."

A stove in the survival boat got too wet to light. Their original boat slowly sank beneath the ice, taking all their gear with it.

Eventually, three search and rescue technicians, including Gilbert, parachuted into the water.

"Three soldiers were dropped off with parachutes from the Hercules that was sent to save us," Aqqiaruq said. "One of the soldiers made it to the raft but we couldn't see the other two."

The three men in the raft were eventually rescued by a Cormorant helicopter from Gander, N.L., along with one of the search and rescue technicians who was in the water.

The two soldiers left in the water were picked up by the helicopter. One of them, Canadian Forces Sgt. Janick Gilbert, died during the mission.

Details are unclear about how that rescue took place, but the military said Gilbert was "unsuccessful" parachuting into the water. The RCMP indicated he was found non-responsive in the water. Military officials said Monday the death remains under investigation.

'I am so sorry we put so many people through so much and especially the soldier who sacrificed his life to save us.'

"I am so sorry we put so many people through so much and especially the soldier who sacrificed his life to save us," he said.

Leslie said he saw the airman's unresponsive body on board the chopper.

"He wasn't breathing in the helicopter."

Later, at the hospital in Iqaluit, Leslie learned his rescue had cost Gilbert his life.

"If you could tell that rescue team, I feel sorry for them," he requested.

Leslie, who was resting at his home in Igloolik, said he keeps crying when he recalls the dramatic ordeal.

"It was really awful," he said, sobbing through his halting English. "I feel so sorry for the rescue team, really bad."

David Aqqiaruq says he and his son will both recover over time.

The military says the incident is still under investigation
                      "On the plains of hesitation, bleach the bones of countless millions, who on the very dawn of victory, laid down to rest, and in resting died.

Never give up!!"

Comment

Working...
                      X