X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cheers FM.

Comment

Hi GH
      My point about restoring old vehicles, guns and uniforms is a benign one. I'm all for saving old stuff that would otherwise be lost but not to the extent of glorifying mass murderers. I'm sure the fellas in Bovington that restored an old Tiger tank to running order do not see themselves as glorifying Nazism ,rather restoring a tank to the status of being unique among other tanks.
      regards
      GttC

Comment

Originally posted by GoneToTheCanner View Post
        Hi GH
        My point about restoring old vehicles, guns and uniforms is a benign one. I'm all for saving old stuff that would otherwise be lost but not to the extent of glorifying mass murderers. I'm sure the fellas in Bovington that restored an old Tiger tank to running order do not see themselves as glorifying Nazism ,rather restoring a tank to the status of being unique among other tanks.
        regards
        GttC
        I've no real problem with preserving these things either. I was just referring to the unfortunately now deleted SS Re-enactment thread where there were considerable objections to the practice.
        sigpic
        Say NO to violence against Women

Originally posted by hedgehog
        My favourite moment was when the
        Originally posted by hedgehog
        red headed old dear got a smack on her ginger head

Comment

ss

Dear waffenhistory who mention reenacting ?? you did !! from what i can see your post seems to be a little inaccurate, from what i have read so far, a fair debate is on , its not one sided from what i can see, this is a good forum please dont knock it , if you dont like this forum dont log on , good debate guys some very interesting points have been made

Comment

For anyone who wants to read an account of an SS trooper's war, I'd recommend "Black Edelweiss" - idealist youth joins the SS (Nord Division IIRC), fights in N. Russia then has to come to terms with the horrific crimes of the regime and the branding of all the SS as a criminal organisation - very good indeed.
            "Hello, Good Evening and Bollocks..."

Roger Mellie

Comment

Originally posted by jack View Post
              Dear waffenhistory who mention reenacting ?? you did !! from what i can see your post seems to be a little inaccurate, from what i have read so far, a fair debate is on , its not one sided from what i can see, this is a good forum please dont knock it , if you dont like this forum dont log on , good debate guys some very interesting points have been made
              In fairness to waffenhistory, he is referring to another thread which was pulled due to the way it was let run "wild" , resulting in many objections from members of IMO.

The thread was deemed unsalvageable and hence this new thread.
              A fresh start.....for everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by Joshua View Post
                In fairness to waffenhistory, he is referring to another thread which was pulled due to the way it was let run "wild" , resulting in many objections from members of IMO.

The thread was deemed unsalvageable and hence this new thread.
                A fresh start.....for everyone.
                my apologies thank you for clearing that up

Comment

Originally posted by Kieran View Post
                  Never more then 2 platoons from what i heard. Anyone know what happened to any of them after the war?
                  Remember reading that the head NCO an RSM or similar was actualy in contact with Brit Mil Intel. Also one of the members won the German All Army Boxing title.
                  Lifes a bitch, so be her pimp!

Comment

Interesting thread, personally I've always seperated the actions of the Waffen SS from the actions of the other two branches. Yes the Waffen SS committed atrocities but no where near to the extent of the Allgemeine SS or the TotenkopfverbÀnde which were the concentration camp guards. They were front line troops, mostly volunteers and by wars end were made up of more than 50% non Germans. After the war some of the French SS men joined the French Foreign legion and went on to fight in Indochina. A very good book if you can get a copy is 'Ashes of Honour' by Christian De La Maziere who was a french volunteer in the Waffen SS.

Just found this interesting link,
                    http://www.scrapbookpages.com/Dachau...ersKilled.html

Comment

Yes the Waffen SS committed atrocities but no where near to the extent of the Allgemeine SS or the TotenkopfverbÀnde which were the concentration camp guards.
                      so how many atroticies are ok- 1 - 10-100 etc

good link- email lthe web master and ask his views

and my jaysus do you get both barrells from him
                      Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
                      Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
                      The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
                      The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
                      The best lack all conviction, while the worst
                      Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

Working...
                      X