UCD memorial for International Brigade soldier

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UCD memorial for International Brigade soldier

Some students in UCD are attempting to have the Students Union campaign for a memorial to a student who fought and died in the Spanish Civil War. Online discussion HERE.
    "Why, it appears that we appointed all of our worst generals to command the armies and we appointed all of our best generals to edit the newspapers. I mean, I found by reading a newspaper that these editor generals saw all of the defects plainly from the start but didn't tell me until it was too late. I'm willing to yield my place to these best generals and I'll do my best for the cause by editing a newspaper"
    Gen. Robert E. Lee

They had (and have) much better PR.

That said most members of the International Brigade joined up with high ideals and good motives (the same can probably be said for Eoin O'Duffy's volunteers) but the once they got to Spain, the reality was much different.

Between the Stalinists supporting the Republicans, and the Fascists supporting the Nationalists, along with local mentalists on both sides, good motives didn't go too far, many (if not most) of the International Brigade members became extremely disillusioned with what they found when they arrived. They didn't get much in the way of military training or equipment either, so casualties were fairly high.

Of course, Student Union types (and the left in general) apply the simplistic "four legs good, two legs bad" line of thought to the Spanish Civil War, so yay for the International Brigade, and boo for nasty O'Duffy.

Comment

I only re read Animal Farm the other day too.

I wish my SU exec members did interesting things like that. My 3 Sabbatical Officers are all the leading members of DCU Style Soc - Says it all really.

Comment

Shame UCD doesnt have a memorial for Sgt Mooney...a past student, more worthy no doubt...

Comment

Originally posted by bulldemboots!
          Weren't the International Brigade communists?...

You wouldn't expect a students union to campaign for a memorial to a fascist would you?
          sigpic
          Say NO to violence against Women

Originally posted by hedgehog
          My favourite moment was when the
          Originally posted by hedgehog
          red headed old dear got a smack on her ginger head

Comment

Working...
          X