No announcement yet.

Old Photos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not so strange..I remeber a guy who transferred into the 29th Bn in '87 from Mechs division..and found himself back on the Eithne during Operation mallard 6 months later.

Also the current editor of cosantoir was a mech in the navy prior to his transfer.
    Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

There was an American airship base at Aghada in Cork harbour..and a seaplane base at Johnstown in co. Wexford. As far as I know the gate piers to the base at Aghada were still standing up to recently..think there was acatually a foto of them on this site at one stage.
      Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Is that Johnstown as in Johnstown Castle in Wexford?
        "Gentlemen, you can’t fight in here...this is the War Room!"

Comment

Yup....

Comment

Originally posted by hptmurphy View Post
            Not so strange..I remeber a guy who transferred into the 29th Bn in '87 from Mechs division..and found himself back on the Eithne during Operation mallard 6 months later.

Also the current editor of cosantoir was a mech in the navy prior to his transfer.
            That's my point. In both cases, those guys were sailors first, then transferred to the
            Army...
            "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

Certainly one of the more elegant ships to have ever graced Dublin Bay.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by yooklid; 11 May 2007, 20:14.
              Meh.

Comment

There was an American airship base at Aghada in Cork harbour..and a seaplane base at Johnstown in co. Wexford. As far as I know the gate piers to the base at Aghada were still standing up to recently..think there was acatually a foto of them on this site at one stage.
                You are right about the piers, but was it not a seaplane base at Aghada? I know there was a hovercraft involvement there also, but I can't remember by who. The slips are still there and are in excellent condition, just behind the tennis club.

Comment

There was a Hovercraft factory there in the 70s. Some of them are still about. Next to the tennis Club. I think Midleton Transport have the building now.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
                    There was a Hovercraft factory there in the 70s. Some of them are still about. Next to the tennis Club. I think Midleton Transport have the building now.
                    Yes, Middleton transport have move on , it's a proper boat yard now, rapidly expanding, with near full facilities.

Comment

Yeah TP you are right..I got my bases mixed up.

Comment

Yeah TP you are right..I got my bases mixed up.
                        Thats ok, I get mixed up myself sometimes.

Comment

Here's a nice view of Haulbowline, not sure when it was taken, I'm guessing 1920's or 30's,

Comment

Another nice photo of a flotilla of US Navy subchasers at Haulbowline during WW 1,

Comment

Given the sailors uniforms, I'd be more inclined to say the second pic is taken in Aghada. I don't think the US Navy shared Haulbowline with the RN at any stage, and the horizon looks more like the upper east of the harbour.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
                                Given the sailors uniforms, I'd be more inclined to say the second pic is taken in Aghada. I don't think the US Navy shared Haulbowline with the RN at any stage, and the horizon looks more like the upper east of the harbour.
                                Thanks for that GF, I'm not too familiar with the area, I've only been to Cobh once.

This website has a copy of the same photo which they say was taken at Queenstown, http://www.subchaser.org/sc356

Comment

Working...
                                X