Old Photos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

lol...the 4-8 watch.....bad sleeper.
    Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Originally posted by Test Pilot View Post
      Murpf, what has you up at 04.14 hrs?
      Shift work?
      "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

Originally posted by hptmurphy View Post
        lol...the 4-8 watch.....bad sleeper.
        I have no problem sleeping! I was on duty one cold winters night in the base, as duty PO and after the last launch I came back to the guard room and could not keep my eyes open! I said to the Guard commander ' look I'm just going to lie down for half a hour, if you need me just give me a shout - I'll be in the cell'' So I lay down for a few minutes with hat, overcoat, leggings, boots and gun.

I woke up eight hours later to the the sound of the guard commander on the base public address system - 'Duty PO report to the guard room, Duty PO report to the guard room'......... The oncoming guard and DO were met with a 'Wursel Gummege spector' standing at the cell as the door opened beside them!
        Last edited by Test Pilot; 28 April 2007, 14:53.

Comment

Shift work ..lol...maybe if I had a job.....

I remember it got so bad doing duties one in three back in the bad old days..I actually fell a sleep on QM one night standing up....

lesson I learned from the NS....get the head down as much as you possibly can..whenever you can....you might not get another chance anytime soon.
          Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Yup! I'm still the same, I start to wilt after the witching hour, while others are only getting going as soon as it gets dark! Yes, I once shared a cabin with a night owl, asleep all day on his feet, and in full flight at night!

Comment

Hi Guys
              With reference to the naval ship posted 26th I would agree it looks like an ex USN vessel as far as I can tell they were built with a semi circular bridge as can be seen in the photo
              Now can anyone tell me who .who donned the pigs ears alond side in Dublin to look like Mr Spock????.

Comment

Its Me again Ialways liked the 4 to 8 watch in the old days on QM more time to dio what you want to do dobieng etc and there was always more room over No 1 boiler to dry the wash then.Any on e remember those days

Comment

Originally posted by stargazer View Post
                  Its Me again Ialways liked the 4 to 8 watch in the old days on QM more time to dio what you want to do dobieng etc and there was always more room over No 1 boiler to dry the wash then.Any on e remember those days
                  What ship was that, Stargazer?

Comment

Originally posted by stargazer View Post
                    Hi Guys
                    With reference to the naval ship posted 26th I would agree it looks like an ex USN vessel as far as I can tell they were built with a semi circular bridge as can be seen in the photo
                    Now can anyone tell me who .who donned the pigs ears alond side in Dublin to look like Mr Spock????.
                    Was that on the Eithne? Because I had a photo of the pig, with hat and glasses, before he lost his ears! Now where to find it?

Comment

Just got a Lawerence Dunn ships recognition hand book from 1952 today...I love ebay

Its an ex American PC type alright

Steel hulled mineswepers/sub chasers. Seems that the immediste after war pennant numbers changed and these vessels were name.Unfortuneately I can't name the vessel although I have the coplete fleet list.

Specs.

Built 1942-44

Displacement : 320 tons

Dimensions : 173ft x 23ft

main armament : 1 x 3 inch plus 20mm and 40mm weapons, depth charge throwers

Engines : Diesel

Speed : 19kts

Recognition features : Low flush decked hull with low bridge and little other superstructure.Crowsnest on tall mast, lip top to short funnel.

On believe the vessels name would be held in the harbour masters office archives in Waterford with the Harbour Commissioners Board. I'll try to make contact and see what else I can dig out.

just found this on amazon..might help.

The french "W" designator is correct..is the 132 pennant number...I reckon that this changed to a "6" and she may be "632 Glaive"

This is getting out of control..somebody stop me!!!!

Last edited by hptmurphy; 30 April 2007, 22:21.

Comment

Welll done murph.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Originally posted by hptmurphy View Post
                          Just got a Lawerence Dunn ships recognition hand book from 1952 today...I love ebay

Its an ex American PC type alright

Steel hulled mineswepers/sub chasers. Seems that the immediste after war pennant numbers changed and these vessels were name.Unfortuneately I can't name the vessel although I have the coplete fleet list.

Specs.

Built 1942-44

Displacement : 320 tons

Dimensions : 173ft x 23ft

main armament : 1 x 3 inch plus 20mm and 40mm weapons, depth charge throwers

Engines : Diesel

Speed : 19kts

Recognition features : Low flush decked hull with low bridge and little other superstructure.Crowsnest on tall mast, lip top to short funnel.

On believe the vessels name would be held in the harbour masters office archives in Waterford with the Harbour Commissioners Board. I'll try to make contact and see what else I can dig out.

just found this on amazon..might help.

The french "W" designator is correct..is the 132 pennant number...I reckon that this changed to a "6" and she may be "632 Glaive"

This is getting out of control..somebody stop me!!!!

http://www.history.navy.mil/photos/i...e/s511-33c.htm
                          Thanks for all the information, its nice to see that there is at least one of these old ships still around.

Comment

Right, smarty hole
                            can you tell me (genuine question) why French naval vessels have the phrase "commandant du vaisseau" mounted on a plaque, usually somewhere below the front of the bridge.I've seen it on a few ships visiting Irish ports, over the years and never understood it.
                            regards
                            GttC

Comment

Just found this website with a list of Free French sub chasers, no mention of W123 but there is a nice photo of W121. It would be interesting to see what date the ship was in Waterford. What would Irelands position have been towards Free French vessels during the Emergency?

http://www.warshipsww2.eu/lode.php?l...2&idtrida=1265

Comment

Originally posted by GoneToTheCanner View Post
                                Right, smarty hole
                                can you tell me (genuine question) why French naval vessels have the phrase "commandant du vaisseau" mounted on a plaque, usually somewhere below the front of the bridge.I've seen it on a few ships visiting Irish ports, over the years and never understood it.
                                regards
                                GttC
                                Many french warships are named after people. "Commandant du vaisseau" would have been their rank, but usually the ships name is shortened to their surname. For example, the recent cork visitor, "La Vallee" has th efull, but long winded name of "Lieutenant de vaisseau Lavallée". This, in common with other ships of the class, is named after a French Hero of the second world war.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Working...
                                X