New Zealand Defence Force

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by CTU View Post
    It hasn't helped that in the last 20 years there was a push to get more people into Third Level Education. When I was finishing Secondary School back in the early 00's, the teachers where actively pushing us to aim for University instead of leaving school and joining the workforce with GCSE/A levels (Junior/Leaving cert) only, with no real mention of Aprenticeships at the time from the schools. I remember the way it was put to us was you won't get a good paying job without a degree. Looking back though, I do wonder if they were more worried about the Schools Exam Result / League Table targets effecting Government Funding and less about our actual futures.

Add into that the use of the "gig economy" by many organisations has led to many young people entering a jobs market were there is few new permanent "jobs for life", and the companies are more intreasted in freelancers and short-term hires brought in with less benefits then the Legacy Employees, which, Post COVID has left them questioning if their loyalty to the company is being used and abused while Freelancers are headhunted and Agency Workers parachuted in to plug gaps on a premium, leading to a further brain drain were they are, being replaced by people with "book smarts" but no "street smarts" so to speak.
    Hard agree on everything here. At least in Ireland apprenticeships have made a really big come back. When I graduated from school about six years ago there were only trades. Now you can do apprenticeships in IT, finance, accounting, real estate, engineering, etc. A gym buddy did Accounting and had his full exam fees paid for by his sponsor. He was practising before a lot of people who went to university and had a massive jump on them in terms of work experience.

You get paid, you get experience, and you get a degree at the end. The DF is missing a trick not driving a huge expansion of apprenticeships.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jaque'ammer View Post

Hard agree on everything here. At least in Ireland apprenticeships have made a really big come back. When I graduated from school about six years ago there were only trades. Now you can do apprenticeships in IT, finance, accounting, real estate, engineering, etc. A gym buddy did Accounting and had his full exam fees paid for by his sponsor. He was practising before a lot of people who went to university and had a massive jump on them in terms of work experience.

You get paid, you get experience, and you get a degree at the end. The DF is missing a trick not driving a huge expansion of apprenticeships.
      And in fairness it seems to be to try and address critical skills gaps

For example 2 year Level 6 HGV driver apprenticeship

you do get an intro to other areas to build your understanding

Comment

I don't mean to speak for everyone, but for the most part: No.

Half my friends don't believe they'll ever get to retire. As CTU said, having a job for a year or two is really the norm. Most of my friends, myself included, fully expect to move industry at some point in their working lives. It helps to cope with the idea of working until you're die.

due to a recent (not optional) change in my occupational pension I’m more than likely the same.

due to circumstances, location etc where I work is a good fit for me. Also has very good job security (for private sector and industry). Otherwise I would be more mobile in terms of employment.

do you think for younger people they are employment mobile because of general terms & conditions of employment or does it make a difference? ie do they want to have new adventures, try lots of different things?

Comment

• Originally posted by CTU View Post

I have no problem with a highly educated workforce, the problem is, I learnt nothing from going through the model T style exam factory that was the secondary system, where if you didn't get atleast 5 A*- C's at GCSE you where treated as a failure and cast adrift....That system has also created , what I see is, a generation of "High Achievers" which looks down upon the so-called "low skilled" jobs, a term I dislike as the economy is as reliant (if not more) on those types of jobs as it is on some of the so-called "High Skilled - High Paying" jobs that Governments like to harp on about.
          In the boom, don’t think the “high achievers” were looking down on the tradesmen (or general operatives (ie labourers)) coming out with massive money.

Comment

• Originally posted by DeV View Post

In the boom, don’t think the “high achievers” were looking down on the tradesmen (or general operatives (ie labourers)) coming out with massive money.
            Their parents were, when they were putting pressure on them to go to Oxbridge while also hiring cheaper Eastern European Builders to build their Extension while at the same time regurgitating the Daily Fail and Torygraph bemoaning said Eastern European taking jobs. ​

All you have to do is watch "The Apprentice" and see that the ones I'm on about, who won't be picking up a broom or hammer, driving lorries or going out to pick the fruit and veg crop any time soon but will most likely, good help us, be the next generation of world leaders.
            It was the year of fire...the year of destruction...the year we took back what was ours.
            It was the year of rebirth...the year of great sadness...the year of pain...and the year of joy.
            It was a new age...It was the end of history.
            It was the year everything changed.

Comment

due to a recent (not optional) change in my occupational pension I’m more than likely the same.

due to circumstances, location etc where I work is a good fit for me. Also has very good job security (for private sector and industry). Otherwise I would be more mobile in terms of employment.

do you think for younger people they are employment mobile because of general terms & conditions of employment or does it make a difference? ie do they want to have new adventures, try lots of different things?

Tough question. I think it's probably a combination of both. Generally employers are pretty mercenary and young people are aware of it. Conditions vary depending on industry but for the most part are far behind what they should be. It's hard to have any sympathy or loyalty to employer after you've done a few years of that. Which leads you to asking what it is you're looking for from your job.

I think broadly people my age are looking for one of two things. Fulfilling work or money. If you want fullfilling work, you're probably going to do a lot of job hopping while you figure out what suits you.

If you want money, you simply get the best pay rises by switching jobs frequently. If you stay in your job you will be extremely lucky to get more than 10%, in a year where inflation was 8%. If you switch positions you get much higher pay rises. For me, getting another 10% next year will be like blood from a stone, if I apply for other jobs I can expect pay rises of at least 20%. String together a decade of job switching every few years and you can be making a lot of money.

Comment

Tough question. I think it's probably a combination of both. Generally employers are pretty mercenary and young people are aware of it. Conditions vary depending on industry but for the most part are far behind what they should be. It's hard to have any sympathy or loyalty to employer after you've done a few years of that. Which leads you to asking what it is you're looking for from your job.

I think broadly people my age are looking for one of two things. Fulfilling work or money. If you want fullfilling work, you're probably going to do a lot of job hopping while you figure out what suits you.

If you want money, you simply get the best pay rises by switching jobs frequently. If you stay in your job you will be extremely lucky to get more than 10%, in a year where inflation was 8%. If you switch positions you get much higher pay rises. For me, getting another 10% next year will be like blood from a stone, if I apply for other jobs I can expect pay rises of at least 20%. String together a decade of job switching every few years and you can be making a lot of money.
                +1, also if your single with no commitments, that will also be a factor in the long term planing, although I also have come across a few young hot heads who when they made a few quid, it burnt a hole in their pockets before the end of the weekend....
                It was the year of fire...the year of destruction...the year we took back what was ours.
                It was the year of rebirth...the year of great sadness...the year of pain...and the year of joy.
                It was a new age...It was the end of history.
                It was the year everything changed.

Comment

• I think CoS is lurking on this thread given the latest article in the News section

Comment

I think CoS is lurking on this thread given the latest article in the News section
                    Quite possibly but interview was given before Christmas

Comment

Quite possibly
                      I hope to god he'd find better things to do with his time.

Comment

• Any thoughts on the Resignation of Jacinda Ardern? Has she been good for the NZDF? She seems to have triggered all the antivaxers aroud the world. I hope she gets a chance to live her life now.
                        Not every first term PM has to deal with a major natural disaster and a global pandemic during their time in office.
                        For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

• She could have done more for Defence but I have said that about nearly every Prime Minister. Jacinda Adern at least kept to the Defence White Paper of 2016 of the prior government during her first term from 2017 until 2020 when she was in coalition with NZ First a Conservative party. Over the last 2 years not so solid as the resignations over the last year due to having NZDF staff rotated through MIQ facilities for 2 years was hugely damaging. So a mixed bag when it comes to Defence.

Comment

The DF is leading by giving it's aircraft techs a degree. In aviation these days, a degree is a much better door opener than a stand alone apprenticeship, especially in leasing and flight and maintenance management.

Comment

• Gives a whole new meaning to the military acronym for PMT.

Comment

• Good for them!
                                Have there been any issues in NZ service with the NH90?
                                For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

Working...
                                X