RAF Regiment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RAF Regiment

Hi i was looking at careers in the RAF and one which seemed very attractive is that of a gunner in the RAF Regiment. However while i did read up on the background of the regiment and its roles i'm looking for advice from people who have first hand experience or know a friend who knows a friend. It pays better than the army and they have a squadron who are paratroopers plus you don't hear much about any of them being killed (not that i've heard anyway). Any advice would be appreciated.

Originally posted by balderick
    Hi i was looking at careers in the RAF and one which seemed very attractive is that of a gunner in the RAF Regiment. However while i did read up on the background of the regiment and its roles i'm looking for advice from people who have first hand experience or know a friend who knows a friend. It pays better than the army and they have a squadron who are paratroopers plus you don't hear much about any of them being killed (not that i've heard anyway). Any advice would be appreciated.
    My father was in it for five years and he loved it. That was the 50s though!
    www.twitter.com/mickthehack

Comment

Trained with a few of them. Seemed to be ok guys. They did all the usual infantry stuff and were well trained and equiped...... but they... they.... were Air Force. :confused: :confused: :confused:

Comment

Isn't their nickname the Rock Apes, or something similar?
        www.twitter.com/mickthehack

Comment

I asked about this DM.

Seems only one unit in RAFReg. gets this, "II sqd." (or 2 squadron, methinks???)

person didn't really know exactly why, but apparently somethng to do with a race up the Rock of Gibralter...........

The only thing I could think of was that it must be becasuse they won, and were named after the Barbary Apes that live there...........?
          "Rock Apes"
          Any one else know any different?

Comment

Join the RAF Regiment! - Be called a Crab* by the army, and a grunt by the real Crabs! It's the worst of both worlds!

*Crab (air) = British Army slang for RAF

Comment

Rock Apes this names applies to any member of the RAF Regt . The name is connected with the Rock of Gibralter and the Apes hense the name Rock Apes

Comment

Originally posted by Docman
                Trained with a few of them. Seemed to be ok guys. They did all the usual infantry stuff and were well trained and equiped...... but they... they.... were Air Force. :confused: :confused: :confused:

Was this FCA training? Do tell us more.

Later.
                No-one, I think, is in my tree...

Comment

Originally posted by strummer

Later.
                  I was kind of wondering that myself. Paratroopers Cse in Holland, perhaps?
                  Take these men and women for your example.
                  Like them, remember that posterity can only
                  be for the free; that freedom is the sure
                  possession of those who have the
                  courage to defend it.
                  Liberty is being free from the things we don't like in order to be slaves of the things we do like.
                  If you're not ready to die for it, put the word freedom out of your vocabulary.

Comment

I think I read somewhere that the RAF Regiment were supposed to be getting into the Combat Search and Rescue business. Anyone else hear about this?

Later.

Comment

Airfield security /protection is their main job. 2 Field Squadron has the airborne capability. They training is very similer to the Parachute Regt they have a number of bods in Special Forces. They do their own parachuting jump course at Brize Norton in Oxford . This is the same course for every paratroop qualification.

Comment

i think they use the rapier aa gun, and a lot of its members go on to serve in the sas
                        ________
                        vapir air one vaporizer
                        Last edited by Cpl Legs Lane; 20 January 2011, 13:39.
                        we live in a world with walls,and those walls have to be guarded by men with guns,you want me on that wall you need me on that wall.

Comment

Rapier AA gun ...I wonder do the RAF know they have that one...

Eh...The rapier is a missile system........Its alright I know you were only teasing us!
                          Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Originally posted by strummer
                            Parachute course in Holland.

Met them a few times on different courses and still keep in contact.

Comment

Originally posted by Docman
                              Trained with a few of them. Seemed to be ok guys. Did all the usual infantry stuff and were well trained and equiped...... but they... they.... were Air Force. :confused:
                              Ah ha !!! Somewhat misleading post here Doc !!! You took a course that some RAF regiment types were also present on !!! Not quite the same as training with them !!!

But that's OK. Because by applying the same yardstick to myself, I have trained with,

Every branch of US military and their Spec Ops types
                              FBI,
                              US Secret Service,
                              CIA,
                              Various Special Operations people of about 10 different countries,
                              More police forces than I can count,
                              Some anti-terrorist type gendarmie thingies....
                              ...etc

Impressive, eh????!!!! :wink:

Later.

Comment

Working...
                              X