Lee Enfield Rifle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lee Enfield Rifle

Does anyone know how the sight worked on this weapon. I know it was graduated in yards up to 1600 if the manual I found is correct and it was adjusted with a worm wheel.

But how did you use it? eg Was there a hole in it like the gpmg. You always line up the hole with the front sight. Adjusting the wheel raised the hole up.

P.S. Would one of the mods correct the spelling of the thread title. Thanks
    Last edited by Tribunius; 12 August 2007, 07:22.
    "Those who have long enjoyed such privileges as we enjoy forget in time that men have died to win them." - Franklin D. Roosevelt

I'm very tempted to reply to that from limited "experience" from a ww2 game but im just going to get too much flack from it :P

Comment

Originally posted by Tribunius View Post
      Does anyone know how the sight worked on this weapon. I know it was graduated in yards up to 1600 if the manual I found is correct and it was adjusted with a worm wheel.

But how did you use it? eg Was there a hole in it like the gpmg. You always line up the hole with the front sight. Adjusting the wheel raised the hole up.

P.S. Would one of the mods correct the spelling of the thread title. Thanks
      Correct.

Place the tip of the foresight in line with the aperture of the rearsight in line with........
      "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

The Lee Enfield No4 Mk 2 differed from the earlier SMLE in the location of the leaf type rear aperature sight, above the bolt. When not in use it folded flat but you had a simple battle sight, a large aperature which would give you a rough aim to get your first shot off.

Raise the sight(which was similar to the sights found on the bren, except the aperature was in the centre) and set your range. While there was no 100yard range mark, it was generally accepted that if you turned the adjusting wheel on the sight, each click was 50m, thus, two clicks below the 200 mark and you were set to 100. However the trajectory of the round was pretty flat at that range and there was little difference between 100 and 200. In practice we always set sights to 200 when firing from the 100. The Zeroing white square was placed at the top of the centre of the target rather than the absolute centre.. The Blade type foresight was protected from damage by very distinctive foresight guards.

Rear Aperature Leaf type sight of the Lee Enfield No 4 Mk 2. The aperature you look through is the small hole. The battle sight is the raised bit to the left on the photo.

It is unfortunate that we no longer have an aperature type sight in our rifle, as the learning curve for soldiers moving on to the MAG or BREN is so much higher now that you have to explain to them the rules of aiming again.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

The rear sight on the SMLE/No3 had a U shaped notch, similar to that of the rear sight on the EBS of the Steyr. Aiming was as per the EBS (except the pieces were smaller, allowing for much greater accuracy). Adjustment for range was similar to the GPMG (with the sight folded down) - you slide a piece of the sight forward to the correct range, and the edges of it rest against a ramp, raising the sight.

And yes, I have handled a SMLE, quite recently, before anybody accuses me of not knowing what I'm on about :P

Comment

Yes Barry, But were you ever TOET'd on it?

Comment

No, I haven't. Have you been TOETed on your zimmer frame?

(standing by, awaiting incoming.....)

Comment

The crap posts about Zimerframes & Stephen Hawkings Nurse have been moved. See below.

Keep on thread.

Comment

Can remember being on a combined PDF/FCA guard duty years ago with an Enfield.
                  The officer was having great craic trying to combine the different AD commands

"Iompraigh agus clíanaigh airm !"
                  "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

Better again an Orderly officer trying to mount a Guard with FNs and Styers given he was so young he never even saw an FN....

...Corporal...you do your own thing....!

Good thinking on that mans behalf.

Ah Barry but have you had the oppertunity to fire one recently?
                    Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

As a 2* being mounted on a PDF/FCA guard in 1989 , Steyrs FNs and 303s
                      "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

Originally posted by hptmurphy View Post
                        Ah Barry but have you had the oppertunity to fire one recently?
                        I pulled the trigger, it went bang (and quite a loud bang it was too).....
                        Originally posted by trellheim View Post
                        As a 2* being mounted on a PDF/FCA guard in 1989 , Steyrs FNs and 303s
                        "Gasra.........just put the bloody rounds into the rifles, lads"

Comment

Ah well then you know if you 'pull' the trigger with a .303 you'll hit nothing!
                          Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Squeeze, Barry, we squeeze...............

Comment

First pressure, second pressure..BANG..breathe

Comment

Working...
                              X