FF marking history help wanted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FF marking history help wanted

This is my first post so please bare with me !

Can any one assist in giving me some information about the FF/ Fianna Fail Irish ownership marking please ? I have info on British and Commonwealth markings but nothing that relates to Irish ordnance marks.

I am particularly interested to find out when the FF mark was first in use and if it is still in use (or when it was discontinued) ? Has the mark changed in style so an item marked could be dated ?

Any other incidental info would also be appreciated.

Many thanks in advance for any help, regards Kevin.

Hedgehog is the resident FF expert/spokesman/propaganda officer.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Is it the FF Cap Badge that your looking for information on

if so I bow to the superior knowledge of Groundhog

if its FF indoctrination then I am your man
      Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
      Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
      The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
      The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
      The best lack all conviction, while the worst
      Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

Appologies, I should have made things a bit clearer.
        Its the FF mark in relation to its use on ordnance,weapons and their accesories in particular.

Thanks for the input.

Comment

Now I'm lost.

Comment

Originally posted by Bodger View Post
            Appologies, I should have made things a bit clearer.
            Its the FF mark in relation to its use on ordnance,weapons and their accesories in particular.

Thanks for the input.
            is it the cap badge

have a look at military.ie
            Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
            Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
            The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
            The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
            The best lack all conviction, while the worst
            Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

No not the cap badge.
              The FF mark as stamped on to weapons and accesories as a mark of ownership.
              Picture below -

Comment

It was the cap-badge of the Irish Volunteers, the proud fore-runners of the modern Defence Forces.
                "Why, it appears that we appointed all of our worst generals to command the armies and we appointed all of our best generals to edit the newspapers. I mean, I found by reading a newspaper that these editor generals saw all of the defects plainly from the start but didn't tell me until it was too late. I'm willing to yield my place to these best generals and I'll do my best for the cause by editing a newspaper"
                Gen. Robert E. Lee

Comment

No not the cap badge.

The FF mark I am seeking information on was stamped on to weapons and weapon accesories to show proof of ownership.

Picture below -

Comment

Remember they used to stamp it on the chest of the OG combats, and the corners of the bedsheets?
                    I have never seen it on any weapon other than the 303 though.

Comment

I've seen it on clothing as Goldie says. I think brass button sticks had it on them as well.

I would guess that the photo shows markings on British kit inherited by the Irish Army during the Civil War period as proof of the new ownership.
                      sigpic
                      Say NO to violence against Women

Originally posted by hedgehog
                      My favourite moment was when the
                      Originally posted by hedgehog
                      red headed old dear got a smack on her ginger head

Comment

The FF mark I am seeking information on was stamped on to weapons and weapon accesories to show proof of ownership.
                        I noticed one stamped on the side of the large 4-wheeled green bins in a barracks recently.
                        "Why, it appears that we appointed all of our worst generals to command the armies and we appointed all of our best generals to edit the newspapers. I mean, I found by reading a newspaper that these editor generals saw all of the defects plainly from the start but didn't tell me until it was too late. I'm willing to yield my place to these best generals and I'll do my best for the cause by editing a newspaper"
                        Gen. Robert E. Lee

Comment

One of the Q regs would specify this... for example check out old Q2
                          "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

I seen old OG uniforms with it stamped on them, it is not used an more AFAIK on clothing/weapons.

Comment

I remember being stopped at CBB gates by the PAs [ as we all were back then in 1989 ] and my bag searched for FF-stamped combats. So began a long period of hatred
                              "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

Working...
                              X