Royal Irish to be stood down.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rod and serpent
    Dont quote me but I think that there are 2 other single battalion regts still on the scene: the Staffords and the Cheshires. I would like to see 1 Royal Irish survive for another while mainly because it is the last proper Irish infantry unit. There will be no change with the Irish Guards-they are protected- . The Gurkhas did fill a company size gap in the Royal Irish in Iraq and the Para`s at Drumcree. Ifthe British army took every gurkha applicant it would go someway in filling the manning gaps.

Regarding the NIH I have not heard any news of the proposed change.
    Read my post again. The demand would outstrip the supply.

Comment

The Grenadier, Coldstream, Scots, Irish and Welsh guards and the Life guards and the Blues and Royals make up The Household Division.

They are protected by order of The Queen and cannot be touched.
      The RIR was always gonna be at the mercy of the politicians as long the north was in trouble. Everybody knew that over 10 years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by BA_boy.
        The Grenadier, Coldstream, Scots, Irish and Welsh guards and the Life guards and the Blues and Royals make up The Household Division.

They are protected by order of The Queen and cannot be touched.
        The RIR was always gonna be at the mercy of the politicians as long the north was in trouble. Everybody knew that over 10 years ago.

The home service element was always conditional on terrorist action, once the conflict was over then in effect there was no longer a need for them. There will always be a need for the GS battalion in the regular army.

My spooling is apelling
        Last edited by rod and serpent; 24 February 2006, 21:08.

Comment

My apology's. I meant the HS batt's. Maybe they could transfer to the Micks, God knows their short staffed as it is.

Comment

The British Army needs to take on 15,000 new soldiers a year, but has been under-hitting that target by an average of 1,500 annually.

Yet they are making making up to 3000 redundant (I know many are part-time home service) but go figure.

Comment

Working...
            X