Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Type 26 Frigate

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Type 26 Frigate

    The first Type 26 Frigate super section was rolled out of the build hall earlier today. The aft section will join it in a few weeks time where they will be combined on the hard stand.


    This is the first of 8 planned (Originally 13 planned) with this one being laid down in July of 2017. This ship is expected to enter service in 2027.
    German 1: Private Schnutz, I have bad news for you.
    German 2: Private? I am a general!
    German 1: That is the bad news.

  • #2
    Are there only two workers at the yard?
    10 years from keel laying to service entry is a bit long, not sure it is a good advertisement for British Naval shipbuilding. An Italian FREMM frigate takes 4 years and it s just as complicated. Also not to be forgotten that the program started back in 1998!! How up to date will the weapons and system be when it finally enters into service most likely with a few years later than intended.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by EUFighter View Post
      Are there only two workers at the yard?
      10 years from keel laying to service entry is a bit long, not sure it is a good advertisement for British Naval shipbuilding. An Italian FREMM frigate takes 4 years and it s just as complicated. Also not to be forgotten that the program started back in 1998!! How up to date will the weapons and system be when it finally enters into service most likely with a few years later than intended.
      The tempo is as much abut keeping Scottish yards working (the only Anti-independence promise not broken) and less about delivering ships for the RN. Can't understand the logic in building it in supersections like this when other yards could build the entire ship under one roof.
      German 1: Private Schnutz, I have bad news for you.
      German 2: Private? I am a general!
      German 1: That is the bad news.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by na grohmiti View Post

        The tempo is as much abut keeping Scottish yards working (the only Anti-independence promise not broken) and less about delivering ships for the RN. Can't understand the logic in building it in supersections like this when other yards could build the entire ship under one roof.
        It’s all about work share... keeping shipyards open

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by DeV View Post

          It’s all about work share... keeping shipyards open
          All very good keeping yards open, but they are taking so long to build that once they enter service they will need their first upgrade/overhaul. The reason for the ship is that the RN needs to replace rapidly their existing Type23's. If a nation does not order sufficient warships to keep yards busy then they have to rely on exports but a lead time of 10 years is not going to encourage other nations to order BAe built ships. The last Type 23 to enter service was HMS St. Albans back in 2002 and that is the problem, the UK has not put the resources into warship replacement for 15 years. Instead they keep coming up with new "future" concepts, first it was the Type 31, now it is the Type 32. It rings a bit hollow like all the other promises made by the Brexiters: "believe us, way in the future Britain will be Great Again".

          The same can be seen with the Type 31 frigates, contract award in 2019 and they too are not expected before 2027. This contrast with the Iver Huitfeldt upon which they are based, ordered in 2006 and entered into service in 2011. The last vessel of this class only took two years to be completed.

          Apart of obsolesce the other issue that will happen is cost increases more the longer a program goes on. BAe will have fixed overheads for the yard and all the support it gets, this is nearly the same if they produce 1 ship a year or a dozen. So the more years it takes to get a ship to the customer the more these costs have to be paid. And on top of that will be the inventory that is carried until it is used and delivered to the customer.

          End effect is that BAe makes nice profits while the RN shrinks and shrinks.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by EUFighter View Post

            All very good keeping yards open, but they are taking so long to build that once they enter service they will need their first upgrade/overhaul. The reason for the ship is that the RN needs to replace rapidly their existing Type23's. If a nation does not order sufficient warships to keep yards busy then they have to rely on exports but a lead time of 10 years is not going to encourage other nations to order BAe built ships. The last Type 23 to enter service was HMS St. Albans back in 2002 and that is the problem, the UK has not put the resources into warship replacement for 15 years. Instead they keep coming up with new "future" concepts, first it was the Type 31, now it is the Type 32. It rings a bit hollow like all the other promises made by the Brexiters: "believe us, way in the future Britain will be Great Again".

            The same can be seen with the Type 31 frigates, contract award in 2019 and they too are not expected before 2027. This contrast with the Iver Huitfeldt upon which they are based, ordered in 2006 and entered into service in 2011. The last vessel of this class only took two years to be completed.

            Apart of obsolesce the other issue that will happen is cost increases more the longer a program goes on. BAe will have fixed overheads for the yard and all the support it gets, this is nearly the same if they produce 1 ship a year or a dozen. So the more years it takes to get a ship to the customer the more these costs have to be paid. And on top of that will be the inventory that is carried until it is used and delivered to the customer.

            End effect is that BAe makes nice profits while the RN shrinks and shrinks.
            Which is why they need to be consolidated but often you’ll find that they are in key Conservative constituencies

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by DeV View Post

              Which is why they need to be consolidated but often you’ll find that they are in key Conservative constituencies
              Both Babcock in Rosyt and BAe Systems in Govan are SNP seats, while Cammell Lairdis in Birkenhead which is Labour. In fact both Devonport and Portsmouth also voted Labour

              Comment


              • #8
                The first Australian T26 HMAS Hunter is due to be laid down in 2022 and not commissioned until 2031...
                'History is a vast early warning system'. Norman Cousins

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by spider View Post
                  The first Australian T26 HMAS Hunter is due to be laid down in 2022 and not commissioned until 2031...

                  And the troubling thing is that the final critical design review is planned for mid-2024. Costs are skyrocketing in all three Type 26 sub-programmes. Make no mistake they will be very capable warships, but very expensive ones. In my view the USN in the Constellation Class has taken the right approach (Ditching the brain fart LCS approach of the Rumsfeld area Pentagon and back to a orthodox Frigate in the Perry Class mould). Choose a modern design, the FREEM, and improve upon it, add the latest OEM systems, plan to build it in greater numbers and effectively get a vessel in close parity for half the money, (really it is in the ASW role that the T26 is the gold medal winner - but the FREEM/Connie is no slouch and coupled with a MH-60R will be a very good sub hunter).

                  I cannot see the Type 26 making further sales beyond the RN, RAN and RCN simply due to cost, nor can I see the Type 31 as outlined for RN service being of great interest in the export market as it really is the low capability budget model. However, the bare bones of the OMT Iver Huitfeld design that the Type 31 is developed from is a good honest combat ship, and the UK could have a capable moderately priced and export competitive frigate if it went to leveraging supplier led components and systems found in the Type 26 and Connie Class, like adding Mk41 VLS, ability to launch Kongsbergs NSM ect.. to give it a bit more bite. Hopefully that is what the Type 32 might be. Then again logic and the British government are often mutually exclusive.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by spider View Post
                    The first Australian T26 HMAS Hunter is due to be laid down in 2022 and not commissioned until 2031...
                    By which time the USN might just have their 20th Constellation class about to enter service and it started much later!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by EUFighter View Post

                      By which time the USN might just have their 20th Constellation class about to enter service and it started much later!
                      Maybe but my point is the first of class in Australia is taking a similar time to build as the UK one
                      'History is a vast early warning system'. Norman Cousins

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Click image for larger version

Name:	glasgow1.jpg?auto=compress%2Cformat&crop=top&fit=crop&h=580&ixlib=php-3.3.0&w=1021&wpsize=td_1021x580&s=0ceb0dadcd2ae2b841523ceafda93f08.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	110.1 KB
ID:	726735

                        HMS Glasgow hull blocks joined together (ukdefencejournal.org.uk)
                        German 1: Private Schnutz, I have bad news for you.
                        German 2: Private? I am a general!
                        German 1: That is the bad news.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Quite an achievement when you consider the tight confines of the Govan Yard.
                          German 1: Private Schnutz, I have bad news for you.
                          German 2: Private? I am a general!
                          German 1: That is the bad news.

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X